• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestling: Jim Cornette quits NWA Power over "offensive remark"

mcjmetroid

Effective immediately: Jim Cornette has resigned from the National Wrestling Alliance. As an announcer on the November 19th edition of NWA Power, Jim made remarks during a singles match between Nick Aldis and Trevor Murdoch that were both offensive and do not meet the high standards of decency and good faith of the National Wrestling Alliance.
To ensure that such an error can never happen again, we’ve established new procedures of review for all NWA programming going forward.
We sincerely regret our failure in this regard.

The line in question is in here.

The wrestling media are up in arms about this. What do you guys think?

Ulysses 31

tenor.png

cryptoadam

Banned
If your Chapelle or making jokes ok fine, but on a Wrestling show in 2019 its not going to fly.

I echo the statement though why is fried chicken a racist black thing, when pretty much everyone loves chicken. I mean the Popeyes chicken sandwhich is super popular and you can't tell me thats all black people. CFA has line ups out its door and again thats not just blacks. I think this notion of black people and chicken being racist is kinda stupid.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
The joke was he could strap 'food's onto his back in a starving country.

What he did wrong tho was use 'Fried Chicken' as the food.

When referencing any topic, country, etc.. about or occupied by black folks you cant use certain words, foods, phrases etc..

Fried Chicken, Watermelon, Grape Soda etc..
Using these items in a sentence involving black people is a death stroke.

Black fragility is a thing we need to accept.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad, his color commentary and euphemisms were very fitting for this NWA show. Though it's Cornette so I guess it was inevitable he'd find a way to get fired from a promotion, yet again.

Probably a big overreaction. The fried chicken thing doesn't really work as a negative stereotype (it's such a general southern stereotype, that trying to hold onto its previous minstrel show uses just makes things ridiculous. It also ends up with people acting awkward around black people and fried chicken, leading to outrage whether they try to hard to avoid it or just don't care and say it) and honestly, the stereotype doesn't make any sense if you look at statistics (and more so, black people in the US have long ago taken pride in fried chicken as something like black culture and built up the stereotype, so much that people are arguing about KFC, that it really shouldn't be very offensive unless it's trying to say specifically say something negative about black people in general).
Ethiopia is a country struggling with famines at times, so it's an apt comparison, although I don't think the chicken stereotype works well for a country/continent that consumes much less chicken per capita than most others despite being mostly populated by black people. I know, it's a joke, but I like ruining things. Perhaps a bad choice of words, could possibly need some clarification from the guy or if he felt like it an apology. So likely an overreaction, but companies do as they do.

Ul0fMG6.jpg

Honestly, Hong Kong are the poultry overlords. Though I imagine fried chicken likely is biggest in the US.

appaws

Banned
I'm Italian and I fucking love fried chicken and watermelon.

Ditto. People are ridiculous. Ethnic foodways are a thing. There is nothing offensive about mentioning them. If I wanted Catfish and greens and a sweet potato pie, I would look for a black owned business to get it. If I want Chorizo and eggs I go to a Mexican place. If I want bracciole I can make it myself.

When they tried to fire him he should have hit them over the head with his loaded tennis racket.

Last edited:

neobiz

When referencing any topic, country, etc.. about or occupied by black folks you cant use certain words, foods, phrases etc..

Drink. Grape drink you insensitive clod

V2Tommy

He’s a classic dude but he is no longer suitable for the public eye. If he keeps acting like an asshole and getting caught, next thing you know, he’ll be president.

I don’t think it has much to do about being fragile as much as it has to do with being disrespected. As a white man, I have no idea how many times in the life of a black man that they get stereotyped, but I’m sure it’s far more than I do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
I don’t think it has much to do about being fragile as much as it has to do with being disrespected. As a white man, I have no idea how many times in the life of a black man that they get stereotyped, but I’m sure it’s far more than I do.

Every race has stereotypes.

I dont turn into a little bitch everytime I have to hear I'm a little dick, unable to dance, non-seasoning, no culture etc. etc..

Everyone is untouchable at some level aside from whites.
And if we do say it bothers us then we are 'Fragile'

So maybe its everyone else turn to not be so fragile about a chicken comment or a pumpkin at Bath & Body works, or chick Cosplaying etc..

Fb21PxT.jpg

r88u5YQ.jpg

Every race has stereotypes.

I dont turn into a little bitch everytime I have to hear I'm a little dick, unable to dance, non-seasoning, no culture etc. etc..

Everyone is untouchable at some level aside from whites.
And if we do say it bothers us then we are 'Fragile'

So maybe its everyone else turn to not be so fragile about a chicken comment or a pumpkin at Bath & Body works, or chick Cosplaying etc..

Fb21PxT.jpg

r88u5YQ.jpg

I know what you’re saying. But not everyone is the same.

They probably didn't care. This is NWA not AEW or WWE.

Yup. 97 was such a good year for WWE.

lmao, I remember that. He would be crucified for it in the current climate. There was a bar we would go to where they would out RAW on all the tvs and the speakers, it was glorious.

DKehoe

I feel like I remember Lawler saying WAY worse stuff in the past.

There's a recording of him back in the mid-90s using racist language (repeatedly using the n-word to describe people) at a Smokey Mountain fan event that pops up every now and again. It came up again recently after Cornette decided to say AEW's ring announcer, Justin Roberts looks like a paedophile. Cornette has a great mind for the business but just seems to sabotage himself and burn bridges wherever he goes. Once the Roberts thing happened I knew there would be a group of people looking for any excuse to go after him and he served himself up to them better than they could have hoped for.

Pallas

Probably a big overreaction. The fried chicken thing doesn't really work as a negative stereotype (it's such a general southern stereotype, that trying to hold onto its previous minstrel show uses just makes things ridiculous. It also ends up with people acting awkward around black people and fried chicken, leading to outrage whether they try to hard to avoid it or just don't care and say it) and honestly, the stereotype doesn't make any sense if you look at statistics (and more so, black people in the US have long ago taken pride in fried chicken as something like black culture and built up the stereotype, so much that people are arguing about KFC, that it really shouldn't be very offensive unless it's trying to say specifically say something negative about black people in general).
Ethiopia is a country struggling with famines at times, so it's an apt comparison, although I don't think the chicken stereotype works well for a country/continent that consumes much less chicken per capita than most others despite being mostly populated by black people. I know, it's a joke, but I like ruining things. Perhaps a bad choice of words, could possibly need some clarification from the guy or if he felt like it an apology. So likely an overreaction, but companies do as they do.

Ul0fMG6.jpg

Honestly, Hong Kong are the poultry overlords. Though I imagine fried chicken likely is biggest in the US.
Huh surprised China isn’t on that list at all.

-Arcadia-

Banned
At least he went out with a great soundbyte. Cornette is too good for 2019.

The best point in the thread. His joke was hilarious. With jokes now being absolute proof of racial hatred and intent, there’s something wrong with the world, and not him.

Better to go out in a blaze of glory, than as a simpering coward under the thumb of bad hair dye and soy lattes.

ExpandKong

Banned
I'm not offended at all. I'm not sure how you got that impression.

Offended or not, I’m sure you mean well with your concern posting (because people like you always mean well) but here’s the problem I have with what you’re saying:

I have no idea how many times in the life of a black man that they get stereotyped, but

If you admittedly have no idea about something, why are you talking about it? Does the black community need you to pontificate about how much they probably get stereotyped maybe? Can they not do that for themselves? Don’t you think it might be a little insulting, bordering on infantilizing, to black people for As A White Man to be doing this kind of shit all the time?

Not saying you do this all the time yourself, just seeing your post got me on about something I’ve been thinking about for a while.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The history of black people and fried chicken being a racist stereotype:

"D.W. Griffith's seminal and supremely racist 1915 silent movie about the supposedly heroic founding of the Ku Klux Klan was a huge sensation when it debuted. One scene in the three-hor features a group of actors portraying shiftless black elected officials acting rowdy and crudely in a legislative hall. (The message to the audience: These are the dangers of letting blacks vote.) Some of the legislators are shown drinking. Others had their feet kicked up on their desks. And one of them was very ostentatiously eating fried chicken.

"That image really solidified the way white people thought of black people and fried chicken," Schmidt said.

Schmidt said that like watermelon, that other food that's been a mainstay in racist depictions of blacks, chicken was also a good vehicle for racism because of the way people eat it. (According to government stats, blacks are underrepresented among watermelon consumers.) "It's a food you eat with your hands, and therefore it's dirty," Schmidt said. "Table manners are a way of determining who is worthy of respect or not."

But why does this idea still hold traction, since fried chicken is clearly a staple of the American diet? Surely, KFC, Popeyes and Church's ain't national chains — and chicken and waffles aren't a brunch staple — because of the supposed culinary obsessions of black folks.

"It's still a way to express racial [contempt] without getting into serious trouble," Schmidt said. (Among the Code Switch team, we've started referring to these types of winking statements as "racist bank shots.")

"How it's possible to be both a taboo and a corporate mainstream thing just shows how complicated race in America is," Schmidt said"

Last edited:
Cuckaholic were so offended. It was a line that I didn't care about one way or the other. I don't like Jim Cornette personally, but he has been good on commentary for NWA.

brap

Banned
Cuckaholic were so offended. It was a line that I didn't care about one way or the other. I don't like Jim Cornette personally, but he has been good on commentary for NWA.
Cuckaholic said white people should be offended by Kerwin White. After that they completely lost me. All those wrestling youtubers are a bunch of pathetic little british soyboy worms.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Tangential but why is liking fried chicken a racial stereotype? Everybody fucking loves fried chicken.
It's a joke about starvation. It's obviously effective enough to get heel heat that they cut it. Cornette is just showing that he's a dinosaur by quitting when he's not allowed to reuse a line that's lived past its expiration date.

Last edited:
Top Bottom