• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA release schedule for the rest of August

neptunes

According to the Official Xbox Magazine, the release schedule for the rest of august is as follows...

Pac-Man (august 9th)
Texas Hold 'em (august 16th)
Time Pilot (august 23rd)
Scramble (august 30th) <----
--->>Lumines Live! (September 6th)

Spencerr

Banned
At first I thought that said Scrabble, I got excited.

I'm afraid that one game a week is going to end up too restrictive. Microsoft having an assload of games ready to be released back logged.

Shit, thought it was Scrabble, as well. That would f'n own. Imagine the achievements :D

My guess is by the time Madden rolls around, you won't find a friend online playing something other than that, Texas Hold 'em or Dead Rising!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
time pilot! woo

Nemesis556 said:
Lumines! What's Time Pilot? =/

multiway scrolling arcade shmup. You're in the middle in a little fighter plane, and you can move in all eight directions (the screen scrolls accordingly). Depending on the level, you have to shoot down WWI biplanes, WWII fighters, modern jets or spaceships.

Great fun and was a fave when I was a child

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Ms. Pac-Man is the greatest arcade game in history. Regular ol' Pac-Man will have to do I guess.

bill0527

Baron Aloha said:
Did the Texas Hold'em free/not free thing ever get cleared up?

I hope its free. That would rock.

Nope.

They lost their sponser and instead of spending another 6 months trying to find another sponser and work out a deal, they're just going ahead and releasing it. No word yet on what ts going to cost. If its only 400 points I'll probably still get it. I'm trying to look on the bright side, if people have to pay a little something for it, then hopefully there will be fewer jackasses playing the game who have no idea what they're doing. Or fewer people stepping up to tables just to grief and sabotage the game.

BuddyC

fr4nz said:
pacman and lumines for me :D
btw how much points will cost lumines ? 1200 ?
That's what the IGN preview suggested. Theoretically, we should be getting a PR soon to confirm all this.

jarrod

Banned
Lumines is next up for me I guess. After that just Sonic, Small Arms and SOTN... I love arcade ports, but some stuff less ancient than the Namco/Konami deluge we're getting would be nice.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm still so disappointed that the Texas Hold 'Em isn't free anymore - it was the factor that guaranteed that EVERYONE on Live was going to have it... and that would have been so much fun, damn it...

I may still get it if the price is right, I'm not too sure...

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
jarrod said:
Lumines is next up for me I guess. After that just Sonic, Small Arms and SOTN... I love arcade ports, but some stuff less ancient than the Namco/Konami deluge we're getting would be nice.
???

That's not Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, is it? I was under the impression that there was no way PS1 games would make it over to XBL.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
anachronous_one said:
???

That's not Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, is it? I was under the impression that there was no way PS1 games would make it over to XBL.

Yeah, it's Symphony of the Night. It's coming early 2007.

jarrod

Banned
anachronous_one said:
???

Yep it is. It's also only coming to XBLA (no PSP Connect or Virtual Console release).

pswii60

anachronous_one said:
???

I think we'll laugh at this in a year's time, simply because they certainaly won't keep the 50mb limited forever, and I'm pretty sure that between now and then there will be some insane annoucements that'll make us love XBLA more than we ever could have possibly thought!

Well, the possibilities for XBLA are endless, and it sounds like MS are embracing that fact - Greg Canessa said in a recentl interview with IGN that there will be some big franchies coming back in retro form and also BRAND NEW versions of the games being made - sounds good :)

Arsenal

neptunes said:
Texas Hold 'em (august 16th)

Can anyone else confirm this? I expected a lot more hype around this release and am pretty suprised that they would release it this soon.

I also suspected they would hold back this game until well after Activision's poker game came out on Sept 1. I imagine releasing Texas Hold'em first will have a significant impact on that games sales.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'll buy Hold 'Em for 400, and that's probably it. Well, I'd happily buy Lumines Live for 800, but that isn't gonna happen.

I LOVE XBLA - I didn't even have a retail 360 game for the first 2-3 weeks I had my 360 and had a great time with the three games I bought for $25, demos, etc. But now that Arcade is taking off... I dunno. Lumines for 1200 is just too much, imo. Are we ever gonna see 400 point games again that aren't retro ports? GeoWars was perfect at 400.

Gigglepoo

How does Hold 'Em work exactly? I know you can't actually gamble (though gamling Marketplace Points would be awesome) but I know that pretend betting has to take place. So... does everyone just start with a finite amount of money?

Arsenal

Gigglepoo said:
How does Hold 'Em work exactly. I know you can't actually gamble (though gamling Marketplace Points would be awesome) but I know that pretend betting has to take place. So... does everyone just start with a finite amount of money?

Everyone starts with the same amount of money and when you play online matches, the amount you win/loose is tied to your gamertag - permanently. You can always go to the ATM and withdraw more money, but you essentially will go into the negative. There will be certain rooms that require a specific positive balance to enter, other rooms will be open to anyone. Basically, the good/serious players will end up with their own exclusive rooms. The idiots who go All In on every hand and just screw around will be stuck in the free-for-all rooms. If you have a run of bad luck, you'll have to work your way back up in the free-for-all rooms.

Gigglepoo

Arsenal said:
You can always go to the ATM and withdraw more money, but you essentially will go into the negative.

How does this work? Does it mean that, if you start with 20K and lose it all, by drawing 10K more from the ATM you are actually down 30K? This sounds like a pretty fair system. Can't wait to see how this works in practice. I'm worried that tables will become disrupted with people continuously standing up and sitting down. If they attach some abritrary number of hands you have to play that would add some cohesiveness.

eso76

Nemesis556 said:
Lumines! What's Time Pilot? =/

Time Pilot ? Time Pilot is the first game Yoshiki Okamoto has designed.
(edit: unless Gyruss came out before TimePilot, but i don't think so)

Yes, that Okamoto: Street Fighter 2 creator and former Capcom frontman.

Arsenal

Gigglepoo said:
How does this work? Does it mean that, if you start with 20K and lose it all, by drawing 10K more from the ATM you are actually down 30K? This sounds like a pretty fair system. Can't wait to see how this works in practice. I'm worried that tables will become disrupted with people continuously standing up and sitting down. If they attach some abritrary number of hands you have to play that would add some cohesiveness.

I would think you'd just be $10k in the hole at that point. Say there is a room that you can only get into if you have a $50k balance - you'd need to win back $60k before being eligible to get into the room. I have no idea how they will work the tables - if people will be able to come and go as they please. I'm sure they will have tournaments though where the round just keeps going until one person wins - if they make the buy-in significant enough, people will be motivated to stick around to complete it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Time Pilot is a scrolling (8-way) shooter where you battle various air/spacecraft in different time periods. It's fun but wicked simplistic. Time Pilot 84, the sequel was way better, obviously.

time_pilot.jpg

Scramble is the spiritual predecessor to Gradius - very literally. Fly through rocky caverns shooting aliens and bombing ground targets - the main gameplay mechanic though, is refueling. Which you have to do constantly to stay aloft.

scramble.png

wanderer

Some crappy games. Lumines might be worth it. Overall MS is being far too rigid with the XBLA service for it to really take off. I'm hoping for better, maybe when they see Nintendo's Virtual Console they may just get their act in gear.

Unlike many of the people who have experienced XBLA I'm not impressed, too few worthwhile games.

Top Bottom