• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox announces "monumental launch" for Halo Reach on both PC and XBO, with nearly 3m players during launch week

Mattyp

Gold Member
Halo_TMCC_Reach_KeyArt_Horiz_Fina1.jpg

The long-awaited debut of Halo: The Master Chief Collection (MCC) on PC was worth the wait, thanks to the amazing Halo community as well as a host of all-new players experiencing the Halo universe for the very first time. The release of Halo: Reach in MCC on both PC and Xbox One on December 3 led to a monumental launch for the Halo franchise, with record numbers including:
  • Nearly 3 million players of MCC on PC and Xbox One during launch week
  • #1 top-selling game on Steam during launch week and the highest-ranking debut for an Xbox Game Studios title on Steam
  • #1 most-watched game on Twitch during launch day
When fans haven’t been playing MCC, they’ve been watching, viewing nearly 3 million hours of Halo streams during launch week, pushing MCC into the #1 most-watched position on Twitch during launch day.

PC players and media have taken notice of Halo’s return on PC, with MCC rated “Very Positive” across more than 35k Steam Customer Reviews

We did it lads, we beat the 100k estimate on Neogaf. Can't wait to see the launch of Halo 1.

Wow.. Reach used to be my least favorite Halo game until I played Halo 4/5.... Good grief this game is a masterpiece compared to those previous abominations. Halo 1-3 is love

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Halo game withous split screen... What a joke. We waited to finally play 4k 60fps halo split screen and its not there. Limit it to controllers only or whatever but why its not there

RPS37

The fact that I can play reach multi without buying reach for mcc on xbone is kinda dope.

Last edited:
Cool, now fix the sound, get the framerate workable over 60fps, and fix the crouch issue for KB/M. I'd ask them to revert the menus and unlocks to their original layouts but I don't want them to take another year to patch the main issues.

Seriously I love playing Reach again, and it's great that it's finally on PC, but they really need to get their shit together.

Graciaus

It's to bad reach uses the title update instead of vanilla for most of the online. I remember now why I quit playing.

Mattyp

Gold Member
So what is the breakdown? Ratio on pc vs Xbox?

We'll another thread said what 2 million roughly stream sales approx? So rest on xbox, doubt many new copies where sold on xbox, as everyone already owned MCC for multi and I don't know anyone who doesn't have gamepass for single player.

SLB1904

Banned
We'll another thread said what 2 million roughly stream sales approx? So rest on xbox, doubt many new copies where sold on xbox, as everyone already owned MCC for multi and I don't know anyone who doesn't have gamepass for single player.
Between 1 to 2 millions not 2 millions sold. Also steampy is not reliable.
I would be nice if they could give us numbers tho.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
nice, downloaded the MCC again, played a match and then deleted it...

Sad to hear you didn't enjoy mcc reach. Also glad you didn't pre order Sea of Thieves. And a shame you didn't enjoy forza horizon either.

At least you completed spider man three times, and days gone and The Horizon 2 times, so at least there are some good games for you right there.

They just need to have the right publisher of course.

Last edited:
You mean Bungie's Halo selling well?
Shocked.
I don't think Halo 4 would get as much recognition but Halo 5's multiplayer was on point. While that may not be a popular opinion, I enjoyed it and it brought me back after Halo 4's. I did however like the campaign of Halo 4, but not so much Halo 5. Hopefully Halo Infinite is top notch through and through. I did notice that a lot of my Halo reach frustrations are still apparent, but it's still a fun game.

Last edited:
This is great. All the "halo is dead" fanboys are quiet now lol.

But tbh this is just reminder of how bungie was much greater than 343 will ever be (although I'd like to be proven wrong... but i doubt it).

This release kind of did that. Reach is still a great game and it holds up really well, it's just all the stuff that 343 changed for this release either isn't working properly or makes absolutely no sense like the unlock system, the m/kb issues, the 4K issues, the framerate issue (covered in the DF video), removing split-screen co-op options, etc. They took as much time porting this to PC as Playground Games spent making the first Forza Horizon game from scratch, and the things they added or changed are the worst things about it.

If anything, this release has me even more concerned for Halo 6.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I don't think Halo 4 would get as much recognition but Halo 5's multiplayer was on point. While that may not be a popular opinion, I enjoyed it and it brought me back after Halo 4's. I did however like the campaign of Halo 4, but not so much Halo 5. Hopefully Halo Infinite is top notch through and through. I did notice that a lot of my Halo reach frustrations are still apparent, but it's still a fun game.
Reach has some experiments.
Some of these were used in Destiny (no matter if you liked it or not it is a sucess).
Of course not all experiments were good but overall it is a way better game than both Halo 4 and Halo 5.

BTW this Reach release has a series of changes and bugs that needs to be fixed asap.

Last edited:
Reach has some experiments.
Some of these were used in Destiny (no matter if you liked it or not it is a sucess).
Of course not all experiments were good but overall it is a way better game than both Halo 4 and Halo 5.

BTW this Reach release has a series of changes and bugs that needs to be fixed asap.
Oh for sure, Reach was Bungie's excuse at testing a bunch of Destiny mechanics. I'll agree that it was better than Halo 4's campaign and MP and Halo 5's campaign. But my opinion still stands on 5's MP, although it's been a while since I've played it.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
This release kind of did that. Reach is still a great game and it holds up really well, it's just all the stuff that 343 changed for this release either isn't working properly or makes absolutely no sense like the unlock system, the m/kb issues, the 4K issues, the framerate issue (covered in the DF video), removing split-screen co-op options, etc. They took as much time porting this to PC as Playground Games spent making the first Forza Horizon game from scratch, and the things they added or changed are the worst things about it.

If anything, this release has me even more concerned for Halo 6.

I gave up on mcc a long time ago. Took up too much space for nothing. Reach mp was always fun to me but not better than 3 imo. Campaign is my favorite tho.

With that being said, i want it to be successful and hopefully it helps 343 get their shit together for Infinite.

I enjoyed 5's mp but it didn't keep my attention long at all.

Holammer

Every time they add a new game to the collection, it'll create additional hype and more sales. Generating a lot of goodwill towards Microsoft and paving the way for Halo 5 and Halo Infinite PC releases.
I wouldn't be surprised if they sell 8M+ copies on Steam alone in a year.
(a very conservative estimate)

Really? WTF lol

Well that at least shows it is not easy to scale games across platforms.
The PS3 and Xbox 360 were very unique in design. It's not very often you find a Triple Core PowerPC processor in a desktop. Ease of development came during this gen when everything became x86 which is more like PCs. If you recall, BC on these systems hasn't been easy and non-existant on PS4 for the most part. So yeah, starting at this generation, scaling is much easier.

JimmyJones

Banned
Reach is the crappy one as well. Wait till 2 and 3 are out, they will pump those numbers up!

Last edited:

Reon

I've never been a Halo fan but I'm loving Reach on PC so far. It has a lot of problems though, the audio is completely fucked and the P2P networking is broken as all hell too. Terrible port job but still fun for multiplayer.

I've never been a Halo fan but I'm loving Reach on PC so far. It has a lot of problems though, the audio is completely fucked and the P2P networking is broken as all hell too. Terrible port job but still fun for multiplayer.
It's not P2P , check your connection, it tells you which server that you are connecting to typically. But I agree with the Audio. I think a lot of the problems will be patched however.

ethomaz

Banned
The PS3 and Xbox 360 were very unique in design. It's not very often you find a Triple Core PowerPC processor in a desktop. Ease of development came during this gen when everything became x86 which is more like PCs. If you recall, BC on these systems hasn't been easy and non-existant on PS4 for the most part. So yeah, starting at this generation, scaling is much easier.
The game was already ported to Xbox One... that is what I'm saying.
It seems like it is not easy to scale to from Xbox One to PC like people believe here.

Reon

It's not P2P , check your connection, it tells you which server that you are connecting to typically. But I agree with the Audio. I think a lot of the problems will be patched however.
Oddly enough I have no issues with the multiplayer but the campaign co-op is completely ruined, it's like constant 500+ ms of latency. Multiplayer is smooth as butter though. Do you have this issue as well?

It seems like it is not easy to scale to from Xbox One to PC like people believe here.
No it (Reach) wasn't it was running on an emulator that was emulating Xbox 360 code. The Enhanced Xbox One and the PC versions that run at 60+FPS for the MCC collection were released within a week or two of each other. The PC versions are being enhanced even further than the MCC versions to make up for various resolutions, aspect ratios, video cards, etc. This whole thing was a bigger beast because it's based on older games and had to be rebuilt.

ethomaz

Banned
No it (Reach) wasn't it was running on an emulator that was emulating Xbox 360 code. The Enhanced Xbox One and the PC versions that run at 60+FPS for the MCC collection were released within a week or two of each other. The PC versions are being enhanced even further than the MCC versions to make up for various resolutions, aspect ratios, video cards, etc. This whole thing was a bigger beast because it's based on older games and had to be rebuilt.
What are you talking about?

Halo 3 is on Xbox One and not scaled to PC yet... same for Halo 1 and 2.

MCC is not emulation... it is native x86/64 code.

Last edited:
I gave up on mcc a long time ago. Took up too much space for nothing. Reach mp was always fun to me but not better than 3 imo. Campaign is my favorite tho.

With that being said, i want it to be successful and hopefully it helps 343 get their shit together for Infinite.

I enjoyed 5's mp but it didn't keep my attention long at all.

I want Infinite to be perfect, I actually liked the gameplay in Halo 5, it felt tailor made for the paddles on the Elite controller. But it could have had any other title slapped on the box though "Space Guy and Friends" or something. None of the characters were behaving like themselves, even characters 343 created or fleshed out were behaving oddly. After 4 I expected changes but not what came next. The Halo franchise is deep with lore and detail and there is so much potential to be better than it's become.

There are two versions on X1. The BC version released a few years ago and the one included in MCC which has been updated. The X1 BC version is a 1:1 carryover of the X360 with only the upgrades the emulation supports for enhanced titles (I'm not sure if Reach was ever enhanced though). No ultrawide support, no 4K, no 60fps, and no link to MCC. The X1 has hardware hooks built in to make X360 ports a lot easier than they would be otherwise. Porting from X1 to PC is probably a lot simpler than making an x360 title work on both X1 and PC.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The X1 BC version is a 1:1 carryover of the X360 with only the upgrades the emulation supports for enhanced titles (I'm not sure if Reach was ever enhanced though). No ultrawide support, no 4K, no 60fps, and no link to MCC. The X1 has hardware hooks built in to make X360 ports a lot easier than they would be otherwise. Porting from X1 to PC is probably a lot simpler than making an x360 title work on both X1 and PC.
MCC is native x86/64 code on Xbox One.
Who the hell is talking about BC?

But Halo CE - Halo4 will most likely arrive quicker.
The game is not rebuilt... it is aready x86/64... the rebuild was done years ago with Xbox One version.
It is a actual game that runs native on actual modern hardware... it is not old.

Last edited:

The game is not rebuilt... it is aready x86/64... the rebuild was done years ago with Xbox One version.
It is a actual game that runs native on actual modern hardware... it is not old.

I re-read your post, you were referring to Halo 3 there, not Reach, my mistake.

I think a lot of the reason they're taking so long is they now have to get MCC, which was already more than they could handle on consoles, working across the consoles and PC together. Given how long it took to mostly fix MCC, I'm actually kind of surprised Reach wasn't a 2021 release.

I know the point that you are getting at and your being a complete fuckwit about it because you don't appear to have any knowledge in the matter whatsoever. You're talking about a set of games from Xbox 360 that were ported to Xbox One, which is not the same as a game that was built from the ground up for Xbox One. Yes, they ported it over to Xbox One, but obviously didn't have the PC in mind when doing so. Let's also not forget that the MCC, when first released, was a catastrophe to begin with. Somehow, they're reviving the game and their work on it is starting to blossom.

So sure, these games probably work on the PC, but very statically and not dynamically like they need to be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom