• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox game captures stored on the network will be deleted after 90 days following new update

Elysium44

Banned
Sony needs to do this, we all know PNG is better but jpeg is fine when it high quality but sometimes they do look pixelated because the quality varys, it should be fixed quality
And don't get me started on the compression it adds when copying or uploading to the app.
Just send the file as it is.

I was referring to video actually, is this news just about screenshots? Oh well.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is probably one of my favorite things about the way Xbox does it, one click and the 12MB .png file goes on onedrive where I can get it from to upload on GAF or anywhere, no need to fiddle with USB sticks to copy the full quality file.
You can do this via the app but to ensure a quality file it has to be PNG and even that gets compressed.
I mean I share my captures here but I take multiple captures and select from those and try and avoid similar ones when sharing them.
One capture spot could have up to 6 variations I do.
But I still want to keep those and when they can be up to 16mb each it all adds up.
What's worse is the HDR captures.
They smaller in size then PNG and the quality is great on the PS5.
but upload them or copy them and they lose HDR and get compressed.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Who the hell cares. This is a nothing burger not worth arguing over. :pie_eyeroll:
The original title made it sound like they were deleting captures from your console.

Microsoft sure loves to pretend they are adding by subtracting.

They originally deleted captures from the network after 30 days if they got no views. Now it's 90 days. So they are adding 60 additional days. 30+60=90.

Last edited:

Antwix

What's not to like about OneDrive? You get 30gb free and it easily integrates with windows.

Anyway, you still obviously get to store your captures on your console forever so I don't think this is a big deal.

This is probably one of my favorite things about the way Xbox does it, one click and the 12MB .png file goes on onedrive where I can get it from to upload on GAF or anywhere, no need to fiddle with USB sticks to copy the full quality file.
Agreed. I do this too and it's super simple.

They keep trying to force it on Windows and my Samsung phone :messenger_weary:

I've been getting Game Pass ads for Forza and Starfield pushed to my system the past 2 weeks now.

What's not to like about OneDrive?

It lines MS's pockets. Either with literal money or my data as money. Looking for as few reasons to enrich MS as possible.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
It lines MS's pockets. Either with literal money or my data as money. Looking for as few reasons to enrich MS as possible.
Game Master Twitch GIF by Hyper RPG

RespawnX

The original title made it sound like they were deleting captures from your console.

They originally deleted captures from the network after 30 days if they got no views. Now it's 90 days. So they are adding 60 additional days. 30+60=90.

They are doing anyway. If not changed Xbox only stores last 100 screenshots or so after that point old one gets deleted, absolutely ridiculous. If nothing has changed in the last six months, Onedrive upload is also a nightmare in usability. In other words, Microsoft employees don't give a damn about the ease of saving and sharing game moments. No wonder every content creator is on other platforms and sharing from there. But what would you expect from a company that doesn't know what social (networking) means?

Antwix

Onedrive upload is also a nightmare in usability.
How so? Take screenshot/clip > Hold Xbox button (if you want to upload immediately) > Select Share > Upload to OneDrive > Wait a few seconds.

Not sure what's so complicated. They even have their clipshare (I think that's what it's called) if you want to edit/trim the clip. I imagine you're just being dramatic since this is NeoGAF though.

Bungie

This is bs. For one, each generation I was hoping we would get more space for our captures. Nope. I have to manage it every couple of months. Very annoying, I don't think this is the correct solution either.

Maybe there's a 3rd party site can save our clips so we can watch them easier?

cormack12

Gold Member
I was more bummed they discontinued the xbox conpanion app on Windows. The replacement doesn't seem to allow me to pick up my captures from it.

Generally though I think their entire capture suite needs work. Especially with some of the HDR clips that have their lighting totally borked when viewing on console.

I tend to only upload what I want to share and they are usually trimmed to like 7-15 seconds so I doubt this change will bother me much

SenkiDala

I like threads like this. Helps filter out users.

Previously it deleted things in 30 days, they've increased it to 90 and give the users a warning to back them up now.

Bou1Ghi.jpg
The Office Thank You GIF

Seriously, it is a mental illness to take ANY Xbox gaming news and transform it to something negative. If they rise the price of anything comments will be negative, if they lower prices comments will be negative too, if they gained exclusives it'll be negative and if they lose exclusives it'll be negatives. If they add new features it'll be negative...

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Now if steam had a “ auto sell all badges “ setting…. I hate clutter but I am also too lazy to go through everything lol

Sleepwalker

Onedrive is horrible, it insists on making my desktop the same on both my computers and giving me stupid warnings about deleting items that are in onedrive.

Kruza

I'm definitely an avid user of managing the Captures feature on the Xbox family of systems.

I have dozens of gameplay videos uploaded to Xbox Network and keep storage capacity at about 90% or more. I also have a ton of screenshot captures saved in the internal storage drive of my Xbox Series X system.

I haven't use OneDrive often in the past, but I may use it more frequently moving forward. Or I may consider getting an external storage drive and formatting it strictly for captures. I have a few old gameplay video clips that I wish to keep archived somewhere, and I know this catalog will grow moving forward.

My gameplay video clip captures that were saved to my Xbox Series X system would disappear after about three weeks. However, my enormous catalog of screenshots still remain.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Title should be Microsoft adds 60 days to your captures uploaded to the network and enable auto upload to various cloud storage providers where you can store your captures for as long as you want. They also say that player will have ability to back up captures on OneDrive (or another external storage setup of your choosing).

And just to add, as some are making shit up, there is free a version of one drive (I think it is 5GB). If You want additional storage you need to upgrade ($5/month for 1 TB). It also comes with any office 365 subscription.

Mods should start banning people that are in Xbox threads just to gaslight these and start warring.

just to compare; for Sony this is 14 days vs 90 days for ms (after this increase by ms, previously it was 30 days).

you can tell who is doing the whole fake outrage routine In this thread.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

This is bs. For one, each generation I was hoping we would get more space for our captures. Nope. I have to manage it every couple of months. Very annoying, I don't think this is the correct solution either.

Maybe there's a 3rd party site can save our clips so we can watch them easier?
giphy.gif

pasterpl

As a photographer who uses multiple cloud storage solutions, please tell me what's wrong with OneDrive?
It's at least on par with iCloud and Google Drive in my experience and it also has a vault for an added layer of security.

So... ew, weird comment.
OneDrive is owned by MS therefore some must shit on it for this reason. Don’t expect logic. Remember MS = evil incarnate destroying gaming market.

Mr Moose

As a photographer who uses multiple cloud storage solutions, please tell me what's wrong with OneDrive?
It's at least on par with iCloud and Google Drive in my experience and it also has a vault for an added layer of security.

So... ew, weird comment.
As someone who isn't a photographer and doesn't use OneDrive, iCloud or Google drive... I don't like them. I uninstalled it from my PC, it came right back in an update more than once. I think it's finally gone from my PC, but now it's even on my Samsung phone. I disable all the cloud crap on there too.
OneDrive is owned by MS therefore some must shit on it for this reason. Don’t expect logic. Remember MS = evil incarnate destroying gaming market.
It has nothing to do with who owns it, I don't like Google cloud crap either but keep telling yourself that's the reason.

The Office Thank You GIF

Seriously, it is a mental illness to take ANY Xbox gaming news and transform it to something negative. If they rise the price of anything comments will be negative, if they lower prices comments will be negative too, if they gained exclusives it'll be negative and if they lose exclusives it'll be negatives. If they add new features it'll be negative...

You, uh...you realize the reason why is because we're calling out Microsoft's hypocrisy when these things happen, right? They say they won't raise the price...then they start raising the price of everything across the board. "No Game Pass price increase"...only to then raise Game Pass prices...on the console. No hardware price increase because Sony are being anti-consumer....then Microsoft raises the price of their console and suddenly the "economics" becomes important.

"Microsoft's getting more Japanese exclusives for Xbox? Awesome!". Wait a minute, so now it's okay to have Japanese exclusives if it's Xbox getting them? Weren't Microsoft just crying to regulators about competitors supposedly "blocking" Japanese games from their console, which was never true when looking at the actual facts? "Ah cool, Xbox is bringing haptic feedback controllers like DualSense!". Wait a minute, wasn't the DualSense attacked as being a gimmick for the past two years by many of these same people?

Yeah, personally I'm not letting the sudden change in perspective on certain topics just slide, when it's always so "convenient". Mind, I'm not excusing sensible realities that may lead to Microsoft making specific changes to things related to Xbox. That said, I think we both keep that in mind and poke at the sudden "convenience" of timing behind certain points of view changing when it involves Microsoft 🤷‍♂️

You need a link to those emails, bro? I got a link if you want to give them a read :)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You, uh...you realize the reason why is because we're calling out Microsoft's hypocrisy when these things happen, right? They say they won't raise the price...then they start raising the price of everything across the board. "No Game Pass price increase"...only to then raise Game Pass prices...on the console. No hardware price increase because Sony are being anti-consumer....then Microsoft raises the price of their console and suddenly the "economics" becomes important.

"Microsoft's getting more Japanese exclusives for Xbox? Awesome!". Wait a minute, so now it's okay to have Japanese exclusives if it's Xbox getting them? Weren't Microsoft just crying to regulators about competitors supposedly "blocking" Japanese games from their console, which was never true when looking at the actual facts? "Ah cool, Xbox is bringing haptic feedback controllers like DualSense!". Wait a minute, wasn't the DualSense attacked as being a gimmick for the past two years by many of these same people?

Yeah, personally I'm not letting the sudden change in perspective on certain topics just slide, when it's always so "convenient". Mind, I'm not excusing sensible realities that may lead to Microsoft making specific changes to things related to Xbox. That said, I think we both keep that in mind and poke at the sudden "convenience" of timing behind certain points of view changing when it involves Microsoft 🤷‍♂️

You need a link to those emails, bro? I got a link if you want to give them a read :)

You've ingrained war into your system so much that even in this topic about something positive, increasing capture duration and giving people notifications before removing something, you're seeking out and posting unrelated things to try and get a negative point across.

gordo-no.gif

Last edited:
You've ingrained war into your system so much that even in this topic about something positive, increasing capture duration and giving people notifications before removing something, you're seeking out and posting unrelated things to try and get a negative point across.

gordo-no.gif

And everything went perfectly; I knew an Xbox rant this spicy would get a Tropic Thunder gif response, therefore reminding me to put it on my re-watch list. It has been a long time.

giphy.gif

pasterpl

Sure. Link away, cannot wait for that proof where MS explicitly says that they want to destroy the market. I am not interested in your interpretations,, want to see that market destroying text. Otherwise shut the f*ck with your warring. Cannot wait for you to prove me wrong, but I cannot see this happening, MS just spend 70+ Billion USD on Activision, probably their investment in gaming will be closer to 100b+ USD when you look at the last 4-5 years.

I can't understand how people get crazy about that.
Imagine the amount of data ms had to store.
Its ridiculous!
And for what? Nerdy Video game clips?

1 4days is enough.

Tommi84

As long as they are not removed from the console, this is a NON-ISSUE. Sony has 14days limit for online storage captures

Last edited:

pasterpl

I could not give a flying fuck about captures, I only ever do it by mistake.

It’s like people taking a picture of a famous landmark on holiday, nobody cares, nobody wants to see that. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Same with me. Never captured my gameplay on purpose. Same with photo mode, used it in 2-3 games ages ago and now I simply don’t care about these things.
I can't understand how people get crazy about that.
Imagine the amount of data ms had to store.
Its ridiculous!
And for what? Nerdy Video game clips?

1 4days is enough.
I think it shouldn’t even be that. You should record these videos to you console internal/external storage by default and have option to upload to network or cloud storage of your choosing.
As long as they are not removed from the consol, thisnis a NON-ISSUE. Sony has 14days limit for online storage captures
It just shows you who is here for warring only.
I have recordings up on LIVE that are way older than 90 days.
I think I have got some from x360 times still out there, maybe these changes apply only to new recordings? Might be that they will start deleting these old videos if there is no one watching these?

I think I have got some from x360 times still out there, maybe these changes apply only to new recordings? Might be that they will start deleting these old videos if there is no one watching these?
I have some from my XBox One days. Not happy with the 90-day limit, its too low and should be at least a year IMO

Top Bottom