• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you guys reccomend Xenoblade 2 or 3 to someone who dropped 1?

At about chapter 8. Mainly for story reasons. The characters feel devoid of any personality and the pacing feels way too slow. Just constant fetch quests picking up party members for what seems like 25-30 hours. Crafting is also very weird and overcomplicated, not a fan of the weird love/support links thing. Does the following games change/improve on this?

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
2 is a lot better than 1 and the best Xenoblade game storywise. 3 is the best at everything else. The characters in 1 besides Melia basically amount to "I'm Shulk's best bud" "I Shulk's girlfriend", etc. They are likeable but shallow. In 2 and 3 all party members get a spotlight and a mini storyarc.

Last edited:
Yes, I would. The first game is very slow paced and it was very hard to stick with for me. First couple of tries I'd just put it down after about ten to fifteen hours in. Parts two and three kept me engaged the whole way through to the ends.

Chastten

Banned
Nope, probably not.

Xenoblade Chronicles X might be your best shot in the series, as that game is very light on story and is more about combat and world exploration, but sadly, it's stuck on Wii U. :(

Andyliini

I always recommend Xenoblade. 2 is one my favorite games of all time, but it might be difficult to get into if you did not enjoy 1. They are not directly related story wise, though.

SCB3

Probably not, at least with 2, its takes a long time to get going, its fantastic in the end however

I've not touched 3 yet and have limited experience of 1, X was incredible on Wii U and been meaning to replay it sometime

Pejo

I think 2 is a fantastic game all on its own and personally my favorite in the series. A lot of your experience is going to be what you think of the main cast though. If you like Japanese games from the early 2000s, XBC2 will be up your alley. Lots of quirky stuff, esoteric humor, fanservice, and a character driven plot.

If you don't like any of those things, it's probably not gonna wow you.

2 is great and it actually got me to play the first, which ended up being my favorite of the trilogy. The battle system in 3 is so dumbed down compared to the first 2 games that I ended up getting bored of it.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wouldn't bother if ypu didn't enjoy one.

I do feel the combat is vastly improved in the sequels but I've heard many still don't like it.

Personally I think they are the best jrpgs available today but I admit I haven't played tales of arise etc.

I'm open for some suggestions.

But yeah, tough call. I feel everything is tightened up in the sequels. I love them tbh.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I wouldn't bother if ypu didn't enjoy one.

I do feel the combat is vastly improved in the sequels but I've heard many still don't like it.

Personally I think they are the best jrpgs available today but I admit I haven't played tales of arise etc.

I'm open for some suggestions.

But yeah, tough call. I feel everything is tightened up in the sequels. I love them tbh.

I enjoyed my time with Tales Of Arise. The story is serviceable. The combat is great. The artstyle is beautiful.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I enjoyed my time with Tales Of Arise. The story is serviceable. The combat is great. The artstyle is beautiful.

I have it sat here. I got it really cheap over Xmas on disk. Like 7 pounds or something.

Just gotta wrap up like a dragon and ffvii rebirth at the end of the month then I'm gonna give it a good go

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
At about chapter 8. Mainly for story reasons. The characters feel devoid of any personality and the pacing feels way too slow. Just constant fetch quests picking up party members for what seems like 25-30 hours. Crafting is also very weird and overcomplicated, not a fan of the weird love/support links thing. Does the following games change/improve on this?
Totally agree. I dropped 1 after getting fed up with fetch quests and routine battles. Only the story advancing battles are interested and worth doing and there's too much filler in between.

IAmRei

I apmost drop one, but mechanical rythm made me finish the game. But i kind of agree with pacing in late middle game, kinda rushed. but it is kind of normal again in near end

Play on casual mode and get through the story at least, the story will start to ramp up. My favorite is 2 but playing 1 first enhanced my experience.

Probably not. Not a good sign that it is not clicking for you. Some of the things you're complaining about I'd say the series is great at, like the characters. When you say characters have no personality, I don't think I can give you good advice because the characters in XC games seem to have much more personality than most jrpg partys to me.

If you had said you want more depth and variety in the combat I could assure that would get expanded on in future games. But if you say you don't like jrpg style quests and hunting for parts to craft equipment I can say with certainty there will definitely be a lot of that in all the games.

Still, there are people who don't get XC1 but do like the later games. So that might be you.

Top Bottom