• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Men Cartoon Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmdorsey

They show back-to-back episodes every night on one of the Disney Channels at 10:30-11:30 PM EST. I loved these back when they first aired in 2000 and I'm getting a chance to see episodes I didn't get a chance to see back then.

They just finished up showing the Beyond Good and Evil series with Acoplyse(sp?) and now they are showing a series having to do with the Phalax(sp?) My question is has anybody ever watched these and if so how true to the comics do they stay? They seem to be follow pretty close to them from the posts I've read here, but I haven't read the comics so I can't say for sure.

What are the X-Men heads of GA feelings on the quality of this cartoon show? It was thanks to this cartoon that I knew what it meant at the end of X2 when the fire appeared in the lake.

3phemeral

These aren't the original ones that came out in the early 90's? Damn, I watched that show religiously. I was so disappointed when they started showing reruns only a few weeks after its introduction.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So then this is about X-Men Evolution? It doesn't stay true to the comic series at all; characters' alignments are changed, costumes and ages are different, etc. It's closer to the movies if anything else, but even then still has its big differences.

But I watched it when it used to be on Cartoon Network and found it an enjoyable way of reintroducing the X-Men in animated form. You can't expect these shows to try and take decades of continuity and crossover events with other comics/characters not licensed by the animation studio and make a faithful adoption, so starting from scratch like Evolution does is clearly the way to go.

The older X-Men cartoon from the early 90s never sat as well with me. I liked it when it started, but the fanboy within hated how Jubilee replaced Kitty Pryde in the storylines, how key X-Men characters of the time were left out of the roster, and how whenever they'd introduce characters, they kept the same cosutme design. So when Cable was introduced, he had nothing to do with the X-Men whatsoever (no New Mutants/X-Force in the cartoon!), but still had the "X" logo all over his uniform. Ugh. :)

X-Men Evolution reminded me a lot of the New Mutants. The brotherhood and the X-Men in Evolution have a New Mutants/Hellions relationship.

I would like to buy the series on DVD since I don't get the Disney Channel.

tmdorsey

Lyte Edge said:
So then this is about X-Men Evolution? It doesn't stay true to the comic series at all; characters' alignments are changed, costumes and ages are different, etc. It's closer to the movies if anything else, but even then still has its big differences.

But I watched it when it used to be on Cartoon Network and found it an enjoyable way of reintroducing the X-Men in animated form. You can't expect these shows to try and take decades of continuity and crossover events with other comics/characters not licensed by the animation studio and make a faithful adoption, so starting from scratch like Evolution does is clearly the way to go.

The older X-Men cartoon from the early 90s never sat as well with me. I liked it when it started, but the fanboy within hated how Jubilee replaced Kitty Pryde in the storylines, how key X-Men characters of the time were left out of the roster, and how whenever they'd introduce characters, they kept the same cosutme design. So when Cable was introduced, he had nothing to do with the X-Men whatsoever (no New Mutants/X-Force in the cartoon!), but still had the "X" logo all over his uniform. Ugh. :)

No this isn't Evolution. I believe it's the one you are talking about from the early 90s.

tmdorsey

BigJonsson said:
Morph always got owned :/

Yep.

I still want to see a moving picture version of when Magneto owns Wolverine by striping the adamentium(sp?) off his bones through his pores.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I have fond memories of it from my youth, but watching it with adult eyes reveals lots of flaws and horrible animation.

demi

Used to watch this on FOX Network (saturdays, used to be weekdays) when I was a wee lad!

Loved the Phoenix Saga.

They did the Phalanx crap and Wolverine getting his adamantium ripped out by Magneto in the X:Men:TAS show? Dang, I don't remember that stuff happening, though I did miss the last couple seasons.

OmniGamer

Quadrophenic said:
They did the Phalanx crap and Wolverine getting his adamantium ripped out by Magneto in the X:Men:TAS show? Dang, I don't remember that stuff happening, though I did miss the last couple seasons.

Phalanx yes, adamantium rip, no.

TAS is a lot of mixed emotions for me....I am glad though that i was NOT introduced to the X-men via TAS, though I did get to see many storylines there before reading them.

Some pluses
+Voice acting(esp. Rogue, Storm(esp. original recordings...redubs toned her down too much), Magneto, Dark Phoenix, Apocalypse(classic rambling diatribes), Beast, etc)
+Theme song
+Cast
+Decent comic2cartoon translation of famous classic X-sagas

Some minuses
-MAJOR RAPE DONE TO JEAN GREY
-Cameos never join...main cast never changed...other characters were just one-episode wonders
-Turned to shit after Season 3(Phoenix/Dark Phoenix sagas)
-Story consultant: Bob Harris...'nuff said

With that said, I think overall Evolution was better. No it wasn't the comics put into cartoon form....we had that already. It was based in its own world and had a lot of freedom. Characters actually improved in ability(especially Jean!) over time, the cast was huge and actually grew over time(what's this? New main characters? New villains? New secondary characters? Certain characters change aliances?), etc. A new season felt like a new season, like a new year, like progress has been made. I wish it could have made it to a 5th season...it definitely had a sweet finale though.

MrparisSM

Banned
If it's the Xmen from Fox in the early Ninties, it's one of the best cartoons ever IMO. Every Saturday morning I was up just in time to watch it. I used to love it so much, if my mom wanted to get me to do something, she'd just threaten to not let me watch it that morning. It's amazing how something as small as that can be the biggest thing to a 10 year old. :lol

Does anyone know of a torrent where I can download the entire seasons?? That would be awesome. :)

luxsol

OmniGamer said:
With that said, I think overall Evolution was better. No it wasn't the comics put into cartoon form....we had that already. It was based in its own world and had a lot of freedom. Characters actually improved in ability(especially Jean!) over time, the cast was huge and actually grew over time(what's this? New main characters? New villains? New secondary characters? Certain characters change aliances?), etc. A new season felt like a new season, like a new year, like progress has been made. I wish it could have made it to a 5th season...it definitely had a sweet finale though.
It's pretty shitty that they only showed the last season once! After that, no reruns. Not even on Cartoon Network. =(

I hope they release both X-Men series in DVD colllections.

firex

the odd thing is, marvel did this x-men manga thing years ago (when manga wasn't insanely popular, but was getting there) and it looks like that's exactly the storylines used in the original animated series. each issue was the same story (and in the same order) as the cartoon so marvel either royally fucked with the manga when they brought it over, to make it work just like the animated series, or the animated series copied the manga entirely.

luxsol

The manga was a copy of the cartoon. I think it was used to create interest in the cartoon when it was released in Japan.

Oh, and the US version was X Men Adventures, and seemed to add some "deleted" scenes from the cartoon.

Saturnman

Banned
OmniGamer said:
Phalanx yes, adamantium rip, no.

TAS is a lot of mixed emotions for me....I am glad though that i was NOT introduced to the X-men via TAS, though I did get to see many storylines there before reading them.

Some pluses
+Voice acting(esp. Rogue, Storm(esp. original recordings...redubs toned her down too much), Magneto, Dark Phoenix, Apocalypse(classic rambling diatribes), Beast, etc)
+Theme song
+Cast
+Decent comic2cartoon translation of famous classic X-sagas

Some minuses
-Cameos never join...main cast never changed...other characters were just one-episode wonders
-Turned to shit after Season 3(Phoenix/Dark Phoenix sagas)
-Story consultant: Bob Harris...'nuff said

Rape done to Jean Grey? I must have missed that. :p

I liked the series, but the animation wasn't very good. This is one thing that is definitely an improvement in Xmen Evolution.

Rorschach

The X-Men cartoon from the 90s is on ABC Family along with Spider-Man, Gargoyles, Spider-Man Unlimited, Big Guy and Rusty, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, Medabots, and The Incredible Hulk. They used to have Ironman and FF :(

OmniGamer

Saturnman said:
Rape done to Jean Grey? I must have missed that. :p

I liked the series, but the animation wasn't very good. This is one thing that is definitely an improvement in Xmen Evolution.

Character rape that is ;-)....though if you listen to that fainting voice sample they loop over and over every 5 mins in the show(UGHNNN!), it sure sounds like rape. Oh, and not to mention she's the only main character whose main design was tampered with. WHY THE FUCK DID THEY GIVE HER A PONYTAIL??? Could it have ANYTHING to do with the fact that they depowered her to ridiculous levels, and made her attached-at-the-hip with Cyclops? The writers should be shot....they made her into a novice rescue-fodder type when we already had that IN THE FORM OF JUBILEE. Oh, and fun-fact, Jean's telekinetic field have NEVER broken or shattered in the comic books.

Dujour

Banned
I was lucky enough to find torrents of the whole series last month. Never saw the last episode until recently and yeah, it rocks hardcore.

I remember when this, along with Batman: The Animated Series were the two top cartoons of their day. I remember getting into debates about which one was the better show. I recall when I was younger, I much perfered X-Men.

Of course, as I got older, I learned to recognize the Batman 'toon as being much more than a simple animated crime drama.

That being said, its really hard to go back and watch that old X-Men show. Whereas, Batman: TAS simply gets better as you get older.
batman.jpg

Actually, I don't know if anybody remembers it, but I thought the X-Men pilot, Pryde of the X-Men was much more well-done. I wish they'd have made a full-blown TV show out of this!
team1.jpg

tmdorsey

I don't know why people keep saying that the X-men-TAS is hard to look at now because people have gotten older. I'm 28 and I'm enjoying them, especially the episodes I never got a chance to see. The bad animation is not that big of a deal to me, but then again I use to watching South Park. :lol

It's not really the animation(Although, Batman does blow it out of the water in that department). X-Men still looks better than 99% of the cartoons on TV today(Which is mainly just anime crap), but the plotlines seemed a little rushed and convoluded. Also, I dislike the roster of the team. Jean seems useless and underused. I don't think Beast did a hell of a whole lot either.

They shoulda had these 3 in place of Beast, Gambit, and Rogue:

psylocke.jpg
nightcrawler.jpg
Iceman.gif

tmdorsey

SonicMegaDrive said:
It's not really the animation(Although, Batman does blow it out of the water in that department). X-Men still looks better than 99% of the cartoons on TV today(Which is mainly just anime crap), but the plotlines seemed a little rushed and convoluded. Also, I dislike the roster of the team. Jean seems useless and underused. I don't think Beast did a hell of a whole lot either.

They shoulda had these 3 in place of Beast, Gambit, and Rogue:

psylocke.jpg
nightcrawler.jpg
Iceman.gif

I agree that Beast and Jubilee maybe could have been replaced, but Rogue kicks ass. I like her. Also Beast had a pretty decent role in the past Phalanx series they just showed.

Links to the torrent for this show are a-ok with me, BTW.

OmniGamer

Pryde of the X-Men was terrible IMO(DLed it from Kazaa a while back)...ESPECIALLY the voice acting. Wolverine with an Australian accent? WTF? What, just because the team used in that cartoon was based on the Australian outback era means he has an aussie accent?

SonicMegaDrive...notice how those 3 made cameo appearances, yet as mentioned before, they never joined, not even for one damn arc. Always some lame excuse(especially in Colossus' case in both of his appearances).

Actually, I think Wolverine had an Australian accent because that's what he had on Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. Obviously, when that show was made, nobody knew Wolverine was really from Canada. So, they thought "Hm. Let's see. He's feral. Likes the outdoors. Yeah, he's Australian, why not?"

And I think I take that back about Rogue...I remember a lot of the early episodes revolved around her...and I recall they were quite good(I recall one that involved Pyro and Avalanche. I think she was trying to become 'normal'? It was a great episode).

Speaking of Colossus, I'm still bummed they killed him off for good, though I hardly follow comics anymore.

In one epsiode of Spiderman & His Amazing Friends with the X-Men, I think Wolverine had a French accent.

Speaking of Colossus, I'm still bummed they killed him off for good, though I hardly follow comics anymore.

He's back.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Most people are probably more familar with Pryde Of The X-Men than they may think....the Konami X-Men arcade 6-player Beat-em-up game from 1992 was based on it. :)

jarrod

Banned
OmniGamer said:
Could it have ANYTHING to do with the fact that they depowered her to ridiculous levels, and made her attached-at-the-hip with Cyclops?
To be fair, that pretty much describes Jean in the comics post Claremont & pre Morrison too.

OmniGamer said:
What, just because the team used in that cartoon was based on the Australian outback era means he has an aussie accent?
Uh no... it's based off the pre Dark Phoenix Saga team (with Dazzler replacing Phoenix).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom