• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360: Component HD vs. VGA vs. ???

terrene

Banned
So, I just got one of these:

sony-KDF-E50A10.jpg

And it has VGA, HDMI, HD Component, S-Video, and of course standard RCA & coaxial cable.

I was eyeballing the VGA cable, because I feel like the component inputs have the teeniest little bit of analog artifacting around high-contrast edges, like a VGA signal to an LCD, nothing more.

Would getting the VGA cable produce a cleaner image than the High-def component?

Are there any plans for digital output (presumably DVI) yet? If so, I guess I should hold off on the VGA.

Also, WTF is the "optical cable" that MadCatz is selling? I'm assuming it's audio?

KingJ2002

i have the vga cables and i get a very clean picture... plus there is no need to switch between SD and HDTV on the cable.

what i did notice is that i cant choose 1080i on the system settings

only up to 1360x768

Kon Tiki

Banned
VGA does not do true 720p or 1080. There is not plans for a official digital (video) output yet. I think I seen a 3rd party making a HDMI output.

Digitial Optical, or TOSLINK, is for sound, yes.

terrene

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
i have the vga cables and i get a very clean picture... plus there is no need to switch between SD and HDTV on the cable.

only up to 1360x768
Interesting. Did a bit of googling and found out that

A) There are no plans for DVI/HDMI right now.
B) Until such a cable comes out, the 360 will not be able to upscale standard-definition DVDs, as the standards body (DVD forum) required digital output for that happen.

http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/1245/Xbox-360-FAQs/p2/

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
KingJ2002 said:

only up to 1360x768

it's because there's no interlaced mode through VGA.

Anyhoo, get VGA because then it's (usually) native resolution, with no uncalled for scaling by the TV. And choose the native resolution of your screen from the 360 dash. Bam.

Component should still loook sweet though.

PS>, your TV gives me a boner.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

terrene

Banned
Stinkles said:
it's because there's no interlaced mode through VGA.

Anyhoo, get VGA because then it's (usually) native resolution, with no uncalled for scaling by the TV. And choose the native resolution of your screen from the 360 dash. Bam.

Component should still loook sweet though.

PS>, your TV gives me a boner.

Oh yes. Just got the TV last night. I had bought a larger one, but before opening the box, I immediately resold it and went with this plenty-big (50") Sony because the image processing / upscaling was so clean and perfect. I just fell in love with it when I saw it. The graphics processor in the unit makes all the difference in the world when it comes to image quality.

Thanks for the help -- I thought the "HDMI" cables looked a little, er, component-ish, but Froogle even lists multiple stores that have it, with descriptions specifically saying:

"Showcase stunning Xbox 360 high-definition graphics on your HDTV using the HDMI input."

I'm not sure if it's a listing error or if the picture (clearly of component) is in error. They can't both be right.

terrene

Banned
GXAlan said:
yeah, but the deinterlacing is terrible on the xbox 360. It only scores 5 on the HQV Benchmark.
Yeah, I noticed the 360's DVD picture kind of sucks. :( The colors look dull, and I still see a hint of waviness from bad deinterlacing on my LCD screen. (Mostly when credits roll).

Nevermind about the Pelican cable by the way. All the other stores have it listed with the same pic, and only that one claims it's HDMI.

Top Bottom