• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Dev Kit with 1GB RAM

Dexvex said:
Im pretty sure they would have flags to notice the difference between debug and retail and scale accordingly. I mean devs haven't been crying about how hard the 360 is to develop for so it probably hasn't been holding anybody back.

Look at the post above yours.

How big of concern it's been is of course out of my league, but it seems it was an issue.

Triple U

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Look at the post above yours.

How big of concern it's been is of course out of my league, but it seems it was an issue.

Yeah i just seen that. Interesting.

But as i said earlier devs should have had this extra ram every since they finalized the 360's specification.

Dexvex said:
Yeah i just seen that. Interesting.

But as i said earlier devs should have had this extra ram every since they finalized the 360's specification.

Should have, yes. But didn't. Which is why the 360 dev kit was an oddity. This new dev kit is what rectifies the issue.

duk

Banned
this will help 360 games a bit, an extra 20 to 50mb is signifcant enough to have a bit of an impact.

Dural

Philanthropist said:
PS3 devkits always had 1 GB of RAM, but it's always been for development purposes. It has nothing to do with what retail units, current or future, will perform like. This should be the same case.

You are wrong.

Actually... PS3 debugs have 512MB of main ram and 256MB of video ram, so 256MB more than the retail units.

edit-And the extra 256MB is a recent addition.

bluemax

Banned
360 dev kits didn't have more ram than retail kits before? I never noticed.

Not really news to get excited about for non developers, there's little chance this is sign of a retail addition.

PSGames

bluemax said:
360 dev kits didn't have more ram than retail kits before? I never noticed.

Not really news to get excited about for non developers, there's little chance this is sign of a retail addition.

What I don't understand is why so much more though? Going from 512 to 1GB is accounting for a lot more than Debugging overhead. The PS3 for instance only has 256 more in it's dev kits. There may be some truth to that Natal console afterall.

Dexvex said:
dude this has nothing to do with retail 360s. Yes games will probably look a little better before the 360 dies but it is not because of more ram in the dev kit. Retail units have had virtually the same spec since launch.

You misinterprited my post. I'm saying games have a chance of looking better with more available ram to developers not because the retail version is getting a RAM increase. The question now is how much difference can 50MB of RAM in a closed environment make?

I don't really know too much about all that technical mumbo-jumbo, but if it does help them to improve games, we probably won't see the fruits of this move for at least close to year from now.

Miburou

Be glad that the 360 has half a gig of RAM. Microsoft originally wanted 256MB total, but Epic convinced them otherwise by showing them Gears of War with 256MB and with 512MB of RAM.

As for the PS3, I really wish Sony had gone with 1GB of RAM rather than stupid wifi or card readers. Would've made a noticeable difference.

Miburou said:
Be glad that the 360 has half a gig of RAM. Microsoft originally wanted 256MB total, but Epic convinced them otherwise by showing them Gears of War with 256MB and with 512MB of RAM.

I really wish would've gone with 1GB of RAM rather than stupid wifi or card readers. Would've made a noticeable difference.
MS didn't go with either of those, that was sony.... maybe they could have gone with 1024gb.

duk

Banned
Miburou said:

As for the PS3, I really wish Sony had gone with 1GB of RAM rather than stupid wifi or card readers. Would've made a noticeable difference.

If MS knew exactly how much the PS3 would have been for the first few years, I am sure they would have added more in.

diddlyD

Banned
PSGames said:
What I don't understand is why so much more though? Going from 512 to 1GB is accounting for a lot more than Debugging overhead. The PS3 for instance only has 256 more in it's dev kits. There may be some truth to that Natal console afterall.

it gives you a lot more flexibility early in development. sure you only need maybe 50 meg or so for debug information on an average 360 executable, but having more space allows you to load up all kinds of other helpful debugging doodads. also not having to worry about squeezing everything so tight when doing mock ups or early press builds is very convenient. many projects go 90% of their development cycle running way over budget on memory, until it gets to the end and it's time to squeeeeeeze it down to retail memory footprint size.

and the way ram is manufactured its logical to just double it. these dev kits all cost thousands of dollars so it's not like losing money on them is an issue.

SamBishop

Banned
Shurs said:
I thought this has been known since E3.

Since well before E3 (or at least devs have had access to it for a while before). I suspect this thread'll be closed down aaaany second now.

Honest mistake, but the fault is more in the original source than the OP.

Vorador

Banned
Miburou said:

XDR RAM was and still is pricey.

The fact that developers never had a well defined margin to load their tools on the system really doesn't make sense towards the final games actually taking advantage of the full system RAM, and it would have made all these bloated PS3 OS RAM arguments a lot more pointless. Are any of you sure the developers can never take advantage of the freed up RAM in any way? Or maybe the OS allocates the extra RAM to perform its tasks? Otherwise, that would have been such a blatant resource design flaw since the beginning and it doesn't make sense they waited nearly four years to solve it, as adding more RAM to a devkit should be relatively inexpensive and hardly a huge engineering problem. I would like some clarification.

That said, I remember Tomb Raider developers commenting that they were puzzled when they were hitting RAM limitations on 360 sooner than on PS3. Anything to do with this?

lherre

Accurate
Dexvex said:
yeah 360 devs should've had at least 1GB since 2005

X360 devs has 512 mb since 2005 until now. I have 2 of them and has 512 mb.

Ps3 test has the same amount or ram than a retail unit too (I has one too :D )

nubbe said:
I would be in a state of shock is a nextgen system didn't have 4GB ram

It's a little offtopic, but I'm sure of it, also.

The new multimedia capacities in this generation probably will force to have more memory to manage multiple process of the OS, like video recording, contacts management, ingame XMB, etc, without compromising the memory of the game.

onQ123

Sorry for the Bump but I'm a Jr & can't make new threads & this was the closes Thread I can find that had something to do with xbox development kits

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/05/xbox-development-kit-arrives-with-significantly-reduced-price/

xbox360-new-dev-kit.jpg

What's this, you ask? The next generation of Xbox 360 development, that's what. With a shockingly small amount of fanfare, Microsoft has ushered in a striking new Xbox Development Kit, which is purportedly designed to increase efficiency and reduce cost for Xbox 360 dev teams. Aside from boasting an undisclosed uptick in RAM, built-in flash memory, a more capacious hard drive and a slimmer form factor, this XDK will also be sold at a "significantly reduced price from its predecessor." 'Course, the folks in Redmond aren't saying what exactly that sticker will look like, but those interested in taking the plunge regardless will also have the option to license a Sidecar attachment that enables debugging and disc emulation. We're told that said accessory can be shared among multiple XDK consoles, and in turn, it should lower the overall price to create, test, debug, and release an Xbox 360 or Xbox Live Arcade game. It's still a guessing game when it comes to an actual launch date, but it'll become "the standard kit" when new orders are fulfilled in the future. Feel free to peruse the gallery below if you're interested, and toss out a wild guess as to what that Sidecar will go for on eBay during the next century. Aim high, bub!

Top Bottom