• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Achievement idea (track game completions on default settings)

VAL0R

Banned
Have devs determine a "game complete" status for each game. This might typically be playing the game from start through finish on "normal" difficulty, but could change with genre or developer preference. Once this goal is met, the achievement system recognizes the game as a "Completed Game." Completed Games are visually rendered as stars in your achievement profile, for example, to differentiate this tally from Gamerscore. Completed Games are not "achievements," but are part of a separate tracking system that runs parallel with achievements. So a dev could elect to have a "game complete" status be finishing the game on the normal setting and reward an achievement that adds to your Gamerscore for the same accomplishment.

I think it would be satisfying to scroll trough my list of games, seeing which ones I have yet to "complete" or how many I have "completed" in a certain series, for example. There are a number of games where you might only have a few achievement points earned but have still earned your completion star by solving it on default settings, etc. Also, it would tell you a lot about a friend's gaming habits as you scrolled through their games and looked at which ones were starred.

A subtle but cool change. What do you think?

My MS Paint mockup below:
2zi07s8.jpg

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I agree with your sentiments OP, but relying on the devs to determine this is a recipe for failure. I would imagine that 99% or more of games would simply default to "Earn all the achievements" as it's completion point, essentially making Xbox stars the same thing as Playstation Network platinum trophies. There would be no consistency applied, no quality assurance from Microsoft, which means it would lead to more "I beat the game and didn't get the star" type support calls. Hence, disaster.

VAL0R

Banned
I agree with your sentiments OP, but relying on the devs to determine this is a recipe for failure. I would imagine that 99% or more of games would simply default to "Earn all the achievements" as it's completion point, essentially making Xbox stars the same thing as Playstation Network platinum trophies. There would be no consistency applied, no quality assurance from Microsoft, which means it would lead to more "I beat the game and didn't get the star" type support calls. Hence, disaster.
Hmm. Maybe MS mandates something like, "game gets completion star when it's completed on default (or user voluntarily increased difficulty) settings (or the nearest possible state of affairs if the game is non-traditional) and cannot be tied to earning achievements in any way."

But good point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom