• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox boss says hardware analysis between consoles is “meaningless”

This is the only relevant metric

BKzx_GWCQAAQuUO.png

Preorder cancelled

so it's true that they have a weaker HW?

on top of all the magic we're going to add with the instant switching, and the power of the cloud. :lol ok

PS3 was twice the power of 360... on paper that is, the games really proved otherwise and they will once again. That's what the man is saying and I agree with him. *Puts flame suit on.

There is too much discussion on the theoretical performance levels when comparing the two and not enough on what extent, if any, that difference will show. Let's assume we will see X amount of difference 18 months after release. The crucial question is would X difference be enough for an Xbox One - or someone who is looking to purchase their first console - be so significant that they decide to purchase the PS4?

If not, then this debate is pointless

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I some ways hes right.

The PS3 was arguably more powerful than the XBox 360, yet the XBox 360 usually had the better version of multi-plat games. A lot of the specs don't matter when in general the consoles are pretty close to one another.

If you measure "power" in terms of what is likely to be achieved rather than in terms of maximum potential given no other realistic constraints, the PS3 wasn't more powerful than the 360. (And I should say "on average," because obviously Sony first party games lived up to the PS3's potential much more often than did 3rd party games.)

The PS4, fortunately, was built to walk the middle ground between extreme theoretical power and usability.

Ushae

Banned
He's absolutely right. It's all about the games, I couldn't give a shit about the operations per clock etc when I'm playing Quantum Break or Infamous. Who here actually does that. Personally I think those that go out of their way to shove 'number's down other peoples throat are simply trying to justify their preorder. My advise; just be happy with your purchase and enjoy it :)

Soi-Fong

He's absolutely right. It's all about the games, I couldn't give a shit about the operations per clock etc when I'm playing Quantum Break or Infamous. Who here actually does that. Personally I think those that go out of their way to shove 'number's down other peoples throat are simply trying to justify their preorder. My advise; just be happy with your purchase and enjoy it :)

He is right. Maybe then also, he should stop shoving the cloud and 5 billion transistors down our throats since they're meaningless.
This is just to counter what Cerny said at Gamelab and they know they have nothing that they can say against him.

All this guy is, is a hypocrite who says specs don't matter, yet spew out meaningless turd like 5 billion transistors.

In the end, it's the games that matters, but those games are also affected by the final specs in the end.

I'm just glad we won't have a generation arguing which console is in fact stronger when we already know it now and it's pretty definitive.

We'll have to come up with something new, get to it guys. Got a few months to figure it out.

Concept17

"Leave it to THEM and don't THINK/TALK about it."

Yes because absolutely no one can try and decipher technical specs except those who made the product. So stupid. Many people on this board, and many more are very familiar with what is going on in the parts of these systems.

TheJLC

If the system were more powerful these words would not have come out of this executive... Instead they would be claiming everywhere that their system is more powerful. It's hypocrisy at its best.

The number games is pre release pr talk and fanboy fodders
After release it will be list wars.

Im getting an x1 i dont see myself missing an halo or forza after playing them on the 360. Get the box that has the games you want to play if you want tflops and godly image quality get an high end gaming rig...

Soi-Fong

It doesn't matter because games get made for the weaker/easier system and ported to the other one anyway.

In this case, that easier system is the PS4. Cerny even said in Gamelab that all third parties asked for unified memory. There's a reason for that and more than likely PS4 will be lead dev platform then port down to XBONE.

JABEE

There is too much discussion on the theoretical performance levels when comparing the two and not enough on what extent, if any, that difference will show. Let's assume we will see X amount of difference 18 months after release. The crucial question is would X difference be enough for an Xbox One - or someone who is looking to purchase their first console - be so significant that they decide to purchase the PS4?

If not, then this debate is pointless

I think the real answer will be found 2 years from now. If multiplatform games look better on PS4, will it allow PS4 to pull away and sell more software? The 360 being the lead platform and having stable FPS on titles like Madden in the early days did establish it as the machine to purchase your 3rd Party games on. It is pretty important to a lot of people.

He is absolutely wrong when he says that it doesn't matter to people. If one console is as far ahead as specs indicate, then it will make a difference in people's perception of the box.

I appreciate those who understand the point I was trying to get across. It’s always hard, after sitting doing interviews all day, and you’re trying to have an engaging conversation with someone, and words get pulled out our the tone what you’re trying to say didn’t come out how you meant it.

You should also understand this interview was done after our launch event, and prior to E3. So please take that into consideration.

I’m not diminishing Sony’s performance claims and I wasn’t trying to be arrogant or dismissive. What I was trying to say is – I’m not Sony’s engineering team. So I can’t comment on what they have published as specs. I know what our teams are doing, and I know how they thought about architecting the system. The guys who are building these machines (on both sides) are unbelievably talented and experts in their field. Nobody knows the specifics of how the machines are architected or if there may be bottlenecks in one system or accelerators in another that change the impact of the published specs.

What I believe is that our games are going to be great and they are going to look next-gen, and I *think* E3 sort of showed that. And great games are what matters. And while you guys joke about the cloud stuff, I think the stuff the Respawn guys have said starts to clear up what we’ve been talking about with cloud performance (cue the “have you seen Titanfall” meme)

Games on both systems looked awesome. I was there, and while I know RISE took a hit on the gameplay that was shown, I thought it was the most next-gen looking game I saw on either platform. Of course, I get I’m biased and I didn’t have time to see everything.

As always, I love taking the hits. And I appreciate that while the words I used may were probably worth some scrutiny, I do appreciate that some of you got what I was trying to say.

(BTW the picture in that article is not me, but it is my good looking friend Kevin who works in Marketing)

JABEE

Im getting an x1 i dont see myself missing an halo or forza after playing them on the 360. Get the box that has the games you want to play if you want tflops and godly image quality get an high end gaming rig...

But you want to play those titles with impressive graphics. The same way that people want to play Nintendo or Sony titles that are improved.

I think the thing that will make the most difference is $399 right away. Games looking better on one platform will be a word of mouth thing that carries into years 2 and 3 of the system.

JABEE

I appreciate those who understand the point I was trying to get across. It’s always hard, after sitting doing interviews all day, and you’re trying to have an engaging conversation with someone, and words get pulled out our the tone what you’re trying to say didn’t come out how you meant it.

You should also understand this interview was done after our launch event, and prior to E3. So please take that into consideration.

I’m not diminishing Sony’s performance claims and I wasn’t trying to be arrogant or dismissive. What I was trying to say is – I’m not Sony’s engineering team. So I can’t comment on what they have published as specs. I know what our teams are doing, and I know how they thought about architecting the system. The guys who are building these machines (on both sides) are unbelievably talented and experts in their field. Nobody knows the specifics of how the machines are architected or if there may be bottlenecks in one system or accelerators in another that change the impact of the published specs.

What I believe is that our games are going to be great and they are going to look next-gen, and I *think* E3 sort of showed that. And great games are what matters. And while you guys joke about the cloud stuff, I think the stuff the Respawn guys have said starts to clear up what we’ve been talking about with cloud performance (cue the “have you seen Titanfall” meme)

Games on both systems looked awesome. I was there, and while I know RISE took a hit on the gameplay that was shown, I thought it was the most next-gen looking game I saw on either platform. Of course, I get I’m biased and I didn’t have time to see everything.

As always, I love taking the hits. And I appreciate that while the words I used may were probably worth some scrutiny, I do appreciate that some of you got what I was trying to say.

(BTW the picture in that article is not me, but it is my good looking friend Kevin who works in Marketing)

Why doesn't Microsoft publish their specs? Do you believe that specs would be published in more detail if they were on par on better than Sony's platform. 8GB of RAM and 5 Billion Transistors were something brought up during your press conference. Two specifications that on the surface level before looking at the type of RAM look on par with Sony.

Also, when you look at launch titles it is more difficult to tell what the generation will look like 2-3 years from now when better specifications like a better GPU and less splintered RAM would have an impact on performance of both 1st party and 3rd party titles. How long into the generation does it take for those specifications to matter in your opinion?

Branduil

"Hardware analysis now is meaningless, as opposed to the extremely meaningful buzzwords of the past like 'Blast Processing'"

Ushae

Banned
He is right. Maybe then also, he should stop shoving the cloud and 5 billion transistors down our throats since they're meaningless.
This is just to counter what Cerny said at Gamelab and they know they have nothing that they can say against him.

All this guy is, is a hypocrite who says specs don't matter, yet spew out meaningless turd like 5 billion transistors.

In the end, it's the games that matters, but those games are also affected by the final specs in the end.

He's a hypocrite that knows a damn sight more than you, me or anyone else on GAF. We should leave the tech talk to the experts and do what we do best, games. I think we should wait for side by side comparisons for multiplats, that's only way we, the consumers, can compare these things.

What I believe is that our games are going to be great and they are going to look next-gen, and I *think* E3 sort of showed that. And great games are what matters. And while you guys joke about the cloud stuff, I think the stuff the Respawn guys have said starts to clear up what we’ve been talking about with cloud performance (cue the “have you seen Titanfall” meme))

You and Respawn have some sort of partnership going on, hence the timed exclusivity, so why would they be anymore credible on discussing the "infinite power of the cloud" than Microsoft itself?

Maybe if you guys spent more time discussing the tech side of the cloud as Mark Cerny has been doing with the PS4 instead of sounding arrogant in practically all of your interviews, this would not be such an issue. It all sounds like fluff to make up for the fact that your console is underpowered.

This just in: Microsoft boss doesn't know how to spell the name of his own game, it's Ryse (I'm sure it was an honest typo)

Soi-Fong

He's a hypocrite that knows a damn sight more than you, me or anyone else on GAF. We should leave the tech talk to the experts and do what we do best, games. I think we should wait for side by side comparisons for multiplats, that's only way we, the consumers, can compare these things.

You do know your logic is pretty much flawed especially at the beginning of this generation where we'll have multiple cross-generational games. I mean, hell, ACIV is being released on 8 platforms!

Interfectum

Why not release the specs? What are you afraid of?

Ushae

Banned

Well said, but many enjoy PS4 exclusives too. There are some things PC rigs will never get to play unfortunately. Also getting an X1 as I prefer it's controller and exclusives not to mention what looks like an amazing OS and later in the cycle I'll enjoy the PS4 exclusives :)

madmackem

Wow did ms just go full blown nintendo, power dont matter mode. Some of those quotes are straight up bonkers. Powerz means nothin but here our powerz of dat cloudz sonnnnnn.

GodofWine

Specs are meaningless IF;
A. You are not the most powerful but are still the 'lead platform'
B. You are the most powerful but are not the lead platform

Specs are very meaningful IF
C. You are the most powerful and the 'lead platform'
D. You are not the most powerful and are NOT the 'lead platform'

Soi-Fong

Why not release the specs? What are you afraid of?

Pretty much this. Nothing wrong with releasing the specs. It's not meaningless to everybody. Some people actually are curious or want to know.

It's meaningless to you guys because you know, when in comparison with the PS4, your console is weaker. By not releasing specs, you guys are showing that specs do matter.

I don't think he can be wrong or right on that statement until people see the differences between multiplat games.

Soi-Fong

Well said, but many enjoy PS4 exclusives too. There are some things PC rigs will never get to play unfortunately. Also getting an X1 as I prefer it's controller and exclusives not to mention what looks like an amazing OS and later in the cycle I'll enjoy the PS4 exclusives :)

Lol Love how people are judging the Ps4 controller to be inferior when they haven't tried it out themselves yet, chalk up the XBONE controller, when they also have not tried it out themselves. I'm keeping an open mind about both controllers.

Add to that, people seem to be ignoring the various sites that have praised the DS4.

Cannot wait for games to start coming out, I wanna see what this "power of the cloud" thing is all about.
When is the last time Microsoft hyped up some potential for the Xbox and it actually panned out?

Trusting in potential requires that there is some credibility to the claims.

Top Bottom