• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestling: Jim Cornette quits NWA Power over "offensive remark"

Offended or not, I’m sure you mean well with your concern posting (because people like you always mean well) but here’s the problem I have with what you’re saying:

If you admittedly have no idea about something, why are you talking about it? Does the black community need you to pontificate about how much they probably get stereotyped maybe? Can they not do that for themselves? Don’t you think it might be a little insulting, bordering on infantilizing, to black people for As A White Man to be doing this kind of shit all the time?

Not saying you do this all the time yourself, just seeing your post got me on about something I’ve been thinking about for a while.
My response was more along the lines of trying to put yourself in other's shoes. I'm sure nobody needs me to be an advocate for them and by no means am I trying to be an SJW about it. I don't see how I would come off as insulting, but at the same time, I see your point. Being disrespectful is fairly common these days, especially on the internet, so I was just putting in my 2 cents in and calling it a day.

If I came off as insulting or making someone feel inferior that was not my intent. I was just applying my own perspective and thought that calling a race fragile because they may be upset about a stereotype is probably more insensitive and maybe considering that stereotypes can simply be disrespectful.

Last edited:

Silent Duck

Maybe, Jim himself loves fried chicken. Maybe that’s the first food that came into his head when thinking of tasty food.

Hell, there are a lot of people who love fried chicken soooo much, that they’ll stab someone to death over a fried chicken sandwich from Popeye’s. So why not say “fried chicken”? With it’s golden crispy breading... :messenger_savoring: succulent juicy meat on the bone... :messenger_savoring:

Great, now I want fried chicken. Let me get my weapons & armor, and head for the nearest Popeye’s.

Yv105ci.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I suspect Jim just thought "fuck it" I'm too old for this bullshit and gave NWA a convenient out. He has been baiting the outrage mob on Twitter too, so yeah he really should have seen this coming,

Still. he's got his collectibles business, his podcasts and can do as many personal appearances as he feels like... Oh and he's rich anyway, so I doubt he'll lose any sleep over this.

If your Chapelle or making jokes ok fine, but on a Wrestling show in 2019 its not going to fly.

I echo the statement though why is fried chicken a racist black thing, when pretty much everyone loves chicken. I mean the Popeyes chicken sandwhich is super popular and you can't tell me thats all black people. CFA has line ups out its door and again thats not just blacks. I think this notion of black people and chicken being racist is kinda stupid.

Not to mention chicken's way healthier for protein than, say, beef or red meat. Even a piece of KFC is gonna kill you a lot less than a medium-rare steak over time. And bananas? Those damn things give you anti-matter when you eat them. Literally could be a key to superpower ;)

The history of black people and fried chicken being a racist stereotype:

I get it, but at some point, you just gotta not care about what other people think. I like the food I like. If someone wants to try spinning that into a joke, fine, it's no skin off my back. A white guy I was friends with would actually bring it up sometimes when I ate fried chicken with him, and I just basically said whatever and kept eating. Then we'd just keep on talking about whatever we were talking about.

Basically, don't feed into the typical response and that whole issue'll usually wash away. The biggest reason most people try using it as a punching bag is because they expect a certain response. Don't give the response (better yet, just basically don't give a crap at all) and they'll drop it. Or if you flip it on them and turn it into a positive, shine them up with a little knowledge while being incredibly charming and a good spirit/funny.

Random strangers online doing it? Just play fire with fire. Outclass them, or ignore them and find better people to chill with. If I'm online it's to enjoy myself, not feel obligated to murk up my good time with other people's ignorance and buffoonery.

I'm not gonna let stereotypes run my life :S

Huh surprised China isn’t on that list at all.

Does dog count as poultry ;)?

...I'm joking, before someone inevitably gets offended.

Last edited:

shoplifter

What he said was never going to fly in [currentyear] but he sure as fuck shouldn't have been fired over it if management saw fit to not edit it out of the episode. He'd have said something else to get fired over in short order though, so ultimately it's not going to matter.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Who are we to question it if Stan Brooks identifies as black or has black ancestors?

I'm transracial... I identify as white and I better not be misracialized! The audacity of some to imply that I'm black! That security guard will lose his job once I complain to management! Now I must be off to my high powered job on the board of directors at (redacted)!

ExpandKong

Banned
.....really now? :pie_eyeroll:

Sometimes I wonder if white people are just purposely obtuse to any racial comment they see.

Do you know what tangential means? It means I’m not talking about this specific incident when I go on to ask the question I ask.

Sometimes I wonder if nonwhite people are just constantly looking for any excuse they can find to jump up whitey’s ass.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

oagboghi2

Do you know what tangential means? It means I’m not talking about this specific incident when I go on to ask the question I ask.

Sometimes I wonder if nonwhite people are just constantly looking for any excuse they can find to jump up whitey’s ass.

poor whitey can't make a joke about starving Ethiopians and fried chicken. Clearly you are oppressed.

The racial history behind "fried chicken" and other racial slurs regarding food are old as hell. it's difficult to believe you aren't playing dumb

brap

Banned

You know it's kinda hard to just stop acting offended and persecuted all of a sudden. Just look at gay people. They can do whatever they want including getting married but that's still not enough.

poor whitey can't make a joke about starving Ethiopians and fried chicken. Clearly you are oppressed.

The racial history behind "fried chicken" and other racial slurs regarding food are old as hell. it's difficult to believe you aren't playing dumb
Clearly you are oppressed because man made chicken joke. What a hard life you have.

ExpandKong

Banned

Again. Per the definition of “tangential,” I’m not talking about wrestling dude making a joke.

So because a white racist guy made a movie a hundred years ago, white people today can’t talk about fried chicken with black people? Am I getting this right?

At what point does everyone just move on? Fried chicken is loved by all. It should be bringing us together, not tearing us apart.

No fried chicken jokes, okay I promise.

Hey, has anyone here eaten Ethiopian food? Neither have they.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Fucking hell, Meltzer is such a spineless pussy.

"Times change" Dave, but not always for the better you putz! This over sensitivity to offence is not a positive development, admit it.

Not to mention how can you on one hand admit that what Jim said wasn't actually offensive, then say he should Kowtow to these same people with a pre-existing axe to grind against him?

Corny is going eviscerate him so bad for this. I can hardly wait.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
It's a bit ironic though. Jim Cornette always talks about people "exposing the business," and seems to want to go back to the good old days when everyone pretended wrestling was real.

Well, you won Jim. Everyone is pretending the stupid thing you said is real. How does it feel?

brap

Banned
It would be kind of pointless with all the shoots and podcasts Cornette has done over the years, plus he wouldn't pay anywhere near as much as KC or RF.
That's true but idk. Plus I don't think I've ever seen a shoot with him in HD before so that would be nice. I actually figured it was more of a personal thing.
THAT FUCKIN HANNIBAL WITH HIS FUCKIN OUTLAW MUDSHOW SHOOT INTERVIEW BULLSHIT

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The scary thing is the way people just accept this stupid, and frequently dishonest, hypersensitivity as the new normal. Its disastrous as its empowering terrible people who game the system for their own selfish interests.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused. Was it chickens or motor scooters that found the comment offensive?

Last edited by a moderator:

DKehoe

Are you one of those people who profess to despise him but listen to his podcast religiously? Because he isn't difficult to ignore.

That’s kinda where I fall on Cornette. I like him as a historian and he can have some great insight into why something worked or didn’t. But he’s leaning too much into the ranting about modern wrestling stuff. I’m not offended by whatever it is he says to work his gimmick. I can just not listen to his podcast. He’s no longer a particularly relevant figure in the industry.

Because his opinions and outlook is bigoted and trash
You just said that most of the industry ignores him, so surely that would make him irrelevant? I disagree, by the way, I'm sure his podcasts have hundreds of thousands of listeners. That, and companies are frequently trying to hire him.

DKehoe

Because his opinions and outlook is bigoted and trash

At this point is he actually having a negative impact on anyone? The Young Bucks and Kenny Omega are two of his biggest targets but they’re now running a major company and performing in front of a tv audience of nearly a million people each week. Cornette wheeling out his shtick about them doesn’t actually do anything.

There’s always going to be a group of people who want to complain about modern wrestling, people who want it to be like the stuff they grew up on. Cornette’s rants scratch that itch for them. It’s a niche that can’t or won’t move with the times.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Tangential but why is liking fried chicken a racial stereotype? Everybody fucking loves fried chicken.
I never understood this either, same thing with watermelon. It's like "you blacks sure do love good food hyuck hyuck hyuck"
Despite chicken being one of the most popular types of food eaten all over the world, even friend chicken. Racists and pop culture have made this a black thing.

Last edited:

darkestdame

Banned
You just said that most of the industry ignores him, so surely that would make him irrelevant? I disagree, by the way, I'm sure his podcasts have hundreds of thousands of listeners. That, and companies are frequently trying to hire him.
Most wrestlers do ignore him. That’s the industry. Of course he has fans who share the same shit mindset.

Top Bottom