• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Studios’ Crystin Cox Says Microsoft Has “Over a Dozen Games Being Worked On” by External Partners

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
xbox-gane-studios-publishing.jpg

That's what Cox said in a GDC talk last March about production and team leadership. In the GDC session, Cox and Microsoft's General Manager of Xbox Game Publishing, Peter Wyse, attendees were given a behind-the-scenes look at how Xbox Game Studios Publishing helps developers put their games in players’ hands.

As revealed by Cox, Microsoft currently has over a dozen new unique titles that is being worked on for Xbox by external studios. "So there are quite a lot of projects that we're working on right now and we have over a dozen games that we are currently working on", Microsoft's Director of Live Game Operations at Xbox Game Studios said in the session. She added, "Every single one of those projects is totally unique and we approach them in a very bespoke way."

how is it possible there are only 12? I thought there are 27 studios? I thought a game studio would have at least 1 game they're working on at all times. Sure, there may be some down time for idea generation and concept development, but 12 seems low.

Robb

Gold Member
Microsoft currently has over a dozen new unique titles that is being worked on for Xbox by external studios
So this is in addition to the gams developed by their first party studios I take it?

Thread title is a bit misleading. Not to mention the first picture. Doesn’t seem to have much to do with the studios they own.

Barakov

Gold Member
xbox-gane-studios-publishing.jpg

That's what Cox said in a GDC talk last March about production and team leadership. In the GDC session, Cox and Microsoft's General Manager of Xbox Game Publishing, Peter Wyse, attendees were given a behind-the-scenes look at how Xbox Game Studios Publishing helps developers put their games in players’ hands.

As revealed by Cox, Microsoft currently has over a dozen new unique titles that is being worked on for Xbox by external studios. "So there are quite a lot of projects that we're working on right now and we have over a dozen games that we are currently working on", Microsoft's Director of Live Game Operations at Xbox Game Studios said in the session. She added, "Every single one of those projects is totally unique and we approach them in a very bespoke way."

So they own more companies than they have games that are in the pipeline?
YCIAIAq.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pretty sure they own 24 studios before Activision so they should have 24 games in development.

MarkMe2525

So they own more companies than they have games that are in the pipeline?
YCIAIAq.png

Pretty sure they own 24 studios before Activision so they should have 24 games in development.
Per OP, this is in reference to external studio projects, and not first party.

As revealed by Cox, Microsoft currently has over a dozen new unique titles that is being worked on for Xbox by external studios. "So there are quite a lot of projects that we're working on right now and we have over a dozen games that we are currently working on"

Edit: "titles that IS being worked on" smh You would think they would run it through Grammer correction before publishing.

Last edited:

tusharngf

back in 2012 i thought microsoft is done because of kinect games. Now in 2023 I played only a few games from MS studios. Ori series , forza horizon 4 and 5 and starfield. Apart from that none of the games clicked with me. They are simply not making enough games. Every 3 months they need a killer title for gamepass or people will simply leave.

Last edited:
Someone has passed around a memo at Microsoft and it simply reads "Quantity"

Is quantity important? Sure, but it's the quality that actually matters. Does anyone have faith in Microsoft's 2nd and 3rd party relationships when their first-party studios are putting out games like Redfall and Starfield?

This is an empty hand gesture, it's a distraction at best.

12 games? Any of them worth mentioning in detail right now?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They parted ways unceremoniously so that's not happening, at least not while Thomas Mahler remains CEO.

I know, and I'm so salty about it. Ori is the only Xbox series that I absolutely adore! If they release Ori 3 of the same quality and make it an Xbox exclusive, I'd really just buy an Xbox Series X for that, no kidding.

And this is nothing more than just Xbox's stupidity and hypocrisy. They'd cancel their partnership with Moon Studios over alleged "oppressive working conditions" but will also buy Activision-Blizzard-King and confirm that Bobby Kottick will remain in charge after the acquisition closes despite multiple harassment cases.

I know, and I'm so salty about it. Ori is the only Xbox series that I absolutely adore! If they release Ori 3 of the same quality and make it an Xbox exclusive, I'd really just buy an Xbox Series X for that, no kidding.

And this is nothing more than just Xbox's stupidity and hypocrisy. They'd cancel their partnership with Moon Studios over alleged "oppressive working conditions" but will also buy Activision-Blizzard-King and confirm that Bobby Kottick will remain in charge after the acquisition closes despite multiple harassment cases.
Yeah, I'm pretty bummed out about the situation as well, as I too love the Ori games. I even double dipped and got them physically for my Switch. Oh well... hopefully they'll find a way to make another Ori game in the future and with Moon Studios at the helm.

GHG

Don't worry, they're now looking to hire the Saints Row 2022 devs to balance things out and appease the reee crowd.

coffinbirth

Per OP, this is in reference to external studio projects, and not first party.

As revealed by Cox, Microsoft currently has over a dozen new unique titles that is being worked on for Xbox by external studios. "So there are quite a lot of projects that we're working on right now and we have over a dozen games that we are currently working on"

Edit: "titles that IS being worked on" smh You would think they would run it through Grammer correction before publishing.
GRAMMAR.

Last edited:

That remains to be seen regarding Bobby, obviously if the deal goes through (still not a certainty) we may see Kottick stepping down.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It seems like Microsoft often has an unfathomable amount of games in production, but also that they do actually release exclusives that nobody talks about, even if highly acclaimed.

So this might be more stuff like Pentiment or Ravenlock, rather than bigger name 3rd party stuff like Contraband.

Godot25

Banned
So we know about
Contraband
Towerborne
ARA: History Untold
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024
Kojima Productions project
Project Maverick (People Can Fly)

Rumors are
Project Fantasy (IO Interactive)
Project Suerte (Certain Affinity)
Project Shaolin (Wu-Tang RPG game)

Even if the rumors are true, there is still at least 3 more games.

Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom