• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA - Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

This thread is really making me sad. Castlevania has always been one of my favorite video game series and seeing one of its prominent developers in the dumps is getting me down.

I mean, truthfully, I think I'd like to see Iga move on to another company and another franchise. I love his games, but I think he's kind of played his hand with regards to Castlevania. If he stayed at Konami and forever cranked out Metroidvanias, I'd be content, but it would be neat if he could like, go over to Capcom and yank Firebrand's face out of the fucking mud or something.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
*looks at his game shelf, where DoS, PoR and OoE sit side by side*
Damnit, I don't own a 360, but I'll practically give my friends money to buy this game. Those videos do look fun, and with enough variety like OoE, the Metroidvania formula is a solid foundation that I enjoy playing more of. Dawn of Sorrow is still one of the top DS games of all time.

Looks pretty good, even if the production values aren't through the roof. I haven't played any of the recent 2D games because I don't really play portables. So I'm interested in this. As long as Iga is at the helm, I'm sure it will be worth 10 or 15 bucks. If the very same game had been released on XBLA 3 years ago there would probably be more excitement. But with the bar for DL 2D games rising all the time (SF2 HD remix, BC:R, Castle Crashers, Braid, Shadow Complex, just to name a few), I guess this seems a bit regressive.

That's OK, I doubt many retro gamers will really complain.

Vamphuntr

So we can expect this in July since it's part of the Summer of Arcade promotion? The page for this is up on xbox.com. It seems it's possible to save ghost data and send it to your friends.

TxdoHawk

Vamphuntr said:
So we can expect this in July since it's part of the Summer of Arcade promotion? The page for this is up on xbox.com. It seems it's possible to save ghost data and send it to your friends.

Pretty safe to say at this point. There are four Wednesdays in July and five games on the release schedule. Even if they only released a title a week starting that first Wednesday in July and this was last, it would hit August 4th. I highly doubt we will have to wait that long though...this seems content complete based on previews (full menus, etc.) so I'm guessing it's going to be slotted early in the month.

call me crazy, but even as an avid Iga/Metroidvania hater the vids and descriptions of this game have me intrigued. It's just a shame that being on the verge of being fired/committing sepoku is what finally drove that hack Iga to push some newer ideas into the same old stale games he's been creating the last 10 years, and the sad part is now he doesn't have the budget to truly flesh them out.

Vamphuntr

Pretty sure we'll get a release date soon. Summer of Arcade always started in July which is starting next week. They will probably announce the schedule and pricing soon :D

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Apparently Deadliest Warrior is coming out July 14th (Sources are The Gametrailers Pre E3 microsoft show, Joystiq, etc), so we can expect that summer of arcade will not have started by then.

Do look forward to being able to plan my Summer O' Arcade budget soon! Wonder if they'll be any suprise prices (hopefully on the low end!) These games are guarenteed the best exposure of all XBLA releases... and it'd be fantastic if this game would come with avatar awards... (Alucard Avatar item would make everyone+2000 buy this game, really.)

Ninja Scooter said:
call me crazy, but even as an avid Iga/Metroidvania hater the vids and descriptions of this game have me intrigued. It's just a shame that being on the verge of being fired/committing sepoku is what finally drove that hack Iga to push some newer ideas into the same old stale games he's been creating the last 10 years, and the sad part is now he doesn't have the budget to truly flesh them out.

Only really stale one was HoD.

FrankT

Vamphuntr said:
Pretty sure we'll get a release date soon. Summer of Arcade always started in July which is starting next week. They will probably announce the schedule and pricing soon :D

I hope they do.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Scythesurge said:
This thread is really making me sad. Castlevania has always been one of my favorite video game series and seeing one of its prominent developers in the dumps is getting me down.
I hear you. Iga is excellent. I also loved Curse of Darkness, but the 2-D Iga CVs were the best! I guess this means we'll never see the rumored 1999 CV that he had planned?

Foffy

Banned
Darkmakaimura said:
I hear you. Iga is excellent. I also loved Curse of Darkness, but the 2-D Iga CVs were the best! I guess this means we'll never see the rumored 1999 CV that he had planned?

He apparently has more projects in the work, outside of this game. I'm pretty sure the team formed with the DS trilogy has next to no hand in this title.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
And old friend, MsPortraitOfRuin mentioned that there should be something next year for Castlevania!

With the new XBLA title + Lords of Shadow, I'm happy! I can't wait til' next year!

EDIT: does anyone know who the heck I'm referring to? lol

I want to like this and I probably will get it just because it's Castlevania.

But I don't like the concept of playing with a time limit and co-op.

I was hoping this would have the option to play as a single player Metrovania with a story made exclusive for XBOX Live. But I guess it's just a arcade type of game.

Foffy

Banned
MarkMan said:
And old friend, MsPortraitOfRuin mentioned that there should be something next year for Castlevania!

With the new XBLA title + Lords of Shadow, I'm happy! I can't wait til' next year!

Yep. That girl spoiled almost the entirety of Portrait of Ruin four or so months before it was even out anywhere. :lol

She also leaked information on Dracula X Chronicles, Order of Ecclesia, Lunar Knights, and Super Smash Bros Brawl. I don't know where she's been since 2008, though.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Foffy said:
Yep. That girl spoiled almost the entirety of Portrait of Ruin four or so months before it was even out anywhere. :lol

She also leaked information on Dracula X Chronicles, Order of Ecclesia, Lunar Knights, and Super Smash Bros Brawl. I don't know where she's been since 2008, though.

I had a feeling that she worked for either Nintendo or Konami as she was always talking about meeting with IGA hahahah

Beth Cyra

MarkMan said:

Any other hints besides just a vague next year?

TreIII

cartman414 said:
Sure would love it if it were an all new, full length 2d old-school action-vania.

....developed by Arc System Works. :D

But seriously, if "Hard Corps: Uprising" does well enough, I could see that being all the more reason for Konami to be interested in doing more along those lines. I'd welcome ASW doing such a thing.

TreIII said:
....developed by Arc System Works. :D

But seriously, if "Hard Corps: Uprising" does well enough, I could see that being all the more reason for Konami to be interested in doing more along those lines. I'd welcome ASW doing such a thing.
I'm looking forward to Hard Corps! Looks awesome!

But why do I get this bad feeling that there will be stupid little DLCs, like unlocking playable characters for 80pts, etc.?

SNK/Playmore is doing that with the Metal Slug XX game. Ridiculous isn't it?

jaxword

Foffy said:

Unemployed, perhaps?

Sagitario

MarkMan said:

YAY!
kT6B5.png

Beth Cyra

MechaX said:
Hey, the Richter, Julius, Yoko, and Albus sprites are still waiting to be used!

Richter would be nice, as he is my favorite Belmont. But still Julius would be welcome to because it still weirds me out that all these characters are here and yet no Belmont.

jaxword

TruePrime said:
Richter would be nice, as he is my favorite Belmont. But still Julius would be welcome to because it still weirds me out that all these characters are here and yet no Belmont.

If they want the old-school crowd, it'll be Simon.

MechaX

Segata Sanshiro said:
That price is going to burn the game hard.

I'll bite the bullet for IGA's sake, but yikes, that 1,200 price point is pretty brutal for a game like this (even more so if the game ends up being really, really short). It should have been priced at 800 points.

Daigoro

Achievements list is up:

There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.
Sort:
Lifeguard 10
Bring a comrade back from the dead.
Slick Kick 10
Defeat a boss using sliding.
Bone Cold Justice 10
Defeat an enemy by hitting back a Skeleton's bone.
Grim Synergy 10
Defeat a boss using a Dual Crush.
Poetic Justice 15
Defeat an ally who has been seduced by the enemy.
Vampire Hunter 15
Destroy the lord of Castlevania.
Grasshopper 20
Jump kick 30 times in a row without touching the ground.
Boned 20
Defeat a boss with 5 players in skeleton form.
Pack Rat 20
Collect 300 different types of items.
Wicked Deep Pockets 20
Amass 1,000,000 gold.
Slaughtervania 20
Rack up 10,000 enemy kills.
Hunter Legend 30
Complete Hard Mode.

Ricker

MechaX said:
I'll bite the bullet for IGA's sake, but yikes, that 1,200 price point is pretty brutal for a game like this (even more so if the game ends up being really, really short). It should have been priced at 800 points.

Well this will be one of the 3 games I get,along with Limbo and Tomb Raider,to be eligible for the 400 points giveaway so you could say it`s 800 points hehe...seriously i`m debating between this and Hydro Thunder for my 3rd choice...

TxdoHawk

Interesting achievements. Looks like that pretty much confirms there will be harder versions of levels, which I was hoping for...and hopefully better item drops to go with them!

TxdoHawk

Destructoid saw Harmony of Despair again at Comicon:

http://www.destructoid.com/sdcc-another-look-at-castlevania-harmony-of-despair-179688.phtml

Today I had a chance to check out a new level for Castlevania: Harmony of Despair. This new stage, named Lord of Unseen Strings, follows up the first level, which we saw at E3 last month.

In this new level we had 30 minutes to work our way through the massive map to find the boss, a Puppet Master. Compare this to the 10-minute demo from E3. Being a Castlevania game, the level starts out with basic platforming, but then works up to puzzles where you're trying to figure out what a certain lever does.

So, it looks like every level won't necessarily be a 10-minute rush to get to the boss.

Top Bottom