• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 dashboard update preview invites going out NOW. Who got in?

Just to make things clear for everybody, make sure no one delete your game save, its the biggest file that you will have to delete, to all the noobs out there:D

elektrixx

Banned
sweetvar26 said:
Just to make things clear for everybody, make sure no one delete your game save, its the biggest file that you will have to delete, to all the noobs out there:D
Don't warn anyone. I want to see a "F*CK MICROSOFT" thread.

sinnergy

Voltron64 said:
I really hate this. What's the point? You have to use the disc anyway. My spare 360's dvd drive is going bad and I want to use it with my 120 GB drive with the games pre-installed.

My installed games...

Call of Duty 4 6.5 GB before 6.7 GB 7.1

Call of Duty WAW 6.4 GB before 6.5 GB

Gears of War 2 6.3 GB before 6.7 GB 6.8

Halo 3 5.7 GB before 6.3 GB

Battlefield: Bad Company 4.9 GB before 6.5 GB

Street Fighter IV 4.6 GB before 5.0GB 5.7

Left 4 Dead 3.7 GB before 5.0 GB

I bolded my previous installs, how do you explain that? Those are my old install sizes.. wtf
I am reinstalling my games now.

sinnergy

sinnergy said:
I bolded my previous installs, how do you explain that? Those are my old install sizes.. wtf
I am reinstalling my games now.

NVM got it, also deleted my maps etc..

Saves are on my memcard.

Foxix Von

So I had around 18.7 gigs left I think (forgot to write it down) but heres a list of before and then after of all the games I had on my HDD. Yeah this took forever and while I was doing it my birthday actually occurred (19 yaaayyy mee! 2 hours in and I feel wiser already!)

Blaz Blue 4.3 to 3.0
Fable II 6.8 to 6.6
Fallout 3 5.9 to 5.5
Gears of War 6.5 to 6.3
Left 4 Dead 5.0 to 3.7
Lost Odyssey Disc 3 6.3 to 5.8
Mass Effect 6.8 to 6.8
Mirror's Edge 5.7 to 5.5
Red Faction Guerrilla 6.5 to 6.4
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection 3.4 to 698(megs)
Street Fighter IV 5.7 to 4.6
Half Life 2 Orange Box 4.7 to 3.9

I now have something like 27.5 gigs left, gained just under 10 gigs :D

VQ

Foxix said:
So I had around 18.7 gigs left I think (forgot to write it down) but heres a list of before and then after of all the games I had on my HDD. Yeah this took forever and while I was doing it my birthday actually occurred (19 yaaayyy mee! 2 hours in and I feel wiser already!)

Blaz Blue 4.3 to 3.0
Fable II 6.8 to 6.6
Fallout 3 5.9 to 5.5
Gears of War 6.5 to 6.3
Left 4 Dead 5.0 to 3.7
Lost Odyssey Disc 3 6.3 to 5.8
Mass Effect 6.8 to 6.8
Mirror's Edge 5.7 to 5.5
Red Faction Guerrilla 6.5 to 6.4
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection 3.4 to 698(megs)
Street Fighter IV 5.7 to 4.6
Half Life 2 Orange Box 4.7 to 3.9

I now have something like 27.5 gigs left, gained just under 10 gigs :D

VQ

happy birthday

elektrixx

Banned
I've been trying to think of why these file sizes are randomly smaller.

Is it possible for FMV's to not be copied? Maybe it's better this way for video to load from disc and still have background loading coming from the HDD.

Or maybe they've been going through these games one by one figuring out exactly what they need from the disc in preparation to release them on Games On Demand.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
elektrixxx said:
I've been trying to think of why these file sizes are randomly smaller.

Is it possible for FMV's to not be copied? Maybe it's better this way for video to load from disc and still have background loading coming from the HDD.

Or maybe they've been going through these games one by one figuring out exactly what they need from the disc in preparation to release them on Games On Demand.
I think they are simply using a very simple compression on the files. Something with very low CPU usage. Or maybe they use a different scheme to create the images of the original DVD where there is no padding data anymore on the sectors, and games using many small files instead of one big ass one would benefit highly.

Meus Renaissance said:
I don't know if this has been confirmed, but will the new update do anything about the speed of the dashboard?
Yes. Most people already said that's the best part of the update.

Anyone else really disappointed the Avatar store is that fucking expensive? I would've bought tons of stuff if it was cheaper.

elektrixxx said:

That would make the most sense as an explanation, will have to compare the sizes once the service goes live. Currently installing all my stuff again after some of the posts you guys have made.

I noticed people in here making comments on install sizes dropping in the preview and couldn't help but notice Halo 3 on some people's lists.

Is it okay to install Halo 3? I thought it did more harm than good when compared with running the game off the disc?

Foxix Von

Cold-Steel said:
I noticed people in here making comments on install sizes dropping in the preview and couldn't help but notice Halo 3 on some people's lists.

Is it okay to install Halo 3? I thought it did more harm than good when compared with running the game off the disc?

No harm really it's just that loading times from the HDD in that scenario takes somewhere between "for fucking ever" and "waiting through purgatory is faster than this"

I suppose if you're disc drive is on the way out and it's the only way to play it then you gotta do whatcha gotta do.

VQ

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Cold-Steel said:

I remember seeing a bungie warning in game specifically saying 'dont do that'

big_z

Cold-Steel said:

you can install it but it will increase load times a bit from what i've heard. personally i havent tried to install it but i might. seems like there are times where loading takes forever off the disc...

MCD said:
For quick deleting those installs, go to the HDD section and press X (deletion suggestion), should list bigger files first.
Or just go to My Xbox -> Y for Game Details -> Erase From Hard Drive -> Install to Hard Drive

MMaRsu

Banned
Holy shit! GTA San Andreas is only 2.87GB from Games on Demand! What was the earlier size? I thought it was above 4GB at least!

Splinter Cell is down as well! :O

Gantz

Banned
Anyone know why they removed the on-screen video controls for Netflix? Before you were able to change the viewing ratio for instant watch movies. Now I can't even bring it up.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I assume someone else has already noticed this.. but you can now eject the disc drive from the dashboard even when a disc is in there.

Which is the greatest feature ever for someone like me who's eject button has problems.

Fox Mulder

sweetvar26 said:

I accidentally did that with my CoD World at War save awhile back. I was more than halfway through the campaign on Veteran. Never making that mistake again.

DeepFriedMuppet

Neo Member
Meus Renaissance said:
I don't know if this has been confirmed, but will the new update do anything about the speed of the dashboard?

Seems to for me. I've found moving through menus is noticeably quicker.

The main complaint I had with the old dash was how long it took to get a download link for something from the store and that's now almost non-existent for me.

MrTroubleMaker said:
I'm going to re-install some games now, I need more space :lol

Any one else notice that you can do the clear cached by pressing Y on the drive instead of the old code we had to do, nice little addition to the update :)

I'm not sure exactly what's behind it, as I've never understood the reasoning here, but you can now eject the drive tray by pressing x on the game/drive panel of my xbox.

Willeth

user_nat said:
I assume someone else has already noticed this.. but you can now eject the disc drive from the dashboard even when a disc is in there.

Which is the greatest feature ever for someone like me who's eject button has problems.
Hah, I came in here just to post this. No idea why it wasn't in there from launch. The PS3 only got it a few updates ago as well I think. Lazy people unite!

Top Bottom