• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 finally quiets down...

pr0cs said:
They'll never do it, never in a million years. It would be like admitting there is a manufacturing problem with earlier units and Microsoft would be class action sued out the ying yang.

Most of the people who are on the fence in buying the system probably weren't ever very interested in buying the system to begin with, manufacturing problems or otherwise.

Kinda like when Sony released the quieted down original model PS2 as the PS2+ right?

There will be some way to tell if you're getting a quiet 360, whether there be some minor difference with the box or you might just have to judge by model number.

pr0cs

The Mighty Schwein said:
Kinda like when Sony released the quieted down original model PS2 as the PS2+ right?

How long was the PS2 out before the revamped model came out?
What sort of marketting was done to purposely state "this is the superior model"?

Microsoft already has 2 SKUs and got hammered by a number of places for "confusing" the consumers. Now you expect them to make a third potential SKU whos function is identical to the other SKUS but is only more quiet. Sorry but you're dreaming friend.
The packaging isn't going to change either just because one part of an already complicated piece of kit changed. It didn't for the Samsung/Hitachi drives, it won't for the BenQ drives either.

manngc

Haleon said:
That's a little bit different. On the Xbox and the 360, a certain portion of the harddrive is set aside for caching. After the game is ejected from the tray, that cache is removed. Each game has the same amount of cache to work with, so they can utilize that space however they see fit and not have to worry about competing for resources with other installed games.

If you have Doom 3, give this a shot, put in the game and start it up. It'll take a good 4-5 minutes to start up. Then quit out, turn off your Xbox, and restart it with the game still in the tray. This time it will take 1-2 minutes.
That's no exactly true. The Xbox will keep about 1-3 games in cache. Certain games clear the cache, and some don't. It has nothing to do with if the game is in the tray, only if the next game clears the cache.

Ravidrath

What're the deets on the Best Buy extended warranty, these days? I heard they changed them somewhat...? It's been a while since I got one of these.

I don't have a 360 yet, but was considering getting one after this news, but with the new 65 nm machines coming (which I would expect have other benefits) I was thinking about going the BB extended route.

And, yeah, I'm curious what people do about the HDDs on these returns. I guess I could get one of those 360 PC bridges and just back up my old one before returning it.

Top Bottom