• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Emulator "Xenia" has been ported to UWP (Series S|X version available)

TLZ

Banned
The Wire Reaction GIF

PS3 next!

krumble

Was trying Xenia via steam deck the other day for Xmen origins wolverine as that's trapped in license hell and only available physically (which I have but my 360 isn't plugged in these days) but it wasn't playing nice with the shaders and either crashed if left on auto/dx12 or errored immediately under Vulcan, tried loads of different wine and proton versions but ultimately uninstalled in the end and went back to running the ps3 version of the game on deck via rpcs3 where it fluctuates between 26-45fps and had been annoying me, perhaps it's time to try the game via Xenia on my series x when I have time and there been a bit more development on the yep version of the emulator :)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does Orta run on Xenia (PC) since it was back compat on 360 (and it doesn't yet play nice with the Xbox emus) or nah?

stranno

Games I have tested:

Raiden 4 works.
Afro Samurai works.
The Saboteur works, but it is unplayable due massive stuttering. Other than that it looks fine and plays at proper framerate when stuttering finishes. I guess it is related to post-processing shader compilation, since Steam Deck has mostly the same issue.
Army of Two: The 40th Day crashes right away.
007 Blood Stone crashes at the profile screen.

I will update.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Games I have tested and work fine (a bit of stuttering here and there):

Raiden 4
Afro Samurai

I will update.

How is the emulator interface ? I'm away from my things for a couple of hours so cant check right now :(

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
does Forza Motorsport 4 work with this? I still have my X360 copy with the second disc and all.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Are Forza Horizon 1 and 2 playable on this on PC? After getting on to Forza Horizon on PC I always wanted to try out 1 and 2 for completeness sake.

For some reason my desire for emulation skips over xbox and the 360 generations completely. I think it's do to the best games of that era are still playable of current stuff but better. I go from replaying/emulating gamecube straight to wiiu and switch.

Last edited:

adamsapple

For some reason my desire for emulation skips over xbox and the 360 generations completely. I think it's do to the best games of that era are still playable of current stuff but better. I go from replaying/emulating gamecube straight to wiiu and switch.

While most of the cream is playable on modern Xbox (For 360 games at least), there are still some lapses in there.

Wet, Singularity etc.

edit: Topher Topher I really do post some gems, don't I ... lol

Last edited:

stranno

Saboteur.

Unfortunately it has big amounts of stuttering, it crashes when you interact with someone and when you travel at high speeds. So unplayable for now.

IIRC, this game has plain text files for configuration purposes, so maybe disabling post-effects should improve the stuttering.

Last edited:

stranno

Pure.

To be honest, I don't think it is worth trying right now. It's just WAAAAAY to unstable. It seems to have a big memory leak while building the cache that makes any game crash soon or later. And the shader compilation stutter is a big issue here.

Hope this can be improved, because other than the stability and the stuttering, games just work at proper framerate. There seems to be more than enough computing power.

Reactions: TLZ

Quasicat

Outrun and TMNT Reshelled crash out and don’t load. I have a few others I need to try, and these things update all of the time.

DaGwaphics

I figured the OG Xbox would come before 360, but this will make it possible to play the stuff that did not carry over to Backward Compatibility…like Outrun.

I guess if someone could figure out how to get the OG Xbox emulator from 360 running inside this Xbox 360 emulator, almost all the OG Xbox games would be playable (if you edited the accepted title list manually it ran almost everything perfectly). :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

RedC

Something to note regarding Xenia:
This is a VERY early build (version 0.1.0) and mostly a proof of concept so it's expected for games to crash, we're also aware that any games which make use of the Xbox 360 UI for anything are known to be broken but that'll be fixed soon, thank you.

adamsapple

Hoping the developers keep working on this. Far from perfect but it's a fantastic first step.

Top Bottom