• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

Footos22

Viking is pretty decent, tough as nails though. Game doesn't seem to save your progress, which is kind of annoying, but I guess that's part of the appeal? Trying to recapture the old arcade style of gameplay?

you can walk left at the begining of each stage to get to the last stage you were at.
Game doesnt save on path of the valkyrie though and you get limited lives.

That was a bug apparently. An update came out a few days ago to fix it.

Really? There I was thinking that's just how the game was meant to be played. Good to hear it was a bug and has been patched though, should make it slightly easier.

you can walk left at the begining of each stage to get to the last stage you were at.
Game doesnt save on path of the valkyrie though and you get limited lives.

Huh, I didn't know that was an option.

Alx

I wouldn't mind getting Zoo Tycoon either. It's not the kind of game I'd buy for myself, but if free I'd gladly mess around with it just to be able to interact with the animals.
Worms games always had a great reputation, but I never managed to get into them, so I suppose I'd pass.

Im not particularly interested in Worms myself but i'll take it on GwG.

That and IDARB would be a good month. IDARB had a party for it going gold recently so I can't see why else they would be waiting to release it (as with Volgarr)

Not sure about putting two multiplayer titles on it though

EBE

Worms sounds alright? are people angry about the perceived quality of the games offered or the fact that they only ever offer one game instead of say, two or three?

KuGsj.gif
yeah no way I'm renewing my Gold now. I'll wait until they start upgrading this stuff. Only way they'll notice what they're doing is not good....

Alx

I may try SSX, why not... As I said I never really liked Worms, maybe I'll give it another chance since I have the opportunity, but I doubt things will change. I had to Google Raven since I didn't know anything about it, but I think I'll pass.

Worms sounds alright? are people angry about the perceived quality of the games offered or the fact that they only ever offer one game instead of say, two or three?

I think most people are frustrated that PS+ seems to be delivering far more value every month when compared to GwG.

New games for December!

Source: http://majornelson.com/2014/11/26/xbox-live-games-gold-december-2014/?linkId=10760985

XB1: Worms Battlegrounds
360: The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief (December 1st - 15th) / SSX (December 16th - December 31st)

Thoughts on these new freebies?

Wow... Someone suggested Limbo the other day and I thought that sounded bad... I would have preferred that.

Thank god I got Live for free, otherwise I'd be feeling real down about that decision about now.

Alx

I think most people are frustrated that PS+ seems to be delivering far more value every month when compared to GwG.

Those things seem to come and go... I remember people complaining a couple of months ago that the games offered by PS+ sucked compared to the crop of GwG of that time. In the end it's mostly a matter of people's tastes and the games they already own.

sam777

PS Plus hasn't been very good for a while however December is very good with a retail game included, so I can see why people are disappointed with GWG this month.

EBE

I'm comparing it to PS+. Simple as that.

i suppose. viva pinata + red faction + volgarr didnt seem too bad.
i just think is a bit silly to say you wont be resubbing because of a weak lineup for a particular month, especially if youve already downloaded past games with gold or do any amount of online gaming - considering all the big releases that have literally just dropped.

Those things seem to come and go... I remember people complaining a couple of months ago that the games offered by PS+ sucked compared to the crop of GwG of that time. In the end it's mostly a matter of people's tastes and the games they already own.

But part of the problem with GwG is that, in general, they seem to choose much older games than PS+. Doesn't happen every month, but overall, GwG is selecting games from farther back in the 360's library than PS+ is with the PS3's library. That increases the likelihood that people have already purchased those 360 games, or at the very least that those games are worth very little.

PS Plus hasn't been very good for a while however December is very good with a retail game included, so I can see why people are disappointed with GWG this month.

PS+ has been a little bit of a mixed bag the past few months, but yes, December is killer, and January looks good too. I'm surprised we're getting inFamous: First Light, a standalone DLC that released in August, for free through PS+ in January. And that's only one of two new games we'll get. GwG just doesn't deliver that kind of value.

cakely

More like "Garbage with Gold". At least it's not a repeat from a previous month.

Ah, well, it's all a bonus since not subscribing to gold is a pretty pointless exercise with the type of games I play.

Senteevs

Edit: do you guys really just subscribe for the free games?

I hate playing online multiplayer so, yeah, for me it is just the games and some deals. Hasn't been worth though. And Worms is the last straw.
Zoo Tycoon would have made me happy.

New games for December!
/ SSX (December 16th - December 31st)

Thoughts on these new freebies?

Fantastic!

After a recent GAF thread I was planning on buying Skate 3 and SSX as my intros into the genre.

With those and Alice Madness Returns for free and Burnout Paradise, Brothers and Strider on sale, XBLive Gold has really payed for itself even though I hardly play MP.

Keep it up MS :)

lol, I just bought Raven in its last sale and did not play it yet. Thus, if it is only the first episode, it was $3. Talk about value, Microsoft.

And sadly I already have Worms....

Xis

Both?

I've been pretty happy with the X360 offerings (just finished Dead Rising 2), but the X1/Gold offerings are both fewer and worse than what Sony offers for PS4/Plus.

Quantity:
Sony gives out two PS4 games a month (thanks to cross-buy sometimes it is 3)
Microsoft gives out one XB1 game per month (although twice they gave out two games).

Quality:
Most of Sony's PS4 offerings have scored above a 75 on Metacritic.
Most of Microsoft's XB1 offerings have scored below a 75 on Metacritic.

Chris1

Not the XBO games.
This, but honestly before this month the only game I was slightly interested in on both side was Max so I've personally got no real complaints.

I was hoping to get a retail game, though I'm not shocked we didn't either. This is Sony's first time locking multiplayer behind PS+ they need to convince people into re subbing for the year, MS doesn't really. I have no doubt Sony's game quality will go down quite a lot come Feb, but it would have been nice if MS matched it with another retail game.

alterno69

Banned
Both current gen consoles are one year old now, seems like PS+ will start giving retail games from now on, or at least, "bigger" games. If MS doesn't follow suit then it sucks. As a PS4 mainly gamer i'd love for Xbox One to follow suit with retail games on GWG, i barely play anything on Xbox as it is, main reason i'm a subscriber is because my son used to play Garden Warfare A LOT. He's moving on to other games now so unless MS changes their current stratefy i won't be resubing Gold.

Top Bottom