• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo making Zelda mobile game, Animal Crossing mobile Fall, new Poke TCG app

You have a 3DS and a Switch but not a phone?

I assume you're posting on a computer then, at least you can download an Android emulator and play that way. But seriously, that's some strange financial prioritization.
No computer. I browse the internet on my iPad...1st generation. Haven't been able to get a new one or iPod Touch since. And obviously an iPad 1 can't do anything anymore outside of browsing light websites. The headphone jack doesn't even work anymore and the charging connector isn't far behind. >_<

I just find it insane that Nintendo is releasing games that you can't actually play on their systems. Sure, they should release these games on mobile, but the fact that you can't get them with the same pricing for each game atleast on Switch since it'd run them all is just cruel and unusual as a long time Nintendo fan that expects all their games to be playable on the systems they release.

I do expect some kinda "Super Mario Run for Switch" and for other games eventually, but at this rate it probably won't be anywhere near all of the games they actually release on mobile.

Its also hard for me to justify a new mobile device like a $200-$300 iPod Touch since within a couple years it'll stop being supported. Mobile games aren't built to last. I remember the horror stories of certian iOS updates breaking older games. I don't want to be a part of that kinda ecosystem. I would atleast try to save up for new mobile device for Nintendo and other games, but the way Apple and Google move on from older devices way too quickly completely puts me off.

ksamedi

Gacha isn't the way to easy money though as you need to consistantly have updates and and new content spanning its entire life.

Sure, but Fire Emblem making more money than Mario is a good indicator of how people perceive games on mobile phones. Its easier to make money from free to play games. Im hoping Nintendo can show some success for paid games so that more will follow.

oti

Banned
No computer. I browse the internet on my iPad...1st generation. Haven't been able to get a new one or iPod Touch since. And obviously an iPad 1 can't do anything anymore outside of browsing light websites. The headphone jack doesn't even work anymore and the charging connector isn't far behind. >_<

I just find it insane that Nintendo is releasing games that you can't actually play on their systems. Sure, they should release these games on mobile, but the fact that you can't get them with the same pricing for each game atleast on Switch since it'd run them all is just cruel and unusual as a long time Nintendo fan that expects all their games to be playable on the systems they release.

I do expect some kinda "Super Mario Run for Switch" and for other games eventually, but at this rate it probably won't be anywhere near all of the games they actually release on mobile.

Its also hard for me to justify a new mobile device like a $200-$300 iPod Touch since within a couple years it'll stop being supported. Mobile games aren't built to last. I remember the horror stories of certian iOS updates breaking older games. I don't want to be a part of that kinda ecosystem. I would atleast try to save up for new mobile device for Nintendo and other games, but the way Apple and Google move on from older devices way too quickly completely puts me off.

It's not like you're missing out on much unless you want to to have those games on your phone everywhere you are. They're convenient.

If you want a new tablet, there are some really good and cheap Android ones. I like my Kindle Hire HD 8 (it's on sale now). You could play every Nintendo game on that, with the exception of Pokémon GO of course.

JoeM86

I'm no fan of mobile gaming. I feel it's a diluted experience which is often just existing to grab money. However, I get why it's a thing and why companies are doing it and Nintendo are at least doing their best to provide full experiences on it.

I'm intrigued to how they're going to adapt Zelda to the mobile model. Lack of tactile control is really something that could work against it. I can picture it basically being puzzle shrines

duckroll

I'm intrigued to how they're going to adapt Zelda to the mobile model. Lack of tactile control is really something that could work against it. I can picture it basically being puzzle shrines

Lack of tactile control like the Zelda games on DS which sold so much more than the recent ones on 3DS?! :)

If I had to guess, the Zelda game would be based on something like Triforce Heroes, with a single player/microtransaction slant. Just a guess though.

Lack of tactile control like the Zelda games on DS which sold so much more than the recent ones on 3DS?! :)

Eh, I see what you're saying but the DS still had far more tactile controls than a mobile phone does. Definitely possible that it could be something more elaborate though, I agree.

Neiteio

Maybe the 3DS titles sold less because people felt burned by the terrible DS ones and didn't know they changed back to superior traditional controls where Link doesn't feel like he's being dragged by a magnet?

At any rate, I don't think most people here doubt there is great sales potential in the mobile space. But Nintendo has yet to release a mobile title that inspires confidence (for me, at least) that they can be fun.

Hopefully they figure out something that works in the mobile format for Zelda.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Sure, but Fire Emblem making more money than Mario is a good indicator of how people perceive games on mobile phones. Its easier to make money from free to play games. Im hoping Nintendo can show some success for paid games so that more will follow.
That "some success" was Mario Run though and the masses didn't bite on the most important Nintendo dude. If they try to price at $10 like you said, it's doa; I can see $5 as their last hurrah for paid since Zelda might bring in a different, focused audience, but at that point I worry about the amount of content.

oti

Banned
How does Oceanhorn play on a touchscreen? I never came around playing it.

I expect a different style though. And a premium app.

Whatever it is I'll probably like it more than BOTW lol

Hope they learned from Mario Run and make a better mobile experience... no dedicated internet required or silly purchase model, go full on Gacha

There's basically no chance of it being an offline game, given that Mario Run, FE heroes and Miitomo all have constant internet requirements.

Neiteio

I feel if anyone can figure out how to make a good, fun, and worthwhile mobile game, it's Nintendo. So let 'em keep trying, I say. Their mobile games have been pretty lame so far, but they're making money that will support the good games they make on their traditional systems, and these things probably don't take much manpower to make, so I don't see any loss where me and my tastes are concerned.

redcrayon

I'm no fan of mobile gaming. I feel it's a diluted experience which is often just existing to grab money. However, I get why it's a thing and why companies are doing it and Nintendo are at least doing their best to provide full experiences on it.

The dungeons of Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are longer and more complex than anything we're going to see in a mobile Zelda game and worked fine. It's not going to be a full 3D action game with Z-targeting etc. I agree that it could be an endless set of simple puzzle dungeons designed to be completed in a few minutes (much as FE Heroes pares FE's lengthy battles down to the basic essence of them at the loss of spectacle), but I can see the 'tap to go here, tap to pick up item, tap on enemy to attack it' controls of the DS titles working fine as long as the game is designed for it. The DS titles did so by having relatively slower enemies, relatively forgiving windows for attacks/actions and focusing more on puzzles than combat.

Yeah but they were godawful with control :p

There needs to be a happy medium
Nah, they worked surprisingly well. I spent a lot of time playing and critiquing them and they both have issues, but the controls aren't one of them, and few of the reviews thought so either. As long as the game is built around them rather than porting an action game and bolting on touch controls to something meant for a stick/road/buttons, touch can be intuitive. For a game built on a grid like a top-down Zelda or Fire Emblem, it works fine.

duckroll

At any rate, I don't think most people here doubt there is great sales potential in the mobile space. But Nintendo has yet to release a mobile title that inspires confidence (for me, at least) that they can be fun.

I think that's a little harsh, but I agree with the sentiment.

I finished all of the FE Heroes missions which came with the initial download. It was pretty mindless and bad. I pulled a gazillion times and got trash. Uninstalled.

I bought Super Mario Run and played through all of it. Did a ton of Toad Rally too. I think it was pretty run, but lacked content. It's not that it wasn't worth 10 bucks imo, but rather that it felt unfulfilling overall as a complete game. I would have paid more for more content, I would also have paid extra for additional content. The price wasn't the problem, it's just that there was no more and it didn't feel enough. I have since uninstalled it too.

So yeah, I think there's still a lot more work to be done to find the sweet spot for Nintendo.

Come on, you know what I mean. You don't typically read "get rekt" on GAF.

I'm allowed to have some fun when replying to stupid posts! :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Autumn for Animal Crossing? That's so far away!

I suppose on the bright side, if the rumours on there being connectivity between the smart device app and the potential Switch version are to be believed, we might be seeing the Switch version sooner than we think and the smart device version has been pushed this far back so they are launched closer together.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I wonder if the TCG app is going to be something new or it's just TCPi finally getting around officially supporting a mobile version of Pokemon TCG Online because I been able to run the tablet .apk of the game on my android phone for years now.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I would imagine every major Nintendo franchise will receive a mobile game at some point

IMHO, this is one of the reasons they force you to go to your iPhone or Android phone as much as they plan with the Switch... they have software there they want you to play and buy ;).

Anyways, some games like Animal Crossing make so much sense as mobile games it is really weird that they have waited this long to make one.

KHlover

Banned
Hope they learned from the Mario Disaster and make all of those games F2P with IAP. Having Zelda or Animal Crossing bomb due to dumb monetization would be a shame.

I'm also with what seems the majority of the mobile market, despite paying hundreds of bucks on video games each year I don't want to pay a single cent for smartphone games upfront (or, so far, ever). Didn't even download Mario Run to try the free levels.

I bought Super Mario Run and played through all of it. Did a ton of Toad Rally too. I think it was pretty run, but lacked content. It's not that it wasn't worth 10 bucks imo, but rather that it felt unfulfilling overall as a complete game. I would have paid more for more content, I would also have paid extra for additional content. The price wasn't the problem, it's just that there was no more and it didn't feel enough. I have since uninstalled it too.
I agree with this. I feel like SMR would be a really great little game if they kept updating it every 4-6 weeks with a new World for $0.99 or so.

bomma_man

Maybe the 3DS titles sold less because people felt burned by the terrible DS ones and didn't know they changed back to superior traditional controls where Link doesn't feel like he's being dragged by a magnet?

Using the boomerang, arrows and sand rod in ST/PH > using their equivelants in LTTP.

I'd almost go as far as saying combat in general is better in the touch screen games.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If they are lazy enough, they could just port Spirit Track or Phantom Hourglass

Nintendo are not going to offer "full" games on mobile. With the success of Switch it's crucial that they maintain a clear distinction between the type of software they offer.

It will be a game that offers a flavour of the Zelda experience on a very reduced scale.

Atheerios

I'm pretty sure TPC will release a full TCG game on mobile, complete with in-app purchases. They can make tons of money with that.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I agree with this. I feel like SMR would be a really great little game if they kept updating it every 4-6 weeks with a new World for $0.99 or so.

It could have been bigger and bolder, but I commend Nintendo for trying to increase the average perceived worth of content and not rely entirely on post sale content/IAP: I want as close to the full game as possible when I buy it and not every single mobile company planning to monetise me after they get the game in my hands... terribly restrictive in terms of game design.

ash_ag

Pokémon TCG Online always felt like a missed opportunity to me. If done right, it could be amazing.

Missed opportunity due to the lack of a smartphone version? Totally. But the game is absolutely ace. There's plenty room for improvement (in its non PvP sectors, of all things), but the base is wonderful. I've been playing on-and-off since the beta web version, and it's been a great way to experience the TCG.

Probably just the rumoured Japanese version of TCGO. Nothing to see here. Though having TCGO be altered so it can be played on phones instead of just tablets would be huge.

Oh, there's such rumour? A Japanese release coupled with a phone version would be amazing!

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Missed opportunity due to the lack of a smartphone version? Totally. But the game is absolutely ace. There's plenty room for improvement (in its non PvP sectors, of all things), but the base is wonderful. I've been playing on-and-off since the beta web version, and it's been a great way to experience the TCG.

Oh, there's such rumour? A Japanese release coupled with a phone version would be amazing!

Yes it would be and I still don't think we are getting micro transactions because&#8203; we haven't got any update on the "tested" gem system from Canada since 2015 IIRC.

JoeM86

TCGO has already been downloaded millions of times, and that's just on tablets. Not counting PC. Add smartphones into the mix and it'd do good numbers.

Having it so players get free booster packs in TCGO whenever they buy a booster pack IRL is a fantastic thing. It really gets people involved.

duckroll

It could have been bigger and bolder, but I commend Nintendo for trying to increase the average perceived worth of content and not rely entirely on post sale content/IAP: I want as close to the full game as possible when I buy it and not every single mobile company planning to monetise me after they get the game in my hands... terribly restrictive in terms of game design.

What exactly have they.... increased? I feel that if anything, they made it more problematic because the impression I got is that for 10 dollars this is all you can expect from Nintendo, and nothing more. Not even post-release support. That's kinda disappointing when we're talking about just 6 worlds of 4 short stages each. That's not increasing the average perceived worth of content, that's saying that they can't sell something for more than 10 dollars, and for 10 dollars don't expect much. People are not going to look at this as the content of SMR being what we deserve for 10 dollars, but rather that Nintendo is cheap and sucks at supporting their paid products on mobile.

On the other hand, if the base game is 10 bucks, and they continued to support it with content that increasingly trained people who enjoyed the game to understand how much they are expected to pay in exchange for quality ongoing support of content, that would be setting a value system that lasts.

JoeM86

Again similar to Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links. Anime characters, with voice acting, events from the anime, an even more simplified version of the game. I know TCG is a separate thing from the anime.

I think that would confuse more than it'd do good. There's a Pokémon TCG, it's still insanely popular. Working to that is a lot better than working to other things.

All it needs is a better story for the single player and we're set

jdstorm

Banned
How does Oceanhorn play on a touchscreen? I never came around playing it.

I expect a different style though. And a premium app.

Its pretty good. Mostly just a standard floaty stick and then floaty buttons on the right.

Generally Action games arent much fun, but oceanhorns pace is slow enough that its not a huge deal. Still play it with tactile controls if you can. The last boss battle is a little rough with touch screen controls.

Forkball

The new Pokemon TCG app has me the most excited. The Pokemon TCG is a legit good game, but the current app is really a hunk of junk and does not suit the modern digital CCG market at all. It has a lot of good ideas and features though that I hope they implement in the new version.

JoeM86

The new Pokemon TCG app has me the most excited. The Pokemon TCG is a legit good game, but the current app is really a hunk of junk and does not suit the modern digital CCG market at all. It has a lot of good ideas and features though that I hope they implement in the new version.
Out of curiosity what would you change? It's the Pokémon TCG and it does that perfectly so I'm unsure what they could do other than a better single player

Top Bottom