• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ:Russian Hackers Stole NSA Data on U.S. Cyber Defense

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-hackers-stole-nsa-data-on-u-s-cyber-defense-1507222108

WASHINGTON—Hackers working for the Russian government stole details of how the U.S. penetrates foreign computer networks and defends against cyberattacks after a National Security Agency contractor removed the highly classified material and put it on his home computer, according to multiple people with knowledge of the matter.

The hackers appear to have targeted the contractor after identifying the files through the contractor's use of a popular antivirus software made by Russia-based Kaspersky Lab, these people said.

The theft, which hasn't been disclosed, is considered by experts to be one of the most significant security breaches in recent years. It offers a rare glimpse into how the intelligence community thinks Russian intelligence exploits a widely available commercial software product to spy on the U.S.

The incident occurred in 2015 but wasn't discovered until spring of last year, said the people familiar with the matter.

The breach is the first known incident in which Kaspersky software is believed to have been exploited by Russian hackers to conduct espionage against the U.S. government. The company, which sells its antivirus products in the U.S., had revenue of more than half a billion dollars in Western Europe and the Americas in 2016, according to International Data Corp. By Kaspersky's own account it has more than 400 million users world-wide.

The revelation comes as concern over Russian infiltration of American computer networks and social media platforms is growing amid a U.S. special counsel's investigation into whether Donald Trump's presidential campaign sought or received assistance from the Russian government. Mr. Trump denies any impropriety and has called the matter a ”witch hunt."

Intelligence officials have concluded that a campaign authorized by the highest levels of the Russian government hacked into state election-board systems and the email networks of political organizations to damage the candidacy of Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

The name of the NSA contractor in the Kaspersky-related incident and the company he worked for aren't publicly known. People familiar with the matter said he is thought to have purposely taken home numerous documents and other materials from NSA headquarters, possibly to continue working beyond his normal office hours.

The man isn't believed to have wittingly worked for a foreign government, but knew that removing classified information without authorization is a violation of NSA policies and potentially a criminal act, said people with knowledge of the breach.

It is unclear whether he has been dismissed from his job or faces charges. The incident remains under federal investigation, said people familiar with the matter.

Kaspersky software once was authorized for use by nearly two dozen U.S. government agencies, including the Army, Navy and Air Force, and the departments of Defense, State, Homeland Security, Energy, Veterans Affairs, Justice and
Treasury.

https://twitter.com/e_kaspersky/status/915946040561487875

New conspiracy theory, anon sources media story coming. Note we make no apologies for being aggressive in the battle against cyberthreats

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So did Kaspersky knowingly give access to their database or got hacked themselves. This is that kind of "anonymous" data you are sending to companies.

And I expect legislation against Kaspersky Lab's now. Or rather foreign owned anti-virus.

http://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...sts-a-suspicious-eye-on-russias-kaspersky-lab

I'm not so sure we'd even need legislation at this point. It's a matter of national security. If we didn't have a Putin bootlicker in office, an Executive Order would probably be in place already.

Unbelievable how badly we've been played by the Russians. This is worse than all five seasons of FX's The Americans.

mnannola

US citizens should be demanding massive changes before the 2018 election to protect against Russian cyber warfare attacks.

Well if we didn't have a stooge as President and in the better part of the Senate...

Most of this hacking happened under Obama who was hesitant on doing anything because of wanting the appearance of remaining impartial to the election.

US citizens should be demanding massive changes before the 2018 election to protect against Russian cyber warfare attacks.

Half the voters don't believe Russia did anything.

Hari Seldon

The good news about these revelations is hopefully the feds will be more concerned with data security and less concerned about weakening encryption to data mine every American.

cameron

The breach, considered the most serious in years, could enable Russia to evade NSA surveillance and more easily infiltrate U.S. networks
The stolen material included details about how the NSA penetrates foreign computer networks, the computer code it uses for such spying and how it defends networks inside the U.S., these people said.

Having such information could give the Russian government information on how to protect its own networks, making it more difficult for the NSA to conduct its work. It also could give the Russians methods to infiltrate the networks of the U.S. and other nations, these people said.
Considering the severity of the breach, perhaps the U.S. Secretary of State will make an unscheduled statement / briefing about it soon.

In a statement, Kaspersky Lab said it “has not been provided any information or evidence substantiating this alleged incident, and as a result, we must assume that this is another example of a false accusation.”

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov in a statement didn’t address whether the Russian government stole materials from the NSA using Kaspersky software. But he criticized the U.S. government’s decision to ban the software from use by U.S. agencies as “undermining the competitive positions of Russian companies on the world arena.”
Aw, that sucks.

Savitar

Stuff like this is why I'm wary to keep using Kaspersky Total Security, but I still got over 600 days left.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The good news about these revelations is hopefully the feds will be more concerned with data security and less concerned about weakening encryption to data mine every American.
This has little to do with data security. Short of monitoring every employees every move on a computer you can't stop someone from taking files home. Like literally every security training I've ever been a part of from HIPAA to government security says DO NOT TAKE files home.

Hmmm

NYTimes said:
The F.B.I. secretly arrested a former National Security Agency contractor in August and, according to law enforcement officials, is investigating whether he stole and disclosed highly classified computer code developed by the agency to hack into the networks of foreign governments.
The contractor was identified as Harold T. Martin III of Glen Burnie, Md., according to a criminal complaint filed in late August and unsealed Wednesday. Mr. Martin, who at the time of his arrest was working as a contractor for the Defense Department after leaving the N.S.A., was charged with theft of government property and the unauthorized removal or retention of classified documents.
According to court documents, the F.B.I. discovered thousands of pages of documents and dozens of computers or other electronic devices at his home and in his car, a large amount of it classified. The digital media contained “many terabytes of information,” according to the documents. They also discovered classified documents that had been posted online, including computer code, officials said. Some of the documents were produced in 2014.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/06/us/nsa-leak-booz-allen-hamilton.html?_r=0

Hari Seldon

This has little to do with data security. Short of monitoring every employees every move on a computer you can't stop someone from taking files home. Like literally every security training I've ever been a part of from HIPAA to government security says DO NOT TAKE files home.

Yeah that part was definitely a problem, but general security of US Consumer devices should be the NSA's concern, not hacking into them or hording zero day exploits.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Many terabytes didn't shock me as much until I looked up the actual amount

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

That's a whole lot of trips with an microSD card hidden in a rubix cube

/s

Like seriously did he just bring in an external hdd to work, use it, and no one noticed or cared for years at the freakin NSA of all places?

Somnid

Fuck the NSA. The fact anyone thought stockpiling tools and exploits for private use was a good idea was proof they didn't know shit about digital security and that was their one job.

Dr.Acula

Banned
It's always contractors. Bu-bu-but if we hired people to work for the government it would cost 100k plus benefits, that's taxpayer money! Why not simply pay a company millions of dollars to have them do billions of dollars in damage? Come on!

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/technology/kaspersky-lab-israel-russia-hacking.html?

It was a case of spies watching spies watching spies: Israeli intelligence officers looked on in real time as Russian government hackers searched computers around the world for the code names of American intelligence programs.

What gave the Russian hacking, detected more than two years ago, such global reach was its improvised search tool — antivirus software made by a Russian company, Kaspersky Lab, that is used by 400 million people worldwide, including by officials at some two dozen American government agencies.

The Israeli officials who had hacked into Kaspersky’s own network alerted the United States to the broad Russian intrusion, which has not been previously reported, leading to a decision just last month to order Kaspersky software removed from government computers.

The Russian operation, described by multiple people who have been briefed on the matter, is known to have stolen classified documents from a National Security Agency employee who had improperly stored them on his home computer, on which Kaspersky’s antivirus software was installed. What additional American secrets the Russian hackers may have gleaned from multiple agencies, by turning the Kaspersky software into a sort of Google search for sensitive information, is not yet publicly known.

Turns out Israel hacked Kaspersky and watched Russia use it as a search engine to find classified info(that the guy shouldn't have had on his home computer).

WedgeX

Banned
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/technology/kaspersky-lab-israel-russia-hacking.html?

Turns out Israel hacked Kaspersky and watched Russia use it as a search engine to find classified info(that the guy shouldn't have had on his home computer).

Its been really interesting to watch this play out.

From another thread...

Kaspersky is the best at what they do, just because they originate from Russia does not change that fact and/or make them less trustworthy. From a governmental perspective it makes sense not to use Kaspersky, but from a civilian point of view it makes no sense and would just be paranoia.

lol.

Also, from long ago this dude was a fortune teller:

Why would you use Russian antivirus in the first place? It's like inviting Putin or some otherwise shady operator on your hard drive. There's some weird, weird stuff in Kasperky's past antics, too.

C4Lukins

What if they just stole the stuff we wanted them to steal, and when they press the button we take all of their shit. I should totally have been CIA, or a sleeper agent for the Russians in the CIA, but really working for Iceland. Do you really believe they qualified for the World Cup without me? I should not be posting this in public.. Bad move as a super spy, but they do not see Neogaf. They see a version of it that has been run through my underground Icealandic computer. Little do they know, I actually work for Tonga and nobody will ever see this. Checkmate world. Actually galaxy because I am working for another planet, that is the central government of the entire universe. And to be truthful, I work for the state of Delaware. This course of action was required to get a two lane highway connecting with another state so my mom can visit me on holidays and remove 15 minutes from the trip. Luckily nobody will ever read this post because of my amazing ability with computers and the Internet, and what we call the Spacenet, which is relayed through various black holes and sleeper agents who relay and dicode my messages. Unfortunately we do not have spell check. But the beam coming from our home planet should blind all of you to that.

Blizzard

Banned
Its been really interesting to watch this play out.

From another thread...

lol.
Wow, that thread is something else. A reply to the very post you quoted:
Yeah you can cut that veiled xenophobia shit out.
It was such a light comment to be labeled xenophobic too, and now we've had the Trump election with Russian financial links, targeted Facebook ads etc. and the Kaspersky story here, things feel a bit different in hindsight. Or see also from the same thread:

ITT: People being racist fucks about Russia.

Thank you guys :\ It appears that you're as easily manipulated by media as average Russian citizen. Seeing all those sentiments by what appears to be a rather progressive community is sad.

Tagyhag

It was such a light comment to be labeled xenophobic too, and now we've had the Trump election with Russian financial links, targeted Facebook ads etc. and the Kaspersky story here, things feel a bit different in hindsight. Or see also from the same thread:

Lol someone page chiimisu. See what he thinks about all this

"They were forced to!"

That’s bump worthy

Those old threads are just painful to read. Can't trust anonymous sources! America's done bad stuff too! Etc.

Was there some cult of personality thing going on with this Kapersky guy? It's just bizarre to see this devotion towards an anti virus programmer.

Top Bottom