• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

Civ Rev isn't a new game by any stretch but it was one of my underrated gems of the past generation.It's not as complex as the PC Civ games but it's really fun and I like the artstyle.

Dungeon Defenders is literally the worst game I have ever played.

21155d1375921450-joel-lanning-jaguars-fan.gif

Montresor

Dungeon Defenders is literally the worst game I have ever played.

Literally laughed out loud on the way home reading this.

Can someone describe these two games and classify their genres?

I.E. If Lost Odyssey was a GWG title, I'd say: JRPG, random battles. No matter how objectively good the core mechanics are, I wouldn't play the game because I can't stand the genre.

Terrible selections. And I say this as a Civilization fan and a guy who was contemplating buying CivRev again after I bought it at launch and sold it a few months later.

atomsk

Party Pooper
How many tower defense style games have they put up on GWG now? 3-4?

I try to keep an open mind about all genres, but goddamn.

Syriel

Civ: Revolution?? niiiiice. it's actually a bit of a hurdle finding a copy of that game. would play.

Syriel did this last month and got the prediction right, yeah????? who is this guy??

I'm just someone who posts information once I've confirmed it if it seems like it would be of interest to others.

Waiting for a press release seems kind of pointless, you know? :)

AzBat

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Asl3HU3xJ2rLdDR0T0MtX2l3VUpvZXB0cVc4VWVPcVE&output=html

I've added new info for this update.
1) Price
2) Link to Xbox Marketplace to download
3) Total Value
4) Colored MetaCritic Metascore cell according to score. Uses same score range as Metacritc - http://www.metacritic.com/about-metascores
5) Average MetaCritic Metascore.
6) Sorting, but it's only available for those that I share with. HTML version doesn't support scripting. Sorry. If anybody can help me make that available to the public that would be great.

Looks like I've saved over $300 since the program started in June. Not great, but not too bad for a first start. Actual savings is a lot less since I already finished 3 of them before I got them free. Plus, I have only played one of the titles since downloading. Eventually they will release a title that I've missed & want to play.

jbug617

Banned
Phil Spencer talked about Games with Gold today during the chat with Keighley at SXSW.

The problems they face.

"One of our issues with Games with Gold — not 'issues,' but differences between the other system we get compared to, is the fact that with Games with Gold, you get to keep that game, regardless of whether you continue to subscribe," Spencer said. "And the business around Games with Gold, for us, is just fundamentally different from some of the other programs that are out there, which does put a different financial picture on a — you're gonna go buy a game that's brand new, the cost of putting that in, just to be kind of blunt about it."

The future

"That said, I have been sitting down, monthly now, with that team — some of the earlier months were already programmed — and playing a more active role in picking franchises that show up in Games with Gold, and I think you'll see at least something that feels, at least, more true to what I think Games with Gold should look like with the constraints that are there," Spencer said.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/9/548...th-gold-will-feel-more-true-to-what-consumers

ghostmind

To me it sounds like a lazy excuse to underperform - setting expectations low.

It's called "Games with Gold" - why not tie it to the Gold subscription service just as Sony does for PSN+? They are already requiring Gold to get the game for free initially anyway, and obviously gaming audiences have not stormed Sony's HQ with pitchforks for Sony requiring an ongoing PSN subscription.

Again, it just feels like excuses to satisfy their business partners.

SirKhalid

To me it sounds like a lazy excuse to underperform - setting expectations low.

It's called "Games with Gold" - why not tie it to the Gold subscription service just as Sony does for PSN+? They are already requiring Gold to get the game for free initially anyway, and obviously gaming audiences have not stormed Sony's HQ with pitchforks for Sony requiring an ongoing PSN subscription.

Because it would take time and money to develop a new system. It's way easier for them to do what they are doing right now.

That's an interesting point, but doesn't it seem logical that MS is paying their partners more per title since they're giving away the licences indefinitely to subscribers?

Whether that's a smart model, however, is a different matter. Personally, I find the PS+ model preferable.

I don't mind getting the odd games. Because those are the games I haven't played. But find myself actually liking them.

If they offered only AAA games I probably wouldn't get them because I most likely have played them.

For example tomb raider is ps3 game? I have played that already.... But never tried Toy Soldiers before so it was good to get that.

Either way both are giving free games so I'm not complaining. 10 years ago we got shit all.

Chettlar

Banned
I don't mind getting the odd games. Because those are the games I haven't played. But find myself actually liking them.

If they offered only AAA games I probably wouldn't get them because I most likely have played them.

For example tomb raider is ps3 game? I have played that already.... But never tried Toy Soldiers before so it was good to get that.

Either way both are giving free games so I'm not complaining. 10 years ago we got shit all.

I had never considered getting iron brigade or even keflings. I enjoyed both. Yes, even keflings. Not bad at all.

Here's what I think MS should sometime in the future. Release Halo 4 for games with gold, and then 3, 4, 6 whatever months later instead of a game have all the DLC for free. That way you'd actually have DLC coming up in matchmaking.

Do the same thing for Halo 3 and stuff.

BlindRage

I just feel like they're fighting this losing battle against ps4 and ps+ is already leaps and bounds ahead in the free game department that they should switch it to keep gold in order to keep the games.

Think it would make them more money if people were getting Bioshock Infinite and had to pay to keep that and games of that caliber.

That said, I did like getting Sleeping Dogs and Fable 3 and some of the arcade games.

Chettlar

Banned
I just feel like they're fighting this losing battle against ps4 and ps+ is already leaps and bounds ahead in the free game department that they should switch it to keep gold in order to keep the games.

Think it would make them more money if people were getting Bioshock Infinite and had to pay to keep that and games of that caliber.

That said, I did like getting Sleeping Dogs and Fable 3 and some of the arcade games.

I honestly prefer being able to keep these games. I really dislike how much people are saying all this stuff about Spencer and GwG in general, because honestly, Spencer is right. It's a trade-off.

And hey, see if you get a playstation and an xbox, well would you look at that. You're getting older/newish-but-cheap games that you can keep and new AAA titles that you you're essentially renting but slightly better.

But if you can't. Hey, it's a choice you make. I'm often disconnected from the Internet on my console, and I don't have the money to keep paying for a service, so MS's version suits me better. :)

blazeuk

It's a weird one, I do prefer the idea of keeping games forever (obviously) but MS really haven't got the balance right, the current games they've offered have not been anything special and they're not convincing many people that owning the games is worth the trade off when Sony can provide more games and much newer ones which actually still hold value too. Hopefully they'll improve on it quickly.

Randomly and very very unlikely but it would be amazing if Sony decided to turn all those PS+ games into permanent purchases in the future when the titles hold little value anymore (or allow a small one off purchase to own them), it'd sadly never happen given the amount of permission they would need to get though.

I'm pretty happy that they went with the "you keep the games forever" stuff because my gold expires next month and I propably won't get a new one. So I can keep all the games they put in so far and play then whenever I want.
Games weren't all that good but there were some decent ones.
Especially Heroes of Might & Magic was really an awesomes game.

Chettlar

Banned
It's a weird one, I do prefer the idea of keeping games forever (obviously) but MS really haven't got the balance right, the current games they've offered have not been anything special and they're not convincing many people that owning the games is worth the trade off when Sony can provide more games and much newer ones which actually still hold value too. Hopefully they'll improve on it quickly.

Randomly and very very unlikely but it would be amazing if Sony decided to turn all those PS+ games into permanent purchases in the future when the titles hold little value anymore (or allow a small one off purchase to own them), it'd sadly never happen given the amount of permission they would need to get though.

Well then his statement is good news (we hope). He mentioned in the future being more personally involved in helping to up the quality of the games. Here's hoping that pans out.

They can't do that on 360, part of how the system is setup.

For X1 I expect that will be the deal though, if you stop your Gold sub you lose access to GwG.

DaBlackNerd

Neo Member
I think you have to take into account that Mircosoft is indeed giving these games away for free, for forever. I have been completely ok with giving them the benefit of the doubt that it might take a awhile to get other companies to sign on for something like that.

Excuse my ignorance but does anyone know the deal that Mircosoft has set up with these companies to allow them to give it away?

I support both systems and I am eager to see how this plays out long term because as it was mention there is trade offs to each program.

Doffen

I've got no problem with these games being "old", I just think that Microsoft needs to put out more games on it. 1 retail and 1 XBLA a month just seems too cheap compared to PS+.

I would like to see 4 Xbox 360 games (at least 1 retail) and two Xbox One games each month.
I'm a dreamer

Really? I quite enjoyed the selections like Sleeping Dogs, Dead Island, Gears of War, Dead Rising 2, Crackdown, Halo 3, Assassin's Creed 2, Crackdown, Civilization. I mean, that's a pretty fucking solid lineup of free games.

Top Bottom