• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE announcer John Bradshaw Layfield met with bullying accusations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hazing is just part of the business. It is what it is and PC culture won't permeate or ruin professional wrestling until it hurts Vince's bottom line. JBL and I bet many other boys in the lockeroom love to rib on folks. I listen to Austin's podcast and all the pranks and jokes they would pull on each other is just crazy. It's part of the business and if you as an employee can't deal with it then get the F out.
You get the fuck out with this shit.

Fuck that shit. It is 2017. That carny shit needs to fucking go by the wayside. That might have been acceptable back in the days, but some people just want to have fun doing a job they love and not be constantly harassed in the name of a good prank. Shit like that is why WWE will never be as mainstream as Vince and his cronies want it to be. Until that place actually cares about its people these kinds of stories will always come out, tarnishing whatever inroads they make with the populace at large.

The wwe is an incredibly insulated company who marches to the beat of their own drum more often than not. Like with most things that people want changed with the wwe, they will change when people stop watching, not because you hold up a smarky sign at an event that you still paid money to attend.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Hazing is just part of the business. It is what it is and PC culture won't permeate or ruin professional wrestling until it hurts Vince's bottom line. JBL and I bet many other boys in the lockeroom love to rib on folks. I listen to Austin's podcast and all the pranks and jokes they would pull on each other is just crazy. It's part of the business and if you as an employee can't deal with it then get the F out.

giphy.gif

Savitar

WWE is the only wrestling company you hear about this shit happening at and it's due to the mentality that Vince like to foster. It's as bullshit as your post.

That bit about Trips pulling Justin's pants down was funny as shit. To be fair that rib they pulled in the UK was a bit too far. I grew up in a household where everyone played jokes on each other. There wasn't a "give up button or complain to mom" it was you got hit with a joke so you hit right back harder. I can promise that they were no participation trophies or awards in my household.

Some folks know how to dish a rib and take one, some just don't. And that's ok.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That bit about Trips pulling Justin's pants down was funny as shit. To be fair that rib they pulled in the UK was a bit too far. I grew up in a household where everyone played jokes on each other. There wasn't a "give up button or complain to mom" it was you got hit with a joke so you hit right back harder. I can promise that they were no participation trophies or awards in my household.

So because nothing bad happened to you personally its ok for everyone else. Got it. Also this isn't some ribbing, people are quitting their jobs over this shit.

Who let Russo get a GAF account?

Bro your scary "PC culture" already permeates wrestling and for the better

Look at how they treat their women as actual athletes now

Look at how a guy like Dalton Castle in ROH can have that gimmick and be a kick ass baby face

Look at how they got rid of the ridiculous and unnecessary chairshots to the head

Look at how they are trying to keep their guys off drugs so they live past fucking 40

Look at how despite literally having a family member on the White House Team there's no references to Trump.

The rest of your post is macho nonsense.

Dazzler

an all-time shitpost on neogaf.com

Dave Meltzer's work on this has been first class.

JBL is a gutless coward who can act as he does because he is essentially a proxy for Vince McMahon.

Dude shut the fuck up. Bullying someone with mental issues to the point that they leave their job is not a "rib".

Dealing with your nonsense shit posting on the gaming side was exhausting enough. Don't bring that garbage over here too.

RBH

They should have put him over again Goldberg in 98. The fans would have been hot as fuck for it.
The original plan was actually for DDP to beat Goldberg at Halloween Havoc 1998.

But they held off on that because around that same time, Goldberg was featured on the front cover of Entertainment Weekly, so they thought it wouldn't be a good look if Goldberg lost the title shortly thereafter.

Some people are also BIPOLAR dude

Bulling is as much a part of the culture of wrestling as popping PED's like tick tacs and snorting coke to stay awake while you try drive across state for the next show. Thinking you are tougher then the others because you go out and take 10 stiff chairshots to the head or randomly legit beating the shit out of your trainee while training to "toughen him up"

Things have mostly moved past this shit. Its not 1998 anymore.

Wagram

Fuck this mindset and anyone that supports it.

Dude shut the fuck up. Bullying someone with mental issues to the point that they leave their job is not a "rib".

Ninja, relax bro and watch your posts directed at me. I didn't mean to get you so riled up. All I'm saying is that this has been the culture in pro wrestling for years now. It is what it is.

Just stop while you're at it.

What if JBL drove Mauro to suicide? Would it still be a good old rib?

Ninja, relax bro and watch your posts directed at me. I didn't mean to get you so riled up. All I'm saying is that this has been the culture in pro wrestling for years now. It is what it is.

So you condone the bullying and belittling of people with mental illnesses?

I'm with Ninja on this one.

LionPride

Banned

How are you able to make two of the dumbest posts I have ever seen on this website in such a short time span? Hazing is not just part of the business, it's a symptom of a bigger issue with that carny son of a gun in Vince who doesn't understand how terrible hazing can be and the effect it can have. Going beyond simple hazing to straight bullying to weed people out is a problem. Stealing a man's passport and not giving it back isn't a rib. It's a terrible dick move. Threatning to beat up two 19 year olds if they don't become alcohol mules across the border isn't a rib. Pulling pants down is a rib sure, but being an abrasive, asshole to talent, isn't a rib.

Bullying a man with actual mental health issues isn't a rib. Bullying women who have actual eating disorders isn't a rib. But it's just part of the culture. Get out with that bullshit. It's victim blaming on your part and you need to do better.

No, you aren't just saying "this had been the culture" and "it is what it is". What you are doing is excusing it, and blaming the victims of the bullying for not being able to handle it, and telling them to "get the F out". There is a difference, and that difference places you firmly on the "piece of shit" side of the issue.

Also :lol @ "watch your posts directed at me". What the fuck you gonna do?

I dispute the bolded section above.

Nothing about Hazing deserves to be called a 'part of the business.' It doesn't make Strowman bigger, it doesn't give Neville the magic to do the red arrow, it doesn't empower Lesnar to do 10+ suplexes, it isn't how the Revival figure out clever ways to infuse tag matches with excitement and emotion.

All it accomplishes is make douchebags feel superior to others, and that's something that anyone who has mentally matured past 16 should be able to leave behind.

kirblar

HHH pantsing Justin Roberts is a prank.

JBL ordering people to steal Justin Roberts' passport is bullying.

Having a culture of people dunking on each other is fine. JBL was taking advantage of that to be an asshole.

Maddocks

I'm sure a good number still love to rib and pull off jokes, but what JBL is doing is not ribbing, its just being mean spirited. A good rib would be stealing a wrestlers outfit so they have to wear something else for a house show, not something like,"lets steal this guys car and then crash it and have him deal with that."

If they fired JBL or replaced him on smackdown it would be for the best, because his commentary is terrible.

RedAssedApe

Banned

A lot of the stuff that has been mentioned in this thread goes beyond friendly "ribbing". Its also done from a position of power instead of between peers so your thing about getting back at the other person doesn't make any sense when someone won't retaliate because they are in fear because of some pecking order in the company.

LionPride

Banned
I'm sure a good number still love to rib and pull off jokes, but what JBL is doing is not ribbing, its just being mean spirited. A good rib would be stealing a wrestlers outfit so they have to wear something else for a house show, not something like,"lets steal this guys car and then crash it and have him deal with that."

If they fired JBL or replaced him on smackdown it would be for the best, because his commentary is terrible.
Exactly, some shit is a rib or prank, but any of what JBL has done? Nah

Another way "PC culture" has invaded wrestling

Alexa Bliss can speak in her day to day life openly about her fight against anorexia, about how it almost killed her, about how she wants to be an example of someone who made it, so that others can make it through too. She can do all this and the WWE touts her as the hero she is for it, they put her story on their youtube channel for all to see as a means of inspiration... in 1998 or even much later they'd have made it into an angle and properly caused her to go through it all again and maybe die this time. In 1998 or later they'd have done this via a babyface getting cheered for making fun of Bliss history of dealing with an eating disorder... making fun of that would have been the good guy thing to do.

Everyone gets bullied. Shoot, I was bullied all thru junior high. It was what it was, sometimes it got me down, sometimes I punched back, literally. Ppl are too soft today, you can't say anything, you have to walk around eggshells. Ppl will go after you for any comment. Some things warrant a serious, and stern reaction. Others not so much, but folks will still jump down your throat for it.

I'm not blaming or excusing any actions that should be called out especially bullying, but back in my day kids were a bit tougher and a bully was usually met with a punch and he didn't bully you anymore and moved on to the next pushover. Not everyone will be a winner, we will have some losers. That's just how it is.

Goose "IT'S JUST A PRANK BRO" Seven

Lol deadass bro

Stealing a passport and legitimately beating someone up on live TV.

JUST A PRANK BRO!!!

Everyone gets bullied. Shoot, I was bullied all thru junior high. It was what it was, sometimes it got me down, sometimes I punched back, literally. Ppl are too soft today, you can't say anything, you have to walk around eggshells. Ppl will go after you for any comment. Some things warrant a serious, and stern reaction. Others not so much, but folks will still jump down your throat for it.

I'm not blaming or excusing any actions that should be called out especially bullying, but back in my day kids were a bit tougher and a bully was usually met with a punch and he didn't bully you anymore and moved on to the next pushover. Not everyone will be a winner, we will have some losers. That's just how it is.
You say you're not blaming or excusing actions, despite your previous posts (and this one!) doing just that.

You're a goddamned clown.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Lol deadass bro

you really comparing high school with working adults? da fuq...go "rib" your co-workers constantly and we'll see how quick your ass gets fired.

Dude just give it a rest already. Your post are incomprehensibly stupid.

Maybe do some introspection, figure out why you keep saying stupid bullshit, instead of just gracing us with your latest hot take and digging your self deeper into the stupidity hole.

I don't even know why you pull the "back in my day" shit like JBL and Mauro are 14 year olds. They and everyone else involved in this story are probably older than you. You sound dumb as fuck forreal.

This is a terrible post.

Lol deadass bro

People are not weaker... they are stronger because they aren't just taking it or resorting to ridiculous violence (btw I fought back... it didn't save me) they are standing up and saying the way it is is not the way it's going to be in the future... That's not softness, that's not weakness that's destroying the status quo...

rrc1594

Russo is that you bro!

Dante

Lol deadass bro

Ugh your coming across pretty terrible. Time to move on.

I actually cancelled my subscription in support of Mauro prob not going To make much of a difference, but I wasn't watching NXT as frequently and Netflix has a bunch of shows I wanna check out so I used that extra money to sign up.

Lol deadass bro

You are such a disrespectful, self righteous human being, I can't believe you're conceited enough to believe the shit you're saying.

XenoRaven

I know they teach at my workplace to immediately resort to physical violence when there is some sort of personal issue with another employee. It's what professionals do.

Foggy

Lol deadass bro

You need different role models

This is a publicly traded company. Anyone here think this would be ok at their place at work?

Hint: Answer is NO

You mean you've never had someone at work come up to you and rub your ass in the bathroom? Or steal your passport while on a business trip? Even if you did, all you have to do is punch them. ADULTS!

You mean you've never had someone at work come up to you and rub your ass in the bathroom? Or steal your passport while on a business trip? Even if you did, all you have to do is punch them. ADULTS!
I don't know about you, but I have Steve Blackman with me at all times as a bully deterrent.

Sephzilla

Lol deadass bro

> Doesn't want to excuse bullying
> Excuses it

I'm not blaming or excusing any actions that should be called out especially bullying, but back in my day kids were a bit tougher and a bully was usually met with a punch and he didn't bully you anymore and moved on to the next pushover. Not everyone will be a winner, we will have some losers. That's just how it is

Are you trying to roleplay as JBL because this is the same dumb shit he would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom