• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

numble

So it won't broadcast live. Good. Then I don't have to worry about taking off work that day.

Hopefully it'll be slow enough that I can check on the liveblogs as it happens, or just wait until it's over to get all the information at once. Then again hopefully it's busy so the day goes by fast.
I believe we didn't know about the October livestream until the morning of the event.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Replying here to avoid bumping the old WWDC thread.

Sony just launched new VAIO MBA competitors and they're about 0.4-0.6 lbs lighter than the MBA versions, so there definitely is still a lot of room for weight reduction on the MBA end. I don't know if they needed to sacrifice anything to get to those lower weights, though.
Haha, you confused me for a second. I knew I hadn't posted in this thread yet but was surprised to see myself quoted.

And yeah, improvement is welcome. The lighter the better. I love the lightness of my Air. Especially when I compare it to my old MBP.

I believe we didn't know about the October livestream until the morning of the event.
I wish they'd just go back to being predictable with that. They used to livestream it all the time, then they stopped, then they started doing it again when they perfected the technology, but now they stopped again. Makes no sense really.

numble

Haha, you confused me for a second. I knew I hadn't posted in this thread yet but was surprised to see myself quoted.

And yeah, improvement is welcome. The lighter the better. I love the lightness of my Air. Especially when I compare it to my old MBP.

I wish they'd just go back to being predictable with that. They used to livestream it all the time, then they stopped, then they started doing it again when they perfected the technology, but now they stopped again. Makes no sense really.

Well there's been no event since October, so they haven't really stopped, unless they don't stream it this time. They went so far to have an Apple TV app icon pop up on the day of the event for people to stream from their TVs, so they might do it again.

I bought a rMBP 15" in mid-May, and after speaking with an Apple Store employee, I would be able to exchange the notebook I have for the new one. I have Windows 8 on this, so it would be a hassle to reinstall the OS, Visual Studio and Office. So I have two questions:

1. I have an external hard drive with Time Machine set up on it. How easy would it be for me to use that with the new notebook, and have everything as it was on this notebook by just "recovering" from the Time Machine? Could something like this be done with Windows 8?

2. Is it worth upgrading to the new MacBook Pro Retina (according to the rumours)? Is 802.11ac and Haswell worth the hassle of reinstalling all of Windows?

Chris R

So the MBA might launch at WWDC with the MBPs being delayed a bit according to various rumor sites. I really hope that isn't the case, no way I buy a MBA until the MBPs are released so I can compare and contrast the various models and price points.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I bought a rMBP 15" in mid-May, and after speaking with an Apple Store employee, I would be able to exchange the notebook I have for the new one. I have Windows 8 on this, so it would be a hassle to reinstall the OS, Visual Studio and Office. So I have two questions:

1. I have an external hard drive with Time Machine set up on it. How easy would it be for me to use that with the new notebook, and have everything as it was on this notebook by just "recovering" from the Time Machine? Could something like this be done with Windows 8?

2. Is it worth upgrading to the new MacBook Pro Retina (according to the rumours)? Is 802.11ac and Haswell worth the hassle of reinstalling all of Windows?
1. You can Migrate from a Time Machine backup when you boot up the new machine for the first time. (Or any time after, but it's best to do it before you've set up your user right out of the box.) I haven't done this method myself, instead I always migrate from a clone. But a TM backup should work the same way. It'll only migrate what you actually backup though so make sure everything you want to keep is migrated.

2. I'll wait for Anandtech's reviews (And others) of the new models where they compare the new machine to various past machines.

So the MBA might launch at WWDC with the MBPs being delayed a bit according to various rumor sites. I really hope that isn't the case, no way I buy a MBA until the MBPs are released so I can compare and contrast the various models and price points.
Ditto.

numble

I think Haswell should be worth it for the battery improvements (which would probably also lead to temperature improvements).

1. You can Migrate from a Time Machine backup when you boot up the new machine for the first time. (Or any time after, but it's best to do it before you've set up your user right out of the box.) I haven't done this method myself, instead I always migrate from a clone. But a TM backup should work the same way. It'll only migrate what you actually backup though so make sure everything you want to keep is migrated.
Time Machine doesn't touch your Boot Camp partition, I think. I remember if you ever formatted or got a new computer, you had to redo Windows from scratch. It may be different now.

I guess the only option is to back up Windows and then restore in Windows just like you would restore OSX from Time Machine.

Time Machine doesn't touch your Boot Camp partition, I think. I remember if you ever formatted or got a new computer, you had to redo Windows from scratch. It may be different now.

I guess the only option is to back up Windows and then restore in Windows just like you would restore OSX from Time Machine.

How would you do this?

giga

Non-story. Developers already submit square app icons for iTunes artwork. Apple applies a mask over them to make it rounded. More than likely the mask on the website was broken.

mzl.aaridoob.175x175-75.jpg

mask175.png

so it's unlikely we'll see the new iPhone here, huh? my 3GS is crying and wants to be replaced with the new hotness. oh well, I've waited this long, no harm in a few more months.

Non-story. Developers already submit square app icons for iTunes artwork. Apple applies a mask over them to make it rounded. More than likely the mask on the website was broken.

I agree.

Here is a comparison between iOS 6 app icons and renders made from the alleged "leaked pic" of iOS 7:

--WARNING--The following link contains potential iOS 7 spoilers. If you don't want to potentially be spoiled, don't click on it:

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

How would you do this?
Does Windows have a real Time Machine style backup system? I believe it does, but not the same exact thing. But I use Windows for Steam and games only and would only need to reinstall Steam and have it redownload my games.

I was told by a mod that they aren't. If they end up needing to, this topic will be moved to the gaming side.
Would that do anything? The forum isn't separate servers for each forum section. The load would be the same whether it's in OT or Gaming, wouldn't it?

numble

Would that do anything? The forum isn't separate servers for each forum section. The load would be the same whether it's in OT or Gaming, wouldn't it?
They've done it before. They can shut it down because there is a sizable population of users viewing/posting in the OT that would put more strain versus only allowing people to look at the E3 threads.

But the servers will be dead anyway. It's a once in a decade or so E3 combined with WWDC.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They've done it before. They can shut it down because there is a sizable population of users viewing/posting in the OT that would put more strain versus only allowing people to look at the E3 threads.

But the servers will be dead anyway. It's a once in a decade or so E3 combined with WWDC.
Oh that's right. It's E3. Nevermind. It makes sense. The OT will be closed for E3 so move the WWDC thread there so it can still be unlocked.

Nevermind. I forgot both were happening at the same time.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
GOD WHY DID I CLICK THAT SPOILER, NOW I KNOW THERE'LL BE A
CAMERA
!

Seriously though all those icons look pretty much identical to iOS 6.

Oh christ, anyone who's worried about getting "spoiled" for a conference is (a) a ridiculous child and (b) shouldn't be reading this thread before the conference anyway.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Oh christ, anyone who's worried about getting "spoiled" for a conference is (a) a ridiculous child and (b) shouldn't be reading this thread before the conference anyway.
BUT IT RUINS MY TECH INDUSTRY WRESTLING

(worrying about getting spoiled for anything is dumb, too)

btrboyev

Newest rumors are the iPad 5 is getting announced next week. A case manufacture has already released it's iPad 5 case.

Newest rumors are the iPad 5 is getting announced next week. A case manufacture has already released it's iPad 5 case.

A case manufacture has released some cases, but there are no rumors of iPad 5, no new iOS hardware next week.

Back before the 4S came out, case makers where making cases for the curvy iPhone 5 that never materialized.

I thought he was mocking the spoiler phobes. Anyway this shit better be more than a skin pack on some icons and apps.

I know it will be but still. At this point it's all I can gather.

Burai

shitonmychest57

Try Winclone. You'll need a separate partition/drive from your Time Machine volume:

http://twocanoes.com/winclone/

Apple bug report hints developers may receive near-final build of OS X 10.9 at WWDC

The possibility that OS X 10.9 may have already achieved build "451" as of May 8 — more than a month before the operating system's anticipated unveiling at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference — could forecast a range of possibilities:

-The purported build number could indicate that the software is nearing a final release, even before it has been unveiled to third-party developers.

-It would reveal that Apple has been at work — and compiling more builds — with OS X 10.9 than Mac OS X 10.8.

-It could mean that one of the most critical components of OS X is seeing a major overhauled in 10.9, which would presumably explain the need to run through more builds than usual ahead of its announcement.

Top Bottom