• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Studios Japan Is Working On A 'Truly Groundbreaking Product' For Xbox

reksveks

This sounds like support roles, probably to help third parties with Unreal and Xbox hardware features.
Basically how I also read this, I think it's about helping devs port to pc and xbox. JP devs are already incentivized to port to Steam, now Xbox needs to help them port to the MS Store and Xbox.

Ozriel

M$FT
Poorly reported news.

This is Xbox Games Publishing, so they arenā€™t making games themselves. Theyā€™ll partner with Japanese developers to publish games for XbOx.

And itā€™s clearly referring to multiple projects. Thereā€™s also talk about high budgets too.

Ozriel

M$FT
Starting a new studio and producing a new game takes years, but that's nothing to do with this topic anyway.

This sounds like support roles, probably to help third parties with Unreal and Xbox hardware features.

Itā€™s clearly about publishing games on Xbox and/or porting games over that otherwise wouldnā€™t have hit xbox.

Should be a mix of exclusives and multiplatform ports.

They have ID@Xbox for support

iceatcs

Starting a new studio and producing a new game takes years, but that's nothing to do with this topic anyway.

True, but I don't see top class devs make any difference. To me, all developers are the same.

What I mean is I don't see the point for to team up of very expensive veterans rather than cheap start up studio.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Good choice of words. Sets expectations really high and sends a message they are very confident on the product.

groundbreaking
/ĖˆÉ”raŹŠn(d)breÉŖkÉŖŋ/

adjective: ground-breaking
innovative; pioneering.

truly
/ĖˆtruĖli/

adverb
in a truthful way.

Hopefully this doesn't end up like Scale... Scalebound? Scalebound. Y'know I never thought about the title before what the heck does it mean to be scalebound? Am I skinbound?

Very surprised that nobody has worked "groundbreaking" into a joke about the Xbox's famously gigantic heft, but I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Good choice of words. Sets expectations really high and sends a message they are very confident on the product.

groundbreaking
/ĖˆÉ”raŹŠn(d)breÉŖkÉŖŋ/

innovative; pioneering.

truly
/ĖˆtruĖli/

adverb
in a truthful way.

The Alien

Banned
Ghost Rt GIF by NVIDIA GeForce
Ironically, this would mean Microsoft actually released a Japanese game...for Playstation

Naked Lunch

Good to see them make some attempts for Japanese content.
MS Studios is way too top heavy with Western style and needs to get some Japanese stuff in their lineup.

This reads to me like it might be a publishing thing as well. I hope this leads to more shmups in the XB ecosystem - no reason all those shmups released on switch and PS4 cant also be on xbox to make a quick buck.

Ozriel

M$FT

groundbreaking
/ĖˆÉ”raŹŠn(d)breÉŖkÉŖŋ/

innovative; pioneering.

truly
/ĖˆtruĖli/

adverb
in a truthful way.

Itā€™s Xbox Publishing. Theyā€™re asking devs that are working on great games to get in touch. Not necessarily about an AAA product in the works.

Very surprised that nobody has worked "groundbreaking" into a joke about the Xbox's famously gigantic heft, but I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Likely because itā€™s the smaller of the two flagship current gen consoles?

This reads to me like it might be a publishing thing as well. I hope this leads to more shmups in the XB ecosystem - no reason all those shmups released on switch and PS4 cant also be on xbox to make a quick buck.

Itā€™s pretty much a publishing thing. Ports and exclusives, if they can get ā€˜em.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm in 'product'. Have worked with many at Microsoft (outside of the XBOX unit). I have never heard 'product' used that way at my company nor by anyone that I've talked to at Microsoft.

Describing a division of an organization that works on multiple products? 'Product' is cool. As 'I'm in product' or "I'm on product".

Describing things that you are working on? Product not so cool, unless you're referring to cocaine.

This is clearly a single entity. And anyone who doesn't think they have something lined up for Japan and that they are going to give it up has lost their mind.

The post hardware world is almost upon us. Japan is going to be fair game soon.

Eh; this is a publishing group that works with multiple developers. I also work with "product" teams (sitting in a daily standup right now talking to our useless "product" team here at a major telco lol), and understand generally how that language is used. 'This is an advertisement for multiple job postings, and IMO what makes the most sense is they either meant "products" or were using the version of "product" that is plural.

I'll just say to me it's not clear either way. I just really doubt they meant a single product as this is not a developer.

Last edited:
Good to see them make some attempts for Japanese content.
MS Studios is way too top heavy with Western style and needs to get some Japanese stuff in their lineup.

RPG time just hit Xbox a few months ago. Not MS published, but a Japanese game exclusive to PC / Xbox.

OUrouIz.jpg

If Microsoft have any sense or understanding of what made the 360 such a success, this announcement would be lost oddysey 2 and blue dragon 2.

GHound

Groundbreaking? Japan?
I see. So they're bringing VR Kanojo 2 exclusively to Xbox VirtuaLens in a historic partnership with Illusion. šŸ¤”

Last edited:
Top Bottom