• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass General Discussion

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
EL Edit: Notable announcements can get their own threads. Monthly sets of regular releases can get their own threads. General ongoing talk can go here to cut down on the daily hype wars and bickering threads.

Gamepass has definitely mixed up console gaming more than anything else in recent times.

It has caused a lot of discussion good and bad. Unfortunately as it is a Microsoft service, and not on PlayStation, it also leads to console wars.

lets put all gamepass discussion here in this thread. New games coming to Gamepass, rumors of games on gamepass, why Sony doesn't have Gamepass, how can Sony fight Gamepass etc etc etc etc.

You get the idea :messenger_beaming:

We look forward to fierce discussion on both sides of the aisle, or neutral discussion about the service, but we will ask that Gamepass discussion is limited to this thread, so actual games and other news can be discussed in the regular gaming forum.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...of-war-creator/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Sony Interactive Entertainment is working on “a counterpunch” to Microsoft’s popular Xbox Game Pass service, a former senior developer has claimed.
That’s according to God of War creator and Twisted Metal co-creator David Jaffe, who claims to have spoken to a number of sources within PlayStation about the company’s plans to respond to the popularity of Microsoft’s subscription service.

Game Pass launched in June 2017 and has become central to Microsoft’s gaming business, attracting over 18 million subscribers as of January 2021. It offers Xbox and PC players access to over 100 titles, including all first-party games at launch, with a growing number also available on Android devices via the cloud.

Sony has said on multiple occasions that the Game Pass model wouldn’t work for PlayStation. Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz last September, SIE boss Jim Ryan claimed a subscription-type model would be unsustainable for PlayStation Studios because it often sees its first-party game budgets grow to “well over $100 million”.

However, in a November 2020 interview with Russian news agency TASS, Ryan also suggested Sony may have an ace up its sleeve to counter Game Pass.
“There is actually news to come, but just not today,” he said when asked how PlayStation will respond to Microsoft’s subscription service. “We have PlayStation Now which is our subscription service, and that is available in a number of markets,” he continued.
Jaffe, who worked at PlayStation for 14 years but left the company in 2007, has also heard from his sources at Sony that a response to Game Pass is in the works.

“I’ve said time and again that people who are writing Jim Ryan’s obituary are way premature,” he said in a video published on his YouTube channel on Thursday.

“We had the guy on the show yesterday that had made the petition to fire Jim Ryan and I was like, ‘dude, that’s way premature’ because Jim Ryan doesn’t owe anybody, Sony doesn’t owe anybody, the truth about what’s coming and what their counterpunch to Game Pass is.

“What I can tell you is I know they are doing some stuff because I know people at Sony who have told me that they are doing some stuff,” he continued. “There will be a response to Game Pass.

“What it is we don’t know,” Jaffe added. “Here’s what I would say I worry about. If Jim Ryan thinks the proper response to Game Pass is to emulate backwards compatibility, PS3 games, PS2, PS1, and then to also add Trophies, which is what that patent suggests they’re going to do, and they’re also going to fold in all the movies and shit and make a streaming service, he’s absolutely wrong if he thinks that mixing it with PS Now [is the way to go].

“That would make me go, ‘I don’t think the man has a clue’, because that’s not going to compete with Game Pass, but I don’t know if that’s the case, but I don’t think Jim Ryan is ready to throw under the bus at all.”

[IMG alt="davidjaffe"]https://www.neogaf.com/data/avatars/s/5/5289.jpg?1575849362[/IMG] davidjaffe

Any more intel you can give us on this sir? If not, Kratos come get your boy.

Post by Maxwell Jacob Friedman Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Ellery

Awesome. I might sub again this year for Necromunda and maybe Halo Infinite depending on how the final game looks.

And obviously Bethesda games, but I don't know if I should hope for any 2021 surprises given the delay-state the industry is in.

Perrott

Gold Member
PC Game Pass is so good that I'm currently forcing myself to not subscribe to it because I don't want my already gigantic backlog to get even bigger.

But around June I'm planning to get it in order to play the Age of Empires remasters and a TON of indie games.

Alright! Finally a contaiment thread! Thank you for this.

I don't understand this. You don't see xbox gamers telling PS gamers to confine certain PS topics to a certain thread.

Gamepass is a system seller and there is such a wide spectrum to discuss about it (upcoming games, current discounts, requests and expectations, current prices, 'sustainability' etc).

Imagine telling people can you keep all Sony first party game talk to one thread. It would come across as being salty and jealous of sonys first party games.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I love GP but I don’t like the fact that games have an expiration date. I’m sure it’s necessary, but nonetheless it’s disappointing when a game I’m enjoying leaves the service.

Esca

Thank you so much. I find myself getting tired of all the threads and was losing interest in the forum because it was the same shit spread across multiple threads nearly all the time.

Now if we can get a troll containment thread for returnal

ManaByte

I don't understand this. You don't see xbox gamers telling PS gamers to confine certain PS topics to a certain thread.

Gamepass is a system seller and there is such a wide spectrum to discuss about it (upcoming games, current discounts, requests and expectations, current prices, 'sustainability' etc).

Imagine telling people can you keep all Sony first party game talk to one thread. It would come across as being salty and jealous of sonys first party games.

This was needed because there was at least one GamePass concern thread or a thread about how GamePass wasn't for the OP every week. It became annoying.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Great idea to have a Game Pass OT. Makes sense especially since so many games will be hitting the subscription service day one this year and beyond.

Pejo

So is anybody in here familiar with Microsoft Rewards? I'm seeing through some info that it seems to be possible to pay for your monthly gamepass sub just by doing the rewards tasks.

Stuart360

Gold Member
So 20 of 60 games announced are coming to GP and we're supposed to put all that in this one thread?

Feels like an over correction.
Actually yeah thinking about it, this does seem a bit of a damage control thread. Especially with potential big name games coming to it in the future.
So if the Battlefield 6 rumour ends up true, which would be one of the biggest stories of the year really, all discussion has to be in here?.
Yep damage control.

Finally.
This was needed because there was at least one GamePass concern thread or a thread about how GamePass wasn't for the OP every week. It became annoying.
While a game pass concern thread might have been weekly.

The ‘why game pass is awesome’ and ‘why you should sub to gp’ were daily and were even more annoying.

This was needed weeks ago

Edit already seeing the conspiracy theory damage control being peddled 😂.

Last edited:
Actually yeah thinking about it, this does seem a bit of a damage control thread. Especially with potential big name games coming to it in the future.
So if the Battlefield 6 rumour ends up true, which would be one of the biggest stories of the year really, all discussion has to be in here?.
Yep damage control.

Exactly my thoughts.

As I said before.... Imagine creating an official thread saying can all sonys first party games be discussed here.

Would come across as extremely salty by xbox gamers. There's so much happening with gamepass every week... And now it can only be discussed in one thread?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Thank you so much for this dude! It was getting out of control, which I'm sure you were well aware of, lmao. This forum is capable of so many awesome topics and discussions, but the last couple of days it looked like it was JUST revolving around those topics.

Yep damage control.
I feel like it's less "damage control" and more so mods just trying to filter the board. I don't know about you, but I'd rather see a contained thread than seeing another 20-30 threads that lead to the same subject.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So a message board with less messages, that seems like a good idea?

Less messages saying exactly the same things over and over again? Yes, yes it is

We do not need 10 different Game Pass threads going at once

Stuart360

Gold Member
Thank you so much for this dude! It was getting out of control, which I'm sure you were well aware of, lmao. This forum is capable of so many awesome topics and discussions, but the last couple of days it looked like it was JUST revolving around those topics.

I feel like it's less "damage control" and more so mods just trying to filter the board. I don't know about you, but I'd rather see a contained thread than seeing another 20-30 threads that lead to the same subject.
Well having one main Gamepass discussion thread is fine, and probably a good idea. But if there is some big Gamepass news, i think a seperate thread should be allowed. Atleast for the sake of news.

I mean we may as well have just official Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo mega threads, with all discussion in them. I mean that would certainly help with console warring.

Last edited:

n0body

Banned
Well having one main Gamepass discussion thread is fine, and probably a good idea. But if there is some big Gamepass news, i think a seperate thread should be allowed. Atleast for the sake of news.

I mean we may as well have just official Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo mega threads, with all discussion in them. I mean that would certainly help with console warring.
DGrayson DGrayson Then let's have one PSPlus games thread, and one PSNow thread.

You can't just pick and choose what to control because it doesn't suit your own personal bias.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Less messages saying exactly the same things over and over again? Yes, yes it is

We do not need 10 different Game Pass threads going at once
By the same token don't need a comparison thread on every game yet there is one every release.

They getting quarantined next?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wait... new games coming to Gamepass get relegated to this mega thread? That seems really odd.

MLB The Show 21 coming to Gamepass at all was significant news. Highly controversial. This forum has a history with news getting buried in megathreads that most people ignore because they turn all cliquey and you get people gatekeeping and feeling like they are lords of the manor or some shit.

Not a fan, but OK.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
By the same token don't need a comparison thread on every game yet there is one every release.

They getting quarantined next?

Eh? No, the same token would be saying that we don't need 10 comparison threads for every game, which we don't.

Game Pass is great but at the end of the day it's still literally just a service, if you want to talk about any game available on Game Pass, those games will have have their own threads, I don't see the issue here

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Gamepass has definitely mixed up console gaming more than anything else in recent times.

It has caused a lot of discussion good and bad. Unfortunately as it is a Microsoft service, and not on PlayStation, it also leads to console wars.

lets put all gamepass discussion here in this thread. New games coming to Gamepass, rumors of games on gamepass, why Sony doesn't have Gamepass, how can Sony fight Gamepass etc etc etc etc.

You get the idea :messenger_beaming:

We look forward to fierce discussion on both sides of the aisle, or neutral discussion about the service, but we will ask that Gamepass discussion is limited to this thread, so actual games and other news can be discussed in the regular gaming forum.

Thank you!

The Office Reaction GIF

n0body

Banned
Eh? No, the same token would be saying that we don't need 10 comparison threads for every game, which we don't.

Game Pass is great but at the end of the day it's still literally just a service, if you want to talk about any game available on Game Pass, those games will have have their own threads, I don't see the issue here
Then do the same for PSPlus games, and PSNow.

This isn't about keeping the forum tidy and promoting on topic discussion, or else this approach would be adopted across the board.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Then let's have one PSPlus games thread, and one PSNow thread.

You can't just pick and choose what to control because it doesn't suit your own personal bias.
I don't think anyone shunned the idea of those threads, so it's not meant to project any personal bias. This was specifically about Game Pass as the topic itself was brought up multiple times for the past week and some change. I mean, if you ctrl+F'd the page and looked up Game Pass you'd find several. It was a bit much.

I'm sure if there were a ton of threads with PSPlus or PSNow in the thread title, they'd get the same treatment. Has nothing to do with anything about bias.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member
Wait... new games coming to Gamepass get relegated to this mega thread? That seems really odd.

MLB The Show 21 coming to Gamepass at all was significant news. Highly controversial. This forum has a history with news getting buried in megathreads that most people ignore because they turn all cliquey and you get people gatekeeping and feeling like they are lords of the manor or some shit.

Not a fan, but OK.
Out of sight, out of mind.
You cant have negativity if something 'doesnt exist'.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Exactly my thoughts.

As I said before.... Imagine creating an official thread saying can all sonys first party games be discussed here.

Would come across as extremely salty by xbox gamers. There's so much happening with gamepass every week... And now it can only be discussed in one thread?
Absolutely. Wasn't a problem when the TLOU 2 was covering and stinking up most of the first page for ages and there wasn't anything like the volume of new news for it that occurs every week for game pass.

Like someone else said if Battlefield actually comes day 1 to Game Pass that's HUGE news that has to be contained in here but if TLOU gets a remaster for the 3rd generation in row it will be NO problem if there are 20 different threads about it.

n0body

Banned
I don't think anyone shunned the idea of those threads, so it's not meant to project any personal bias. This was specifically about Game Pass as the topic itself was brought up multiple times for the past week and some change. I mean, if you ctrl+F'd the page and looked up Game Pass you'd find several. It was a bit much.

I'm sure if there were a ton of threads with PSPlus or PSNow in the thread title, they'd get the same treatment. Has nothing to do with anything about bias.
It would still be in discussion if you were agreeing changes in how community discussion is moderated.

Are we to expect if PSPlus dominates the board with threads the same would be done? Unlikely.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

there seem to be several per game these days with each outlet getting there own thread so yeah there are multiple already. Don't see why X game hitting game pass isn't thread worthy. Big scores like MLB and Outriders are huge news.

No more threads about PS Plus new games for the month or Xbox Gold ones? Are they not services?

Top Bottom