• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Dashboard Update Video: DVD Vs HDD Loading Time

FrankT

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
That is very impressive. Almost makes the ass pounding from buying the 120 gig HDD worth it.

Recoil

On a hacked/pirated alpha version of the dash, huh? I'm sure that will TOTALLY be representative of the final copy.

Philthy

madmook said:
No more drive noise YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Seriously.

This makes my purchase of a Jasper Arcade plus 120GB all the more iiiiiiiingeeeenius.

The new arcade is very quiet. Not to mention I just totally got LTTP on Mass Effect. Bought it on the 26th of December last year and only just started playing it last week.

DoomGyver

Please let this come out before gears 2.

and turkish, are you sure you have a jasper? I didn't think they were out in the wild yet.

I will probably do one game at a time because I only have 9 gigs left on my 20 gig launch hard drive, but hopefully Microsoft puts out a Xbox 360 slim or something within the year and I could just pick that up.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loading Halo3 also, I hope it can fix a DRE I get on the covenant.

Darkman M

Nuclear Muffin said:
Still seems very slow, shouldn't a HDD install make a bigger difference than this?

GTA IV loading on a whole is just super slow i own the PS3 version of the game and installed it.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
cjelly said:
You won't get any improvement in matchmaking, though, because you'll still have to wait for everyone else to load.

Actually, it'll improve load times when trying to load a specific campaign mission, a specific map in customs, and it helps in MM when it's trying to get everyone to load the specific gametype/map. The more online Halo 3 folks that do this, the better.

NekoFever

I'm sticking Mass Effect on there as soon as the new dash is available, just to see whether or not it improves the loading and texture pop-in.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I already got my 120gig drive installed (got it a week ago) and ready to go.

Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Oblivion, and GTAIV are gonna go on for the duration of my playthrough / finishing the games at last.

Virtua Fighter 5, Rock Band 2, Halo 3, PGR 4, Skate, are gonna be semi-permanent residents, with how much they get played around here.

Domino Theory said:
Actually, it'll improve load times when trying to load a specific campaign mission, a specific map in customs, and it helps in MM when it's trying to get everyone to load the specific gametype/map. The more online Halo 3 folks that do this, the better.
I still can't get around the fact veto-ing is after the map loads instead of before the loading :(

Ricker

Domino Theory said:
Decreasing texture pop-in and faster load times = so much win.

Will it though? I'm always around 6 gigs on mine and the 120 hdd is still too expensive i think so i wont use this feature just for a few seconds of loading screen but if it helps in games like ME for the pop-ups and small skips,then i might for games like Fallout 3 etc,etc.

Full Recovery said:
Please let this come out before gears 2.

and turkish, are you sure you have a jasper? I didn't think they were out in the wild yet.

After a bit of checking of batch numbers, manufacture dates, power prick wattage and the like, it looks like I have a Jasper.

A few posters have linked me to reports of which batch numbers and the like to look for, and from that, combined with how fucking quiet the thing is when the DVD drive isn't being used, I'm betting it's a Jasper.

It's pretty much as quiet as the Wii. Or maybe a touch louder. Put it this way, the old 360s could be heard even with the sound up to a fair level. Now, you can't hear shit, even when the sound isn't that loud.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Domino Theory said:
and it helps in MM when it's trying to get everyone to load the specific gametype/map.
Yes, but you're still going to have to wait for everyone else to finish loading. I doubt there will be TONS of people who use this feature, and certainly not everyone in a Matchmaking room in Halo, hence why it isn't much point installing Halo.

Unless you play Customs and Campaign regularly with a bunch of people who also have the game installed, of course.

Falagard

Banzaiaap said:
I still can't get around the fact veto-ing is after the map loads instead of before the loading :(

Bungie commented that it was done to make sure all players could load the maps. This is only valid until you realize they could have done a quick check to verify all players had the map (without fully loading it), then veto, then if the map made it through veto then attempt to load. If any players fail to load the map (dirty disc) start the veto process again.

Though I don't know if there are other complications - I'm sure there are.

Falagard said:
Bungie commented that it was done to make sure all players could load the maps. This is only valid until you realize they could have done a quick check to verify all players had the map (without fully loading it), then veto, then if the map made it through veto then attempt to load. If any players fail to load the map (dirty disc) start the veto process again.

Though I don't know if there are other complications - I'm sure there are.
Oh, well.. I really can't complain about anything else about MM, but that just annoys me..

Jtyettis said:
If your power adapter is 4.0 amps it most likely is Jasper.

I'll double check that tonight, thanks.

Manufacture date is 13th August 08. That's only part I can remember off the top of my head, because I frekaed out when I saw it. I bought it on the 13th of September, so it was literally a month old.

so awesome.

scarybore

Falagard said:

Wish I knew exactly where Sandtrap was placed on the disc so I could scratch it the fuck out in order to never play the map again.

Anyways, I bought a 120GB HD in anticipation for this feature for £80 2 weeks back, then sold my 20GB HD for £25 locally so I effectively got it for £55 which suits me fine though it's still horrifically priced.

My current 360's laser is pretty much dead probably due to Lost Odyssey (and this will be my second 360 to have trouble reading discs) so once I get that replaced I at least know it shouldn't happen again with the install feature since the drive will be under a lot less strain. That and less noise will make me well chuffed.

Top Bottom