• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox controllers are still using AA batteries ‘because of long-term Duracell deal’, spokesperson claims

Do you have the option to replace the internal rechargeable batteries when they no longer charge?

Depends what you define as "option".

I've replaced internal batteries before but it isn't user friendly to do so. However my controllers usually wear out before the battery does. Heck I've had the triggers wear out in my XB1 and PS4 controllers before batteries were a concern. I also had that issue with the sticks on my first DS4. Then there was my Elite Controller that died on me so I returned it. Nothing to do with batteries im afraid.

I don't think the Dualshocks/Dualsense are had controllers because of the internal batteries. It would be better if they were replaceable but they are still good controllers. The DualSense is much better than the DS4 in my opinion even with the batteries that it has.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Why would the longest lasting batteries not have the longest running contract? In all seriousness, the only reason for companies to sign these long ass contracts would be down to how lucrative they are. Am guessing Duracell paid a premium not anticipating the Xbox One fiasco. Doubt Microsoft care....

duracell_run_for_longer.gif

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is so corporate that I don't know what to say. It's kinda mind blowing.

pasterpl

One of the best decisions/deals they could have made, I have rechargeable battery packs I have bought for my xbone, they work without any issues with my xbsex controller, swapping takes 2-3 seconds, build in battery IMO would be a step back

pr0cs

I hope this 'deal' never runs out then because integrated battery packs are fucking terrible.

But, you know there will be an army of morons that want the stupid integrated packs, these are the same assholes that hate the MS 'space bucks' and made everything more expensive because they wanted to see cash values instead of points, thus forcing MS to never put cards 'on sale' anymore because it was dollar amounts.

Depends what you define as "option".

I've replaced internal batteries before but it isn't user friendly to do so. However my controllers usually wear out before the battery does. Heck I've had the triggers wear out in my XB1 and PS4 controllers before batteries were a concern. I also had that issue with the sticks on my first DS4. Then there was my Elite Controller that died on me so I returned it. Nothing to do with batteries im afraid.

I don't think the Dualshocks/Dualsense are had controllers because of the internal batteries. It would be better if they were replaceable but they are still good controllers. The DualSense is much better than the DS4 in my opinion even with the batteries that it has.
The bottom line is that more options are always better than less. This has nothing to do with whether the non-replaceable battery controllers are 'bad' only that it has more limited options especially for such an expensive device.

cireza

And that's perfectly fine. Consumers can put whatever they want in the controllers, and you don't have to open it to change the battery.

Those swappable battery packs don't last for shit in my One S controller. Give me an old fashioned charging stand that holds multiple controllers and I am good.

i been using the same 4 Eneloop batteries for my Xbox since like 2015. Soon as its low, swap the 2 out for the charged 2. Rinse repeat. Much prefer to when my Switch or PS controllers get low and u gotta plug it in.

a Duracell deal is kinda weird. Especially since its not like Duracell the only ppl making batteries. But its probably a good thing since without it im sure they would have the crappy internal batteries like the other companies. One day ur ps3/ps4 controllers are gonna be dead forever ever

JCK75

I like keeping controllers almost forever so I actually approve of them still using batteries.. though I really like getting those battery pack and charging stations
Just wish they had kept the back housing the same on the series X so my XBone controller packs worked with the new controller.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
How could it be perfect when it's missing haptic feedback and resistive triggers like the Dualsense has? They need to revise their controller to keep up ASAP.

played thru Spider man Miles Morales and barely noticed it. Playing thru Ghost of Tsushima and not missing it. Only game it was even noticeable to me was Astro bot thing but drained the battery super fast. Hoping Ratchet uses it well but not holding my breath. Over all not worth the hit to battery life and durability of the controller.

Ive used much better force feedback stuff back in the 90s.

The bottom line is that more options are always better than less. This has nothing to do with whether the non-replaceable battery controllers are 'bad' only that it has more limited options especially for such an expensive device.

The extra cost went towards other things I'm afraid. More options is always better just like features. It's pretty easy to justify the Dualsenses expensive price tag even though it contains internal batteries.

It really depends on how you want to look at this.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
My Wii U is out of commission because -- after several years of faithfully serving my family -- the battery in the tablet began to swell. It got so bad that the battery lid was bending outward. This will happen to pretty much any of my controllers and systems with built-in batteries (unless I take the time to dismantle them for long-term storage).

Not really a worry with Xbox controllers. Plus swapping a batter > recharging via cable.

I also love that Wiimotes use AAs, for the same reasons.

NullZ3r0

Banned
I prefer buying Eneloop/Amazon rechargeables and just swapping them out. If my batteries die in the middle of gaming, I don't have to worry about connecting it to the console while I'm charging. Apparently, I'm the only one who plays in a modern living room and not on my bedroom floor 3 ft away from my 19 inch CRT with my He-man sheet and my mommy serving me tendies.

Roberts

i been using the same 4 Eneloop batteries for my Xbox since like 2015. Soon as its low, swap the 2 out for the charged 2. Rinse repeat. Much prefer to when my Switch or PS controllers get low and u gotta plug it in.

a Duracell deal is kinda weird. Especially since its not like Duracell the only ppl making batteries. But its probably a good thing since without it im sure they would have the crappy internal batteries like the other companies. One day ur ps3/ps4 controllers are gonna be dead forever ever

Same here. Bought them four years ago and only recently they have been starting to show their age - have to recharge them once in four days or so. The good thing about it is that I never ever had one of those "Oh shit, my controller's out of juice" moments.

That said, I wouldn't be against a rechargeable xbox controller if they could figure out way not to charge it every 7 to 10 hours.

Dregnel

i loved my xbox 360 controller but it was pain when i couldn't find where to buy a rechargeable battery pack in my country and i didn't know how to buy online.

xrnzaaas

I always say it would be nice to have an option of controllers with replacable batteries and without them for those not wanting a heavy controller.

Banned
everyone preferring a built in, non replaceable battery is an idiot, as there's no defence for it.

options are always better than no options.
there's no plus side in a controller with a battery that necessitates opening up the whole thing to replace vs. one that has a littly flap on the back to do it (which also gives you the option to use AA and several first and third party options)

Last edited:
This is one aspect of the Xbox controllers that I prefer. Sure, you have to buy the rechargable battery pack separately...but you can buy the rechargeable battery pack and replace it without having to tear your controller apart, which, speaking from experience, is incredibly fiddly.

My thumb sticks usually give out before the battery becomes a problem.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Oculus Quest 2 controllers also use 'AA' batteries. I prefer it that way since we just bought a couple packs of rechargeables and we always have fresh batteries ready to go.

REDRZA MWS

Anyone can say what they want, but I love the fact I’ll never have to replace my Xbox controllers because an internal battery won’t hold a charge anymore. Also, I use eneloops, they last forever with having to annoyingly plug my controller in to charge. Just swap eneloops and keep rolling.

Banned
My thumb sticks usually give out before the battery becomes a problem.

the DualShock 4 battery is a problem the moment you take it out of the packaging.

I have a cheap ass batterypack + charge station for Xbox One controllers that last 12h per charge.
the bundle included 2 battery packs and a charge station for 20€

meanwhile my DualShock 4 needs to charge every 6h (if I'm lucky) meaning half of the time I'm using it I'm actually using it wired

an option to replace that shitty ass battery without ripping the controller apart would be nice. especially since DS4 controllers are really fucking annoying to take apart and put back together.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
This is one aspect of the Xbox controllers that I prefer. Sure, you have to buy the rechargable battery pack separately...but you can buy the rechargeable battery pack and replace it without having to tear your controller apart, which, speaking from experience, is incredibly fiddly.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: this dude.

jaysius

Banned
You buy the rechargeable pack and it still last longer than a DS4 or a Dual Sense.

Having a battery that's difficult for the end user to remove ties them to the charging cable, and makes them want to buy ENTIRE CONTROLLERS when the battery life gets worse.

So I guess Sony has a long-term deal with itself.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

If this was true, then they could have just switched over to rechargeable batteries from Duracell built-in though, and provide a note that says powered by Duracell.

FritzJ92

You buy the rechargeable pack and it still last longer than a DS4 or a Dual Sense.

Having a battery that's difficult for the end user to remove ties them to the charging cable, and makes them want to buy ENTIRE CONTROLLERS when the battery life gets worse.

So I guess Sony has a long-term deal with itself.
Your bank account*.

I prefer batteries. Allows be to choose if I want to swap ikea batteries every 40 hours or do I want to swap for recharged set.
Or Xbox is selling play n charge kit so You can just wire it up like playstation. There is no drawback.
For me it is most important that I can swap and never get wired
The drawback is they include NOTHING. There would be no drawback if they included the play and charge kit, then that's actually a choice. You know the thing that comes free with every other controller.

Last edited:

NickFire

I consider the battery differences a straight draw and personally prefer Sony's approach. I like how MS does not require a new purchase (or service ticket if sony will replace them for you) to change out batteries that lose their max charge. But I also like getting a controller and not needing to buy rechargeable battery packs or batteries.

Starhowl

Strange, mine is using an Li-ion pack which lasts several days and I bet even longer than any of the competition. :pie_thinking:

Also, I can replace it anytime in case it's defective with official replacement parts in contrast to other "parties". ✌️:cool:

the DualShock 4 battery is a problem the moment you take it out of the packaging.

I have a cheap ass batterypack + charge station for Xbox One controllers that last 12h per charge.
the bundle included 2 battery packs and a charge station for 20€

meanwhile my DualShock 4 needs to charge every 6h (if I'm lucky) meaning half of the time I'm using it I'm actually using it wired

an option to replace that shitty ass battery without ripping the controller apart would be nice. especially since DS4 controllers are really fucking annoying to take apart and put back together.

Meh, it doesn’t bother me that much. I play for a few hours and then charge it in rest mode.

Mr_Potato

Banned
How could it be perfect when it's missing haptic feedback and resistive triggers like the Dualsense has? They need to revise their controller to keep up ASAP.

Apparently it's already planned by Phil Spencer, the patents copying Sony haptics have already been published.

And lol @ "batteries are better if the rechargeable battery dies". Never happened once in thousands hours of play time for me since PS3.

It's 2021, AA batteries are a thing of the past, it's already boring enough changing them every 2 weeks on every toy my son uses. No thanks, I'm happy Sony has no deal with Duracell.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Whatever, I have kids. The house required a constant supply of AA/AAA batteries for them and Me. I also fucking hate plugging the controllers for the other systems in to charge.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The drawback is they include NOTHING. There would be no drawback if they included the play and charge kit, then that's actually a choice. You know the thing that comes free with every other controller.
They include standard AA batteries so You are set for 40 hours.
Then you have to buy rechargables/batteries/playcharge kit.
I personally spend 3 dollars for 10 ikea batteries. it lasts a me a long time. i dont even bother with rechargables.
Would be nothing wrong with including play'n'charge kit but they do sell it separately.

I much prefer that, than internal battery dying after few years or holding half of it's original charge. The controlers are not super easy to open and let's not act like we all have access to new original internal batteries on ebay. It's all chinese crap

Last edited:
Yeah but one option requires zero investment beyond the initial purchase. The other option requires the purchase of the controller, then constantly purchasing AA batteries OR a friggin charge pack from Microsoft. That's wack.

Edit: this is without even mentioning the environmental impact of chucking out AA batteries constantly. Yes you can recycle them i get that, but how many people do you think are really doing that? Any little but helps but wtf, we have the tech now for rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Why not use them.

Last edited:

Mr_Potato

Banned
Anyone can say what they want, but I love the fact I’ll never have to replace my Xbox controllers because an internal battery won’t hold a charge anymore. Also, I use eneloops, they last forever with having to annoyingly plug my controller in to charge. Just swap eneloops and keep rolling.

But it never happens lol. AA batteries are relics of the past.

Top Bottom