• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-COM: Enemy Unknown Game Informer Mag Details [Up8: Sid Meier Talks XCOM]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Does it matter? If you can see the Chryssalid, you are already a Chryssalid. If you CAN'T see the Chryssalid... it's right behind you. Don't look! RUN!

Seriously, though. I like what I'm seeing. I love that the Geoscape is an actual room in the base, it's a nice touch. I really want to see this game in action now. The aforementioned Chryssalids would make an excellent example to demonstrate the difficulty of the game in a video. Apart from the Sectoid, I'd say good old smiling death on legs is who we want to see.

Also, the base is multilevel? Oh boy, going to love defending THAT mess. Please give me automated defenses and cameras in the base. That and does it look like the tactical view is hex based to anyone else? Look at the edge of that cyan line, it has a lot of 60 degree bends, doesn't it?

Cause they need to keep the creepy smile!

Xater

So I just made this. What we can probably learn from the combat screen:

1VaTK.jpg

Now tha ti think about it what i marked as cover could also be armor. I assumed it's cover because of the indicator by the XCOM member behind the tree.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Were there dumbass comments about graphics looking dated in Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 preview threads, too?

I don't think anyone wants to relive the Diablo 3 art style threads.

But as others have said, I think the graphics are fine for the type of game this is. I just hope they nail the gameplay of the original.

McNum

Cause they need to keep the creepy smile!
Fair enough. They do need to keep that slasher smile. The happiest little aliens in the world. They only want hugs! (And to implant their young inside you, so you can die in a gory explosion when the new Chryssalid appears.) Wonderful foes, those. I mean... KILL IT! KILL IT WITH PLASMA!

By the way, are the aliens the ones wearing suits in the screenshot? That's kind of funny. The XCOM troops are wearing armor, and the suit guys are red on the radar. Also, UI upgrade: Radar!

schragnasher

Neo Member
That and does it look like the tactical view is hex based to anyone else? Look at the edge of that cyan line, it has a lot of 60 degree bends, doesn't it?

Hex vs Grid is a never ending battle...and Firaxis has made their stand on on the hexes side, even in civ. Personally i think hexes makes for more realistic placement and movement.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fair enough. They do need to keep that slasher smile. The happiest little aliens in the world. They only want hugs! (And to implant their young inside you, so you can die in a gory explosion when the new Chryssalid appears.) Wonderful foes, those. I mean... KILL IT! KILL IT WITH PLASMA!

By the way, are the aliens the ones wearing suits in the screenshot? That's kind of funny. The XCOM troops are wearing armor, and the suit guys are red on the radar. Also, UI upgrade: Radar!

The smile is a plate that hides the tongue that implants the eggs.

Zaptruder

Banned
I was going to be all: "Oh snap, they actually made that shitty FPS X-Com game look decent."

But no, game was all "Oh snap, that shitty FPS X-Com game was so shit, that they have a competing actual X-Com game coming out."

Xater

Yep, there is a radar but because of the symbols next to it and them mentioning the fog of war, I am sure you can only see enemies on the radar that you have line of sight with. It just makes orientation easier in a 3D game.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
The last screenshot made me incredibly excited, despite the graphics being average. TB gaming has so much unexploited potential. Just updating UIs alone will push the genre forward.

Well, okay then. I'll pick it up whatever - I paid for CivRev on console, and I damn well got my money's worth. And I'll buy this. I actually hoped it was a dl title for sales' sake, and I suspect it'd do a hell of a lot better at that price point than it will as a full boxed product. Oh well.
I'd actually lean towards the game doing better at full price. Die hard X-COM/turn-based strategy/old-school PC fans will definitely buy this game at full price, assuming it turns out reasonably well. Why charge less than they'd pay for? Other customers will have to be won over, but I doubt a low price alone would do that.

Camera is off in every screenshot, but I'll still play it. I hope that's the camera zoomed in on the tactical shot. It needs to be zoomed out more.

It has been mentioned already, but holy cow the stone and bark textures are bad. You don't just make a boulder then slap a texture with dark shadows all over it.

theRizzle

Mmmm, dat BASE.

To me, this already looks great. Say what you want about UE3, hexes or the interface, but I already very excited to play this. Its very rare that I buy a game on launch these days, but I will definitely be getting this on day 1.

Looks fantastic :D I just hope the "streamlining" that they are doing doesn't change the feel of the combat too much. The original X-COM definitely could use some UI improvements, but the game mechanics themselves were pretty sound.

robin2

http://i.imgur.com/1VaTK.jpg[IMG]

Now tha ti think about it what i marked as cover could also be armor. I assumed it's cover because of the indicator by the XCOM member behind the tree.[/QUOTE]

Adding another comment

[URL=http://www.imagebanana.com/][IMG]http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/dbhzpvp8/1VaTK.jpg[/URL]

McNum

Hex vs Grid is a never ending battle...and Firaxis has made their stand on on the hexes side, even in civ. Personally i think hexes makes for more realistic placement and movement.
Personally, I prefer hexes if the game has a lot of outdoor areas and grid if it's indoors with a lot of right angles. They each have their merits.
The smile is a plate that hides the tongue that implants the eggs.
Even if I never actually completed X-Com, those things do leave a lasting impression. Just when you get used to the plasma fire coming from out of nowhere when you disembark the Skyranger, you suddenly get these super fast horror monsters that kill with a touch and turn their victims into more of them. In a map full of defenseless civilians. Each scream in the night means one more Chryssalid to fight... They are coming.

Then you get flying armor and you taunt them from the air. Ha ha, stupid melee only critter! Then the Etherals show up... Ha ha, stupid Psi weak X-Com agents! I never made it past the Etherals...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
a new tbs game? count me in. i know nothing about the original xcom but i loves me some tbs. last great one i played was shadow wars for the 3ds. i've been looking forward to another one ever since. count me in.

Well, you'll be happy to know that the original X-Com was designed by Julian Gollop, who also worked on Shadow Wars.

Go back and play X-Com.

1VaTK.jpg

Now tha ti think about it what i marked as cover could also be armor. I assumed it's cover because of the indicator by the XCOM member behind the tree.

What you marked as health makes a lot more sense for me as being action points. How many action points someone has should be more important to know than health. Maybe the blocks indicate a more easy to digest action point system, like 1 block equals one move or action. The most forward soldier still standing while having all the blocks greyed out might be significant.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Were there dumbass comments about graphics looking dated in Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 preview threads, too?

Any game that has an isometric perspective.

Maybe they should have made Diablo 3 in first person.

Danneee

Destructible environments?
I think it was a pretty big gameplay element in the originals, hope they keep it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Destructible environments?
I think it was a pretty big gameplay element in the originals, hope they keep it.

I think they pretty much said that destructible environs was a big part of X-com in the past, and it's going to be in this one.

Any game that has an isometric perspective.

Maybe they should have made Diablo 3 in first person.

"Should X-Com have been in a first person perspective?"

Xater

What you marked as health makes a lot more sense for me as being action points. How many action points someone has should be more important to know than health. Maybe the blocks indicate a more easy to digest action point system, like 1 block equals one move or action. The most forward soldier still standing while having all the blocks greyed out might be significant.

Hmm maybe. Then I guess the health indicator would be the shield? But then again you don't see the shield at all the XCOm members...

Well i guess that part of the UI is debatable. It does look good though and we will probably know soon enough what everything means.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Doesn't really make sense being able to see your enemies AP though. I'm thinking he's right about the health thing.

Hmm maybe. Then I guess the health indicator would be the shield? But then again you don't see the shield at all the XCOm members...

Well i guess that part of the UI is debatable. It does look good though and we will probably know soon enough what everything means.

I don't think that enemy health should be there at all really as that is information you shouldn't know but who knows.

For the icons I guess that the > indicators are movements left and blocks are actions left. The white line on the bar is pretty subtle and could just be a highlight effect to show selection.

Doesn't really make sense being able to see your enemies AP though. I'm thinking he's right about the health thing.

For any other game maybe but for xcom keeping track of how much opportunity fire they have is much more important information.

gabbo

Game Informer said:
Is this going to be dumbed down for the "wider console audience"?
Firaxis is undeniably streamlining aspects of the game and removing no small amount of micromanagement, but from what I've seen I wouldn't call it "dumbing down" the game so much as getting rid of tedium and uninteresting mechanics. Soldiers still die permanently, fog of war and line of sight are hugely important in combat, and you absolutely can lose the game if you screw up too badly.
This is a worrying comment, as it doesn't hint at whats been removed or why.
I can see reworking certain aspects to fit with a newer interface, but to not even mention it beyond 'yeah they're stripping things out' is going to cause anger.

I'll wait until I see it in motion, but so far it doesn't look bad to me.

Jarate

Banned
The only thing X-Com needed was a proper tutorial

most of my friends got absolutely shrekt in the first mission cause they have no clue what to do, and then never picked the game up again

also, if this has online multiplayer, that would be badass as hell.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants

I can't tell if its hexagons or octagons. Look at the shape to the right of the tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom