• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF happen to Climax's next-gen game Avalon?

tegdf

Climax Group announced today that it is already working hard on its next-generation game, a multi-vehicle shooter named Avalon.

Set in the near future, Avalon is a fast-paced, action-charged game that challenges players to battle for world domination. Avalon is a compelling mixture of intense shooting and high-speed driving action, taking advantage of the next-generation consoles' advanced multiplayer capabilities that will allow gamers to come together online for spectacular showdowns.
"Climax's ability to self-fund the prototype has produced huge strides in development which has allowed Avalon to be fully playable before the game is even presented to publishers", states Tony Beckwith, president, Climax.
Avalon is being developed using Climax's next-gen toolset named, 'Tomcat'. Built from a stable platform that has been proven in several prior titles, Climax has invested heavily in proprietary next-generation tools to produce content quickly and with excellent quality.

this is from Nov.2, 2004 WTF happened to it? did it get cancelled or not get picked up by a publisher?
http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/avalon/562837p1.html

Yamaha98

Well, hopefully they will put more development into it than their last title (MotoGP). That game has alot of flaws.... :(

I am guessing the technology sucked and no publisher bothered picking it up. This happens a lot... some no name guys get their tech/game previewed in mag in order to create hype but don't get publisher support.

tegdf

Doom_Bringer said:
I am guessing the technology sucked and no publisher bothered picking it up. This happens a lot... some no name guys get their tech/game previewed in mag in order to create hype but don't get publisher support.

but this is by Climax

tegdf said:
but this is by Climax

yawn it was a car combat game for crying out loud!! Even Sony ditched Twisted Metal...

Climax was working on a next gen engine which looked pretty sweet a couple of years ago and i guess it was used in the latest moto gp game.

Ravidrath

No publisher interest.

Believe it or not, Climax was probably ahead of its time in developing and pitching a nextgen game two years ago - no publishers were really thinking about nextgen then, something they're paying for now.

However, that said, if the game was any good it probably could've overcome the industry's short-sighted planning ability. The videos I saw two years ago looked like nextgen realistic military Pikmin, although not very good, and I'd heard it didn't play well, either. After dumping $2.8 million into it, they shelved it and began working on other things.

I believe the tech is being used in their one nextgen project, though, or at least was the jumping-off point for what they are currently using.

Avalon was built using the Tomcat engine, BTW. I don't know specific details, but I don't think any of that was folded into Moto GP 2006. That game was built from their Blimey libraries, which was also the basis for previous Moto GP games and ATV Offroad Fury 3/Blazing Trails PSP, etc., and I believe the Blimey and Tomcat codebases weren't overly compatible.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
temjin said:
We need BlueStinger 2 before anything else.

Wrong climax

buckfutter said:
I'm way more interested in finding out what the hell happened to the Landstalker remake for the PSP.

Wrong climax again.....we are talking about the UK firm, not the Japanese one...

Top Bottom