• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be more interested in an Xbox console if it offered a duel windows/series s OS options?

actually I’d rather see an option to switch my pc into a console mode. Would make playing on my tv easier, especially if it could boot right into the console interface.

Then I could also play games at higher graphics and performance settings, without losing the convenience of console play.

Topher

Gold Member
Makes no difference being an APU. Laptops and some handheld PCs uses APU and you can install Windows.

Plenty of desktop PCs out there as well these days. Minis Forum sells a bunch. Plenty others like this on amazon as well.

ffdc3efe89e4e4731e97a3a5fcc7302959cef1.png

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Even less so.
If I wanted pc .... pc exists.
But it could be a very cheap pc, so sure, whatever

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox isnt about selling xboxes or hardware, its about selling games, dual os would be dumb as hell for them.

They could sell 100m+ units if they really wanted to, all they would have to do is put ms office on there and series s/x would sell 100m+ in a single year (if they could produce that many).
I and likely many others would buy an xbox if it could run office, just excel alone would be enough. But they are in a bussiness of selling games and not consoles.

Easily. It is a full fledge compact PC for $500. Problem is at that point there is no games to subsidize the thing so MS would have to make money off the hardware. $500 suddenly becomes $1000 just to be worth the effort. Ain't quite as appealing to consumers then and so isn't that a good deal for either consumers or MS.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

No.

Instead they should focus their energy on adding more backwards compatible games. Stopping that was stupid.

Last edited:

Jesb

I’m not really sure what Microsoft can do to sell their consoles. Being the best hardware isn’t gonna do it, gamepass isn’t doing it, not sure there’s anything they can really do to be better than the other guys.

buenoblue

I've been saying this in various threads lately. People always say they take a loss on hardware why would they. Well Microsoft seem ok taking losses with Xbox brand anyway🤷‍♂️.

A fully functional windows gaming PC with Xbox game support for £500 would fly of the shelves and would immediately inprove Xbox mindshare and enthusiasm.

Plus if they really are all about gamepass subs, selling more boxes to people who will probably subscribe is a win.

It would be huge if they did this

Last edited:

odhiex

I think the opposite, I want every Windows (probably the next iteration) has the XBOX UI and functionality.

I feel like we are slowly getting there.

How many people bought a PS3 for Linux?

It will attract a very small niche but will do nothing for the masses.

Not a real argument IMO. Linux was SUPER niche back in the '00s, and still is today, though less so. And most of its popularity outside of academia is thanks to Valve's work with getting Windows games compatible on Linux.

Windows was arguably at its height during the first half of the '00s, until Vista came and derailed things, and the iPhone made once-PC users switch to smartphones en masse. But it's still by far the most popular non-mobile OS for the average consumer and has about 70% marketshare in the PC space.

To think an Xbox that offers Windows dual-booting would have the same minimal appeal as a PS3 that offered Other OS with Linux is kind of ridiculous. In truth, more full-blown Windows support may be one of the only things Microsoft can do to offer genuine value to Xbox that differentiates it against PlayStation, but that would necessitate a suite of changes for the business model from the top on down.

Changes I don't think higher-ups at Microsoft have any problem with making, BTW. It's probably been Phil Spencer himself blocking them from doing it sooner.

You want them to take a loss on the hardware so that people can get a cheap Steam PC? What’s the upside for Microsoft again?

It’s up to Valve to give Steam machines another shot if they want to, as they would be the primary beneficiary of a cheap PC box.

Valve don't have the resource or financial capacity, nor the years of experience as a hardware manufacturer in console, that Microsoft does. Microsoft can leverage their console know-how and transfer that to a new business model that positions Xbox more like a PC gaming device supporting Windows.

Besides Valve wants to move gamers off of Windows and to Steam/Linux, so it's actually in Microsoft's better interests to align Xbox and Windows as tightly coupled as possible.

Xbox isnt about selling xboxes or hardware, its about selling games, dual os would be dumb as hell for them.

It's not really about selling games, either. It's about getting revenue and increasing profit margins. Initiatives like Game Pass already show Microsoft don't 100% believe selling games (the B2P model) is the only way to achieve such.

Even if it is, their increasingly multi-console support shows they also feel, they don't need to rely on Xbox consoles as they currently are (which IMO includes acting as a traditional console business model-wise). Games like Minecraft sell much better on Nintendo and PlayStation than they do on Xbox, Microsoft's own console. And if their intent was to just sell games, they would've stuck to releasing stuff like Starfield on PS5 where they figured 10 million copies could be sold (in addition to whatever they've already sold on PC and Xbox).

"Dual OS" in and of itself might be a bit of a stretch, but "Dual UI" might be a better way to look at it. Basically it's one OS in two different configs (Desktop and Console) both using the same underlying kernel, that users can switch between at anytime, enabling or disabling various system services & utilities where appropriate. But the OS in this case would be Windows. Xbox already uses a lot of parts of the Windows kernel and an OS that can be considered a Windows variant; context-switching the UI is already something Windows 10 2-in-1 devices can do.

I know this idea for Xbox isn't popular with some folks but when you actually stop and think it out, it has significantly more upsides than downsides for Microsoft Gaming as a whole and, at this point, it's really about Microsoft Gaming. Not just Xbox, that's only a subsect of Microsoft Gaming these days.

They could sell 100m+ units if they really wanted to, all they would have to do is put ms office on there and series s/x would sell 100m+ in a single year (if they could produce that many).
I and likely many others would buy an xbox if it could run office, just excel alone would be enough. But they are in a bussiness of selling games and not consoles.

No. Again, they're in the business of selling gaming content for revenue and profits. They don't really care which way it is, as long as they get the results they want. That's why Game Pass exists. It's why they publish multiple games on competing consoles. It's why they want to open up their own mobile store. It's why they do all of these things, some of which can be considered cannibalizing to Xbox as a console in itself, at the same time.

While I think you're greatly overselling how many Xboxes MS could sell by making it dual-boot into Windows (or more likely, just make it a fully Windows gaming device altogether with different UI environments for console-like gaming and a more typical Windows desktop), partly because I think any such shift would result in less Xboxes made not more (but at higher prices with real profit margins on the hardware itself), I'd say opening it up to those Windows features would bring a lot of value proposition to the system.

It would require massive restructuring of the business model however, which takes time. That said it's something I'm almost certain Microsoft have been considering doing for a while now, internally. We'll see if they commit to it in the future or not.

Last edited:

twilo99

The series x would make a very good budget PC with some mid to low end gaming

You can't run native Win on Xbox (yet) but you can run Win 365 on it at least (for what it's worth).

Yeah... MS allows you to do some crazy stuff with a good internet connection

Jayjayhd34

No one gives a shit about Windows OS in fact, more people despise it.

Yep it just has 70 percent of market because everyone despises it.

Seriously don't see point it would attract a few thousand people. If there was any demand for it Modders would probably off done it. Heck I reckon there probably some guy out with running it but just doesn't release so it doesn't get patched remember how quick you got banned in the 360 days, and so little would take use of it so they keep it to himself

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I'm Talking performance wise, no point in having a laptop APU, if they sell a PC/Xbox hardware with actual desktop hardware
They don't sell Xbox hardware with actual desktop hardware, so you will get the APU performance to run gazillions of PC games, emulators, mods, whatever controller you want, etc, etc just like any laptop and handheld pc.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
They don't sell Xbox hardware with actual desktop hardware, so you will get the APU performance to run gazillions of PC games, emulators, mods, whatever controller you want, etc, etc just like any laptop and handheld pc.
From the title i was thinking Xbox would offer a new hybrid PC/Xbox console
just that it would be better if it had desktop hardware, but with current hw yeah they can

Yep it just has 70 percent of market because everyone despises it.

Seriously don't see point it would attract a few thousand people. If there was any demand for it Modders would probably off done it. Heck I reckon there probably some guy out with running it but just doesn't release so it doesn't get patched remember how quick you got banned in the 360 days, and so little would take use of it so they keep it to themselves
I mean, is a legacy OS that business have been build on top of it.

Xbox is entertainment and Windows is enterprise.

They tried to unify their UX with the metro UI (Windows 8, Mobile and Xbone)....was a total disaster.

Jayjayhd34

I mean, is a legacy OS that business have been build on top of it.

Xbox is entertainment and Windows is enterprise.

They tried to unify their UX with the metro UI (Windows 8, Mobile and Xbone)....was a total disaster.
That's because Windows was Microsoft only real success. They've literally bought one of most renowned developers (Bethesda) and they couldn't even get that right. Its almost like they are intenitally doing this stuff though. if everyone on fourms twitter etc can say with near 100 accuracy know they couldn't take over mobile market then why is no one in the company speaking up. Going back one reveal an average Joe could tell yoy back then world wasn't ready for an always online console and gamers wouldnr accept they couldn't sell there own games Microsoft decision making is massively flawed

Last edited:
That's because Windows was Microsoft only real success. They've literally bought one of most renowned developers (Bethesda) and they couldn't even get that right. Its almost like they are intenitally doing this stuff though. if everyone on fourms twitter etc can say with near 100 accuracy know they couldn't take over mobile market then why is no one in the company speaking up. Going back one reveal an average Joe could tell yoy back then world wasn't ready for an always online console and gamers where accept they couldn't sell there own games Microsoft decision making is massively flawed
Yep, that's right. Steve Jobs keeps being right

Stuart360

If Series X could run Windows, like actual desktop windows, with everything working, Steam etc, i'd probably buy a XSX for my bedroom, or back up PC.
In fact thats probably the only way i would ever buy a console again after going PC only.

Drew1440

I'd be more interested in an Xbox console that was seamless with PC. Like if I was to buy a game on the Series S/X, I could also download it on PC and it would offer cross-progression. I know Game Pass tries to offer a similar service with Play Anywhere, but there isn't a function in place for digitally purchased games. If I wanted the windows experience in the living room, there are alternative ways of doing that.
Play Anyware did work for purchased games, Gears Of War 4 was one such example.

Pidull

if they introduced this as part of the series x or a pivot away from what they consider their Xbox Hardware as far as a console, should be able to.

If on boot you had the option of the console ui as we know it, buy games, games pass, friends lists, achivments etc.

But alternatively they offered you the full windows experience,

I’d personably would love a box like that, Xbox and pc experience in one box. I think people buy them and use the Xbox side for game pass/ back cat and the windows side for steam games/emulation/ usual pc stuff.

This is not a console war thread but I’m just wondering if you think the market would take to such a concept?

Edit by “series s boot options” on title I just meant the series os in general and not specifically the s.
If Microsoft offered me a full Microsoft All Access for $30/month that included game pass, some sort of bare bones streaming video, Windows, and Office products, I'd probably pay for it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
How many people bought a PS3 for Linux?

It will attract a very small niche but will do nothing for the masses.
I bought a PS3 for Linux. You had access to 6 of the 7 SPE's and it was fun to tinker with the multi-core, distributed memory architecture (even though it was limited and you couldn't access the RSX). I was sad when my launch 60 GB got YLOD and Sony replaced it with a slim that already had other OS capability patched out.

Anyway, there's not much appeal for me in having Windows on an Xbox. Since it's all AMD x86_64 anyway there's nothing I could do on it that I couldn't do on my Windows laptop.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
...but can you run Windows 386 on it?

(Timestamped to the part where the drugs really kick in. This is consistent with my theory that Microsoft's marketing department has been on crack for decades.)

wtf did i just watch lol

Last edited:

nowhat

wtf did i just watch lol

This is a real marketing video or a parody?
No, it's 100% real. From way back. But as I said, it's MS marketing department being on crack. We can argue about Xbox branding across generations (which is a whole another topic), but as a more recent example, the official MS marketing said transferring songs wirelessly between Zunes is "squirting". I guess they didn't google it.

...or maybe they bing'd it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No, it's 100% real. From way back. But as I said, it's MS marketing department being on crack. We can argue about Xbox branding across generations (which is a whole another topic), but as a more recent example, the official MS marketing said transferring songs wirelessly between Zunes is "squirting". I guess they didn't google it.

...or maybe they bing'd it.

eses6vyot29c1.png

You Got Me Lol GIF by BrownSugarApp

Tell us all about your Edging, GAF.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
You want them to take a loss on the hardware so that people can get a cheap Steam PC? What’s the upside for Microsoft again?

It’s up to Valve to give Steam machines another shot if they want to, as they would be the primary beneficiary of a cheap PC box.
Doesn’t have to support steam or outside stuff Microsoft can lock all pc apps to the Microsoft store which would help them get that storefront activte and allow curated pc stuff

Fredrik

How about just running a big screen Windows mode?
Steam on Xbox would be awesome. It’s already great on Steam Deck which is much weaker.

chilichote

I would like to do that with my XBox One, which has been collecting dust here for years^^

But yes, a not too expensive but quite powerful PC (like the Series X) with which I can play XBox games? Would appeal to me more than an XBox alone. But the question is, why? The games are already on the PC anyway.

Jayjayhd34

I seriously only use Edge on desktop now. Bing Rewards + Microsoft Cashback, it's also basically just Chrome but without the bloat killing your RAM.

How is this problem today can't imagine many people having less than 16gb in this day an age

Last edited:

00_Zer0

if they introduced this as part of the series x or a pivot away from what they consider their Xbox Hardware as far as a console, should be able to.

If on boot you had the option of the console ui as we know it, buy games, games pass, friends lists, achivments etc.

But alternatively they offered you the full windows experience,

I’d personably would love a box like that, Xbox and pc experience in one box. I think people buy them and use the Xbox side for game pass/ back cat and the windows side for steam games/emulation/ usual pc stuff.

This is not a console war thread but I’m just wondering if you think the market would take to such a concept?

Edit by “series s boot options” on title I just meant the series os in general and not specifically the s.
Traditional console gaming is practically dead now. There is no value of owning a PS5 or XSX for me in this day and age when most games wind up on PC.

I am a PC and Switch only gamer. Between PS5 and XBox serving practically the same market I would rather just keep gaming on PC and continue getting those precious Nintendo exclusives that I crave. I would not enjoy a rigid hardware design with no possible upgrades for PC gaming either.

Also, Windows 11 is trash and I do not look forward to whatever scheme MS comes up with next to screw over their end users. I am going to try my hardest in 2024 to offload most of my PC gaming through the Steam OS(wish Valve would release an official desktop version soon). The oddball game here or there that I can't play through Steam OS will have to be played through Windows 11.

RickMasters

I’m not really sure what Microsoft can do to sell their consoles. Being the best hardware isn’t gonna do it, gamepass isn’t doing it, not sure there’s anything they can really do to be better than the other guys.
Time, commitment and consistency. the problem they created for xbox wont be fixed overnight but over the course of years...with time, commitment and consistency of quality.

Top Bottom