• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 finally quiets down...

bloke

...with brand new internal DVD drive. Hope not old.

It's no secret that the Xbox 360's disc drive is hella noisy, by far outstripping any incidental fan noises that might be going on inside that white box. Luckily, help is on the way -- sort of. Microsoft has started building its 360s with a new DVD drive manufactured by BenQ-LiteOn-Philips, the BenQ VAD6038, which purportedly runs "super-quiet" in comparison to the previous two drives used by MS, and even speeds up and smooths out load times. Of course, this does nothing for the 10 million plus current owners of Xbox 360s suffering from the noisy insanity of the older drives, but it does mean that as Microsoft ramps up production with this new drive, your next 360 hopefully won't fall victim to the whir.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/06/xbox-360-finally-quiets-down-with-brand-new-internal-dvd-drive/

Picture013.jpg

Picture011.jpg

JdFoX187

Banned
Never have noticed any noise coming from my launch 360. Guess it's because I have my stereo on usually and I'm more interested in the game than the noise around me.

bumpkin

In theory, I'll be all set should my 360 shit the bed. I've got one of those replacement plans through Best Buy; it dies, I get a new one... I'll just have to hope I get one of the updated models.

Of course I'd much rather avoid the whole ordeal if at all possible. I've gotten used to loud drives thanks to the Dreamcast.

Wollan

ChrisAllenFiz said:
If you owned a 360 you would know that the DVD drive makes most of the noise in a 360.

I own one (stood in line at launch). I just assumed it was the combination of the two fans and the disc drive. I mean, they shut the second fan off when watching movies to try to quiet the damn thing.

Wollan said:
I own one (stood in line at launch). I just assumed it was the combination of the two fans and the disc drive. I mean, they shut the second fan of when watching movies to quiet the damn thing.

Having opened one up, I can tell you that the DVD drive is by far the noisiest component.

hadareud

The Translator
this is excellent news, I'm sure they're gonna start using it in the 65nm version later this year.

That's the news I've been waiting for, I shall get one as soon as it's released. I wonder how much I'll get for my launch 360 by then.

Wollan said:
I own one (stood in line at launch). I just assumed it was the combination of the two fans and the disc drive. I mean, they shut the second fan of when watching movies to try to quiet the damn thing.

Playing a demo gives a good indication of the noice the fans make. When the drive isn't working, the console isn't very loud.

pr0cs

I hope someone has time to demo an old drive vs the new one to see how much difference it will make.

Wollan said:
I own one (stood in line at launch). I just assumed it was the combination of the two fans and the disc drive. I mean, they shut the second fan of when watching movies to try to quiet the damn thing.

Again, it's the drive spin. I'm pretty sure 360 games are running a lot faster than everything else on the system. Check out how quiet the 360 is when you put in a BC Xbox game or playing something off the hard drive.

Google

JdFoX187 said:
Never have noticed any noise coming from my launch 360. Guess it's because I have my stereo on usually and I'm more interested in the game than the noise around me.

Come on now.

Its not exactly an issue, but it is ****ing loud!

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Wollan said:
I own one (stood in line at launch). I just assumed it was the combination of the two fans and the disc drive. I mean, they shut the second fan off when watching movies to try to quiet the damn thing.

Have you ever played an XBL arcade game on it? A downloaded game demo? Jeez, this is something that every xbox360 owner knows intuitively just by using the thing - its the damn DVD drive that sounds like a jet engine taking off when you're using it. Hell, my Wii is just as loud as the 360 when the DVD drive isn't spinning.

JdFoX187

Banned
Google said:
Come on now.

Its not exactly an issue, but it is ****ing loud!
I really haven't noticed it. Or if I have, I just really haven't paid much attention. This is good news nonetheless.

hadareud

The Translator
Unbiased Basturd said:
That the doesn't solve the ring of death problem. Bravo Microsoft.

When will they take care of that chipset and overheating issue??
is there still an issue, apart from machines built in the first few months?

Regardless, as discussed before on various occasions on this very forum, microsoft is switching to a 65nm process at some point this year - so overheating issues should be gone sooner or later. And what do you know, I have a feeling that this will coincide with the new dvd drive.

f@luS

More than a member.
hadareud said:

Regardless, as discussed before on various occasions on this very forum, microsoft is switching to a 65nm process at some point this year - so overheating issues should be gone sooner or later. And what do you know, I have a feeling that this will coincide with the new dvd drive.

Its the V2 ! Its coming !

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
The fan was never the culprit. It's the drive spin noise that makes it insanely loud.

In between matches of Gears, I went downstairs to get a drink and I could hear that bastard spinning over the hum of my fridge.

Ragnarok10

It's no secret that the Xbox 360's disc drive is hella noisy, by far outstripping any incidental fan noises that might be going on inside that white box. Luckily, help is on the way -- sort of. Microsoft has started building its 360s with a new DVD drive manufactured by BenQ-LiteOn-Philips, the BenQ VAD6038, which purportedly runs "super-quiet" in comparison to the previous two drives used by MS, and even speeds up and smooths out load times. Of course, this does nothing for the 10 million plus current owners of Xbox 360s suffering from the noisy insanity of the older drives, but it does mean that as Microsoft ramps up production with this new drive, your next 360 hopefully won't fall victim to the whir.

...next 360?

Unbiased Basturd said:
That the doesn't solve the ring of death problem. Bravo Microsoft.

When will they take care of that chipset and overheating issue??

Actually there have been a couple of modifications to try to solve the 3 red lights. How successful they have been is a matter of conjecture.

hadareud said:

ALL my friends that have a Xbox360 (there are like 5-6) are ALL at their third of fourth machine... Seems like the issue is still there. I'm gonna buy a 360 when the anecdotal evidence of defective unit will disappear or look like the PS3 and Wii.

Unbiased Basturd said:
ALL my friends that have a Xbox360 (there are like 5-6) are ALL at their third of fourth machine... Seems like the issue is still there. I'm gonna buy a 360 when the anecdotal evidence of defective unit will disappear or look like the PS3 and Wii.

5 or 6 people all on their 4th machine. Jeez you have some unlucky friends.

hadareud

The Translator
Unbiased Basturd said:
I think that's more to do with how Microsoft is repairing this consoles - from rumours they are just refurbishing the launch units with parts from other launch units. Who knows. The important thing is that this should sort itself out either way.

PhatSaqs

Banned
The fan was never the culprit. It's the drive spin noise that makes it insanely loud.
If you owned a 360 you would know that the DVD drive makes most of the noise in a 360.
Playing a demo gives a good indication of the noice the fans make. When the drive isn't working, the console isn't very loud.
Have you ever played an XBL arcade game on it? A downloaded game demo? Jeez, this is something that every xbox360 owner knows intuitively just by using the thing...
2213500297bp1.gif

bill0527

bumpkin said:
In theory, I'll be all set should my 360 shit the bed. I've got one of those replacement plans through Best Buy; it dies, I get a new one... I'll just have to hope I get one of the updated models.

Of course I'd much rather avoid the whole ordeal if at all possible. I've gotten used to loud drives thanks to the Dreamcast.

I will no longer buy a launch system without a replacement plan where I can just walk into a retail store and exchange it for a new one on the spot.

I f'd up and bought Microsoft's extended warranty which is a joke. I've been waiting now 7 days for my coffin to arrive and they told me that once they receive the broken unit it could take another 14 business days before I receive my replacement. And lets just say that after the horror stories I've heard of people being stuck in refurb replacement hell, I'm not expecting to see a working 360 in my house again until some time in March. I also have no confidence that my replacement unit will be a good one that will last a while.

Maybe my 360 has some strange problem, but while it's slightly quieter without a disc in, even while playing XBLA games it sounds like a 747 landing.

ChrisAllenFiz said:
5 or 6 people all on their 4th machine. Jeez you have some unlucky friends.

Well, i'm telling you about the worse there. I know more people that owned a 360 and did need to replace it. Just the need to replace it once is not supposed to happen already. We are too kind with Microsoft, i wonder where are the class action lawsuits.
I'm there since the Atari 2600 and i always hang out with gamers. I've never witnessed that many defects. Even the PS2 and Xbox doesn't even come close in my experience.
Normally i'm a lucky ass (never got any defective consoles) but i'm yet to take the risk with the 360, i can't trust it right now.

kiUNiT

Unbiased Basturd said:
Well, i'm telling you about the worse there. I know more people that owned a 360 and did need to replace it. Just the need to replace it once is not supposed to happen already. We are too kind with Microsoft, i wonder where are the class action lawsuits.
I'm there since the Atari 2600 and i always hang out with gamers. I've never witnessed that many defects. Even the PS2 and Xbox doesn't even come close in my experience.
Normally i'm a lucky ass (never got any defective consoles) but i'm yet to take the risk with the 360, i can't trust it right now.

You can't trust what? you have at least 95% chance of having a reliable 360 and a 100% chance of MS replacing it if something happens. Your missing out on some great gaming in the meatime. But if you are worried then wait for the new version, thats what Iam going to do with the PS3 since they announced the 65nm versions are coming soon.

Top Bottom