• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox adds option to increase download speeds by suspending game

DonJorginho

Banned

Microsoft has added a new "suspend my game" feature to the Xbox download queue screen. Selecting it will "help improve download speeds".

The option is appearing now on Xbox Series X/S and Xbox One consoles for those signed up to Xbox's Insider program, which unlocks new dashboard features early.

"Suspend in the queue will let you download at full speed while making sure your game remains resumable (or quick resume-able on Series X|S)," Xbox engineering lead Eden Marie wrote on Twitter.

Why might you not get a full download speed with a game running? Xbox keeps a portion of your connection reserved for any potential online connectivity, which quitting or suspending games will then unlock.

Another recent change: you can now see banners highlighting new games for Xbox Game Pass and those leaving the subscription soon when browsing your library. Handy!

4vxp8xu0q3661.png

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's still shit that even on XSX my 1gbps connection is limited to 40mbps when play game, at least make it a 100mbps or something like that. Normally I am downloading at around 500-600mbps, but when playing game, it just fucking crawls...

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's still shit that even on XSX my 1gbps connection is limited to 40mbps when play game, at least make it a 100mbps or something like that. Normally I am downloading at around 500-600mbps, but when playing game, it just fucking crawls...
Just curious how you are measuring speed in-game?

Concern

This is nice. But I always felt this was the case whrn downloading something. If you're playing a game, especially online. Downloads are significantly slower. Unless somehow its even faster now when suspending.

DonJorginho

Banned
This is nice. But I always felt this was the case whrn downloading something. If you're playing a game, especially online. Downloads are significantly slower. Unless somehow its even faster now when suspending.
I think this is just streamlining that fact to more casual customers, either way a welcome addition!

reinking

Gold Member
Thread bump.

What are expected download speeds over wired connection for Series X? I am currently getting 300Mbps max (typically closer to 220). I tested the same port/cable with PC and get over 930Mbps. This is without a game launched. Seems rather slow in my case but I am not sure what expectations should be since I have previously had shit internet before this month. I might just go back to wireless in and move the console back to the other room. Not much difference in my case.

Rob_27

I don't remember download slow while playing a game on the one x... I must have missed that. It was downloading at 200mb while I was playing a game...?

RaZoR No1

Thread bump.

What are expected download speeds over wired connection for Series X? I am currently getting 300Mbps max (typically closer to 220). I tested the same port/cable with PC and get over 930Mbps. This is without a game launched. Seems rather slow in my case but I am not sure what expectations should be since I have previously had shit internet before this month. I might just go back to wireless in and move the console back to the other room. Not much difference in my case.
I have the same issue..
rarely dl speed is around 400-500 mbps.
MS is probably limiting the speeds so we dont overload the servers...
No difference between all of Xbox One / Series consoles

Even the speedtest on the consoles show the rral speed of around 1 gbps..

Edit: Rob_27 Rob_27
Xbox always limits the DL speed to 20-30 mbps, if a game is on / played in the background.
closing it manually will give back the normal speed

Last edited:

Banned

this is due to storage not download speeds.

the storage would be compromised if it needs to read and write at high speeds at the same time

M1chl

this is due to storage not download speeds.

the storage would be compromised if it needs to read and write at high speeds at the same time
I don't think this is an issue for SSD honestly. With magnetic disc, yes I can see that.

Download speeds so far for my PS5 and Series X have been pretty good...Only times I had issues was downloading Ghosts of Tsushima to my 5, and downloading Valhalla to the series x..but for the most part they been flying.

Max_Po

Banned
I get 600mbps to 900 mbps on both ps5 and xsx ..
If I am playing a game on either the downloads are much slower especially on X ...20 to 25 mbps.....

Banned
I don't think this is an issue for SSD honestly. With magnetic disc, yes I can see that.

I think it's worse because of the SSD. they give developers a guaranteed minimum speed the SSD always can deliver. they didn't really do that last gen since you could play games on any old HDD you hook up through usb

Game suspended. Look at that download go.
Without that little button my downloads just snail away.
Sigh 2021 many have Gigabit internet and it's just not possible to juggle games, downloads, netflix at full speed. Just can't be done. Imposibruu. Your talking crazy.

M1chl

Thread bump.

I think, if you have gamepass try to download something from MS store, it should be around the same. At least it's like that with me, I am downloading around 500Mbps on Fiber 1Gbps

ManaByte

I think it's worse because of the SSD. they give developers a guaranteed minimum speed the SSD always can deliver. they didn't really do that last gen since you could play games on any old HDD you hook up through usb

Except this speed throttling applies even if you're installing the game on an external HDD.

Banned
Except this speed throttling applies even if you're installing the game on an external HDD.

yes, I don't think the OS differentiates here. maybe that's something they can look into.

what it also could be is CPU restrictions. downloading (often also decompressing) data while also running a game can be an issue. maybe Microsoft gave games as much CPU time as possible and background tasks like downloading and unpacking game data is heavily throttled because of that.
so it can be a multitute of reasons why Microsoft is throttling as much as they do. but I bet it has almost nothing to do with your actual connection.

Last edited:

vkbest

It’s a CPU thing, on PS5 you are not capped on bandwitch while you are playing, but only one game is downloading. PS4 had a ARM cpu to download and you could have 2 simultaneous games or patches downloading. Probably they overestimated the power of new CPU, and don’t put additional ARM chip again

JLB

Banned
I have the same issue..
rarely dl speed is around 400-500 mbps.
MS is probably limiting the speeds so we dont overload the servers...
No difference between all of Xbox One / Series consoles

Even the speedtest on the consoles show the rral speed of around 1 gbps..

Edit: Rob_27 Rob_27
Xbox always limits the DL speed to 20-30 mbps, if a game is on / played in the background.
closing it manually will give back the normal speed
not true, im getting 55-65 most of the time

Have no problems on ps5, have 1 gigabit speed and yo downloads are crazy fast even with a game open im sor surprised.
Ps4 was not as good.

Top Bottom