• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB Stream v1.0...very nice apps for XBox360

I just saw this posted over at XBox-Scene.com and thought I would share as an FYI:

"XB Stream v1.0 - RSS Feed Aggregator Software for Xbox 360

I'm emailing you today to share with you a piece of free software I have been working on for the past few months - XB Stream. XB Stream in a nutshell allows you to view XML (rss, rdf, xml, podcasts, blogcasts, itunes) based feeds on your Xbox 360. XB Stream also downloads audio feeds (blogcasts, podcasts) and builds them into playlists.
Xbox-Scene Xbox-Scene

The software works on all versions of Windows XP (Home, Professional, Media Center) as well as with Windows Vista. To get started make sure you have Windows Media Connect or Windows Media Player 11 (or higher) installed/configured and download a copy of XB Stream.

XB Stream automatically will download text based content feeds and render them into images that can be viewed on your Xbox 360 (media > pictures > computer) blade. Text feeds support html formatting and images, and will break up large feeds onto multiple images/feeds for easy navigation on your Xbox 360 console.

XB Stream also will download audio feeds and create playlists which are fully supported on Xbox 360. To listen to playlists on your Xbox 360 (media > music > computer> blade. You can now play your Xbox 360 games and listen to podcasts and blogcats from the vast gaming community on the internet.

XB Stream is fully configurable, allowing you to add new xml based feeds, edit and delete feeds you no longer wish to subscribe to. Not only that you can also set the frequency of how often XB Stream should update and determine the max number of content feed items to store for each content feed. XB Stream will even manage your content feeds and delete older feeds, thus freeing up important disk space on your computer!

XB Stream brings the Xbox gaming community together by consolidating all of the important gaming websites into one area where gamers can listen to and read about Xbox news, reviews, gossip and become participants in the emerging blogging craze.

The software is completely free of charge and is available to anyone with an XBox 360 video game console, and a Windows XP/Vista computer."

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EE...kZEsNyfoBFX.php

http://www.xbstream.com/xbs/

This little app is very simple but VERY sweet. I can listen to my podcast and get updates from sites and articles on the fly. This is something I wanted in the dash form the beginning, and this app will springboard the process. You should really check it out, it's pretty sweet for what it is (and I'm a busy SOB, this app helps me out a lot).

DCharlie

Banned
slight thread hijack, but my Media Connect just stopped working. Just up and decided that i can no longer see my X360.

I have to try to manually start it, but it just falls back to "not running"

any ideas what is wrong with this stupid stupid thing?

shpankey

not an idiot
is there anyway to configure it to at least read GAF, or any website for that matter? or vice-versa, could someone make a "feed" of GAF that would work with this software?

B'z-chan

Banned
DCharlie said:
slight thread hijack, but my Media Connect just stopped working. Just up and decided that i can no longer see my X360.

I have to try to manually start it, but it just falls back to "not running"

any ideas what is wrong with this stupid stupid thing?

First look at any network changes, if you use the ds dongle your ****ed unless you remove the software. If you dont make sure things are set up like before.

Remove media connect, restart pc, reinstall. If that doesnt work your gonna have to reformate the Xbox hd its funky but i've had all of these problems happen to me so i'm just letting you know how it goes from easiest to remove to hardest.

And this stuff is cool

japtor

shpankey said:
is there anyway to configure it to at least read GAF, or any website for that matter? or vice-versa, could someone make a "feed" of GAF that would work with this software?
'any' website or gaf, not that i know of, unless there is some sort of rss module for this kind of forum (and even then, some server mod/admin would have to install it first).

while not every site has a feed, many do. like if you wanted ign, they have a list of all their feeds here: http://corp.ign.com/feeds.html
pretty much any blog site (gizmodo, engadget, etc) should also have a feed available. most if not all blogging software has the feed stuff built in.

shpankey

not an idiot
japtor said:
'any' website or gaf, not that i know of, unless there is some sort of rss module for this kind of forum (and even then, some server mod/admin would have to install it first).

while not every site has a feed, many do. like if you wanted ign, they have a list of all their feeds here: http://corp.ign.com/feeds.html
pretty much any blog site (gizmodo, engadget, etc) should also have a feed available. most if not all blogging software has the feed stuff built in.
thanks. i misspoke however, i was meaning forum's. i should of said: "or any forum for that matter". i was wondering if there was any good gaming forums with this RSS stuff [sorry to sound so newb'ish, this is just my first time dealing with it so I know nada".

shpankey

not an idiot
can't get it to work. for some reason windows media connect stopped working once i installed windows media player 11 beta 2 (used to work fine with beta 1).

shpankey

not an idiot
nevermind, figured it out. apparently wmp 11 installed a service called "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service". it was by default disabled, so i just started it up and set it to auto and all is well now.

Yeah, I too was surprised how fucntional this little app is. It really makes it easy for a gaming nerd like myself to keep up with what's going on by combining it with the activity I spend a lot of free time consuming...GAMING. The TVersity app that was released a few weeks ago was OK, but XB Stream is slick as hell. For me personally, it's like breakfast in bed. I can listen to my podcast while gaming it up. Can quickly check for update while switching games. Decent GUI (on the PC), comes pre-loaded with most of the major XBox 360 and misc gaming podcasts and RSS feeds, and works with the various iterations of windows. Good stuff. Like I said I thought this is functionality I wanted in the XBox360 dashboard for quite some time.

I know there is stuff in WMP11 and Vista that will support this (or so I think), but this is a nice little piece of code.

Joeroll

B'z-chan said:
First look at any network changes, if you use the ds dongle your ****ed unless you remove the software. If you dont make sure things are set up like before.

Remove media connect, restart pc, reinstall. If that doesnt work your gonna have to reformate the Xbox hd its funky but i've had all of these problems happen to me so i'm just letting you know how it goes from easiest to remove to hardest.

And this stuff is cool

You fixed my problem too. Thank you.

wasting

Banned
wow, this looks really cool. gonna install it tonight

screen5.jpg

screen6.jpg

shpankey

not an idiot
X360FanBoyLOL said:
Hey I was wondering if you guys know any websites that have world news and sports audio blogcasts thanks

espn.com

and

snnsi.com

both have tons of feeds.

Top Bottom