• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox Game Studios vs Sony Interactive Entertainment - Who Will Win?

Leyasu

Banned
It's common sense. The world doesn't really care about xbox.

Not yet. But in around 5 yrs when their studios are putting out games every quarter, that are only playable on xbox or PC, I have a feeling that the world will start to care.

Don't get me wrong, this upcoming gen is Sonys. Microsoft have their eyes firmly set on the gen after. The second half of next gen will be setting the stage for the generation after, changing the narrative, organising their studious and I.Ps so that the games flow every quarter and getting the message out that all those games are now not only exclusive to Microsoft, but are also available through a very reasonably priced subscription service.

It is also time to accept that all of those franchises will not be playable anywhere else after the current contracts have been fulfilled.

Vroadstar

At this point it isn't even a competition Xbox has a significantly superior studio line up, on top of a far more premium stable of iconic franchises. Sony went from being the undisputed market leader with their infrastructure and franchises to now just being a participant in next generation, talk about a fall from dominance.

They lost the console power, the services, and now they lost their edge in games.

WGNni5t.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not yet. But in around 5 yrs when their studios are putting out games every quarter, that are only playable on xbox or PC, I have a feeling that the world will start to care.

Don't get me wrong, this upcoming gen is Sonys. Microsoft have their eyes firmly set on the gen after. The second half of next gen will be setting the stage for the generation after, changing the narrative, organising their studious and I.Ps so that the games flow every quarter and getting the message out that all those games are now not only exclusive to Microsoft, but are also available through a very reasonably priced subscription service.

It is also time to accept that all of those franchises will not be playable anywhere else after the current contracts have been fulfilled.

Microsoft still has massive titles to offer to start to be considered a true competitor, Bethesda hasn't aged well to begin with. People need to wait for them to show their hands first. Sony Pictures as well could also introduced many of their films to be developed as video games.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Microsoft still has massive titles to offer to start to be considered a true competitor, Bethesda hasn't aged well to begin with. People need to wait for them to show their hands first. Sony Pictures as well could also introduced many of their films to be developed as video games.
Bethesda is only one studio. They have just acquired a lot more. It is early days, but you can easily see the stars aligning for Microsoft.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Damn, Microsoft is a fucking cancer.

The best that will come from this is talent within these organizations will be inspired to start their own studios now.

Does that ever work out? A lot of those "Ex Rare people making game" studios kinda sucked.

cragarmi

I can see a scenario where it benefits both, at least in the short term. MS release their biggest ips as timed exclusives with day 1 on gamepass, and release on PS later, this way they still benefit from their userbase, and a lot of people would just buy an xbox with gamepass to play them instead of waiting a year and paying $70 per title. PS could barter with MS, to get Demon Souls or Spiderman on Xbox in return for say Elder Scrolls. The fact is inorder for a Netflix style of gaming to make money, it requires high volumes of content. But in a worse case scenario of the Xbox sales drying up it would be so easy for MS to just work as a service. PS might find they need a netflix day 1 service to stay competitive. This will be an interesting generation for sure!

The only real losers sadly will be the smaller independant companies, as MS and Sony go acter bigger and bigger fish.

Humdinger

I'm afraid that with all the money MS is willing to spend on this fight, that they will come out the victor in the long-term. If they can write a check for 7.5 billion (the entirety of Sony is "only" worth 60 billion), on top of all the other studio aquisitions and all the money they've sunk into GamePass, then they are very serious about winning this contest through sheer wallet size alone. And they have a massive advantage in that department.

I'm talking long-term. In the short-term, it will continue to be a close race, especially if you just look at the US and UK, with PS dominating in the RotW. But long-term, a decade from now, I see Microsoft being the dominant party, especially in US/UK.

Of course, I'm as good at predicting the future as anyone else (i.e., not good at all).

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Does that ever work out? A lot of those "Ex Rare people making game" studios kinda sucked.

It works out sometimes. Banner Saga was ex Bioware people. Torchlight had some ex Blizzard North staff.

But for each success story you have five overhyped, failed studios or kickstarters.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why do you suppose the Mistwalker games failed in Japan?

A bunch of reasons, the main one being Xbox being fronted by Halo creating an association with FPS, a genre that never caught on in Japan. You couldn't have chosen a less appropriate flagship/mascot for that territory.

Also, the Mistwalker games weren't actually particularly good.

Woodchipper

It’s all a matter of taste. Call me weird, but I have not touched a Bethesda game during the last two generations. For me it’s Nintendo and Sony all the way.

iHaunter

Sony.

They can have all the studios they want, if their games are bad, they are bad. Just means they have more bad games.

Sethbacca

Sony will still have more first party exclusives that I want, but MS will now have my beloved Fallout. It's gonna vary by person depending what franchises people like.

Seriously the quality of Arkane, Machine and iD eclipse everything MS had in their portfolio before.
The combined IP of Fallout, Doom and TES blows all their old IP away.

Sony.

They can have all the studios they want, if their games are bad, they are bad. Just means they have more bad games.

People will still buy Bethesda jank anyway. How Fallout and TES could still put out the same games on that same awful engine year after year amazes me. It's the IP. That's what people come for.

Last edited:

Roberts

Obviously PS will move more units so I guess that's one way of winning. As an owner of both consoles for the last three generations, I can actually compare what both do and don't do, and personally for me, MS has been winning so far and, now with all the acquisitions, most likely will continue the trend.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Who gives a shit?

Both companies will make money off of us consumers... we should buy what we wan't, don't buy what we don't want.. and be normal about it. Gaming is so odd how much people care about some imaginary war and particularly strange how much they attach themselves emotionally to this war.

Zog

Banned
A bunch of reasons, the main one being Xbox being fronted by Halo creating an association with FPS, a genre that never caught on in Japan. You couldn't have chosen a less appropriate flagship/mascot for that territory.

Also, the Mistwalker games weren't actually particularly good.
So let me get this straight. No matter how xenophobic the Japanese are, it's always going to be Microsoft's fault for not succeeding in Japan?

BTW, Lost Odyssey was excellent.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Bethesda, used to have great games, they still have some good games. Yet Sony goes for another approach.

Ghost of Tsushima, new IP.

ghost-of-tsushima-logo-feature.jpg

Horizon, new IP.

horizon-zero-dawn-intro-desktop-wallpaper.jpg

Days Gone, new IP.

days-gone-review.jpg

Above that, rebooting existing titles like GOTY winner, God of War.

thumb-1920-710329.jpg

4fvdrc.jpg

Can we at least wait until there's some games to even make a comparison with? I dunno about everyone else but I can't take someone's dreams as being verifiable truth

chonga

I meant software as in game sales, which is obviously an area where Nintendo dominates the other two. In services Sony would obviously beat Nintendo due to all the money they make charging 30% from third parties. I think when we talk about who wins a generation we mean console and first party game sales and not overall profit. Nintendo is quite behind when it comes to online and its store.
If you don't move units you can't sell software (or services). Hardware underpins your success at everything else - at least for the moment. When we go all-in on cloud and shit that fades away.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Something tells me that if Sony had bought Zenimax you'd be singing Bethesdas praises :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't play their games nor care much about it as a company. But it's a massive grab from MS, plausible. But some delusional xbox fans here think that games are automatically made, not like they need $1-2B to feed those titles and 5-7 years each to make great games, worthy of GOTY contenders. Would that happen with GamePass? Nope.

Sony, we know the quality the studios currently under their umbrella are capable of. A lot of Microsofts haven't shipped a good game in a while , some of them ever. The bethesda studios are a boost but still we are yet to see what comes from them after Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo which are both still exclusive to Ps5 😂
I wish PlayStation Fanboys would just take 1 Minute of research before posting uninformed nonsense like this!!! Deathloop and GhostWire: Tokyo are timed exclusive to PlayStation 5 now and will be also available to XBox and PC.

And guess what, now every PlayStation Fanboy is now paying Microsoft $70.00 Dollars for each game sold of Deathloop and GhostWire: Tokyo on PlayStation 5. Thanks to all PlayStation Fanboys for supporting Microsofts acquisition of Bethesda ;)

I don't play their games nor care much about it as a company. But it's a massive grab from MS, plausible. But some delusional xbox fans here think that games are automatically made, not like they need $1-2B to feed those titles and 5-7 years each to make great games, worthy of GOTY contenders. Would that happen with GamePass? Nope.
Something tells me that if Sony had bought Zenimax you'd be singing Bethesdas praises :messenger_tears_of_joy:

People seem to keep forgetting that Bethesda has had a terrible couple of years due to how the handled Paid Mods / Microtransactions in Fallout 4 , Fallout 76 / All the bugs in Fallout 76 / The Monetization of Fallout 76 / Preorder Items being cheap versus what were advertised / issues with refund policies on Fallout 76 . I also think it's ridiculous for any company to pay 7.5 Billion dollars for zenimax bethesda, Especially as it has shown nothing concrete on pretty much any upcoming products coming in the next 3-4 years.

Last edited:

Camreezie

I wish PlayStation Fanboys would just take 1 Minute of research before posting uninformed nonsense like this!!! Deathloop and GhostWire: Tokyo are timed exclusive to PlayStation 5 now and will be also available to XBox and PC.

And guess what, now every PlayStation Fanboy is now paying Microsoft $70.00 Dollars for each game sold of Deathloop and GhostWire: Tokyo on PlayStation 5. Thanks to all PlayStation Fanboys for supporting Microsofts acquisition of Bethesda ;)
You're welcome , and I play all consoles 😘

quest

Not Banned from OT
Both excel for different reasons.
Exactly people really should be happy and embrace that. Microsoft will be the whole fucking show for western RPGs. They will also have 2 great racing games and wide variety of games from starfield to everwild. Sony will have the big narrative driven adventure games locked down. Many game of the year contenders. I love where this generation is heading for the most part. Sony could use more variety like the old days but I'm old.

Damigos

Sony’s exclusives are the lifeblood of playstation.
If that goes away, xbox wins. If not, Sony keeps winning

This is ether, Sony got ethered. Sorry it just is.
This is Jim Ryan calling Spencers crib and he aint even give him his number, all he gave him was a cloud for him to run with.

Acquisition of Zenimax is huge. Lot of good franchises in that umbrella, more than Sony currently I'd say.

Of course, we still have to see those games actually come through whereas based on track record, I'd still say Sony

Top Bottom