• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox button prompts on tales from borderlands episode 4 on ps4 version

MDSLKTR

Most overrated and overpaid developper in the industry. And basically everyone is better now at doing adventure games than they are it's crazy

Velkyn

AFAIK, that should be a MAJOR TRC certification failure.

Someone is going to be in very deep shit over this.

Khrno

Do they have to play/see the whole game for themselves to certify it? (Serious question)

Yes, this was a TRC oversight (lazy testers).

I just want to know what sku is the OP playing, just to see if this a miss from SCEA or from my old co-workers at SCEE

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
No, but they release some of the most bug ridden games.

I've played all 4 episodes of Tales of Borderlands without a single bug or crash. Guess I was lucky? Or are these bugs mostly on consoles(playing PC here)?

Pillville

Wait what's the joke?
When you make a choice it says such and such character will remember what you said.

Example:
17u17bsfglgz5jpg.jpg

Arttemis

I've played all 4 episodes of Tales of Borderlands without a single bug or crash. Guess I was lucky? Or are these bugs mostly on consoles(playing PC here)?

Try playing their games on console. The run at 10fps at times, stutter to a halt for seconds at a time repeatedly the further you get into the episodes, saves corrupt or a glitch erases your saves, etc. It's insane how shoddy their games are.

TWD's story was phenomenal, though.

Khrno

I'm in uk so would fall under scee Id guess.
Ah ok, so basically the few TRC guys that still remain in Liverpool don't give a fuck any more. Not like most of them ever did anyway.

The other possibility is that it was tested in India, and those guys there certainly care even less.

mclem

That's bizarre. I'm trying to think how this can happen - because by far the logical way to implement button prompts is to embed a whole different graphic on different platforms. Why does the Xbox button prompt graphic exist on the PS4 version at all?

Is it that specific string that's showing the Xbox button prompts consistently?

Could it be for PC, to map button prompts to the current controller? Does the PC version support the PS4 controller natively to that extent?

The way the games I worked on implemented button prompts is that we'd implement a special control code that the game would internally replace with the given prompt. Since we developed on PS2 first and foremost, they'd be named after the PS controls, but remapped logically to other systems, so [CROSS] would display a cross on the PS but the green 'A' button on the Xbox platform; the Xbox platform never had access to the PS buttons images and vice-versa.

If it is the case that it's always that string, that suggests that Telltale's control code specifically refers to the Xbox buttons or PS4 buttons, which in turn would imply that the Xbox string slipped into the PS4 version. And that's just a Really Bad Way to do things.

It's just, ultimately, such a weird occurrence. The only way I can explain it is to imagine that Telltale have a really bizarre implementation for button prompts that I'm struggling to comprehend.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Try playing their games on console. The run at 10fps at times, stutter to a halt for seconds at a time repeatedly the further you get into the episodes, saves corrupt or a glitch erases your saves, etc. It's insane how shoddy their games are.

TWD's story was phenomenal, though.

Ah... yet another reason I was right to go PC this gen then. :p

zakujanai

I loved what Telltale did with TWD S1 but after that it's become pretty disgusting, the quality of some of their releases has been like. And they just keep on throwing out more of it.

It took me weeks to finally beat GoT Episode 2 because of the shitty framedrops. I almost gave up entirely.

TWD S1 had the worst bug I've encountered in their games, erasing my entire progress for the first 4 chapters. If it hadn't been for my PS plus back-up save I never would've touched one of their games again.

I failed Cert on Xbox because my game said "Press Start" instead of "Press Menu". Yeah, this should have never made it through cert.

Garlador

I still love their games for the artistry, music, characters, and story.

... I just wished the technical side was on par.

I loved what Telltale did with TWD S1 but after that it's become pretty disgusting, the quality of some of their releases has been like. And they just keep on throwing out more of it.

It took me weeks to finally beat GoT Episode 2 because of the shitty framedrops. I almost gave up entirely.

Lol! The Wolf Among Us was the best product they have put out by a landslide!

Lol! The Wolf Among Us was the best product they have put out by a landslide!

Yeah, who doesn't enjoy quick time events in a game that struggles to stay above 10fps and doesn't register your button presses properly.

Garbage developer. They've done nothing to improve the performance of their games since the first TWD.

Complete and utter contempt for the end user.

Top Bottom