• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox + Kinect + Skype = ?

Kafel

Banned
Skype will support Microsoft devices like Xbox and Kinect, Windows Phone and a wide array of Windows devices, and Microsoft will connect Skype users with Lync, Outlook, Xbox Live and other communities. Microsoft will continue to invest in and support Skype clients on non-Microsoft platforms.

MS just bought Skype.

tearsofash

Oh, so this actually went through?

I hope this means I can hook my kinect up to my PC and use it for skype (in a more efficient way than what the current available drivers allow)

2th

Banned
welcome to the first really awesome video calling service that is readily accessible from your couch?

antonz

tearsofash said:
Oh, so this actually went through?

I hope this means I can hook my kinect up to my PC and use it for skype (in a more efficient way than what the current available drivers allow)
You could buy a webcam thats far higher quality for like 1/3 the price of kinect and do that...

Lynn616

Be cool if I could have the option to receive calls on my computer, Xbox or phone. Just direct the call to the device I am using at the moment.

tearsofash

antonz said:
You could buy a webcam thats far higher quality for like 1/3 the price of kinect and do that...

I could...

but I try to be multi-purpose. Got a PS Eye for both tinychat/skype and PS3. Figure my existing kinect could also be used since it seems to have a little bit better quality IMO.

People need to see my beard in high def.

tenton

2th said:
welcome to the first really awesome video calling service that is readily accessible from your couch?

Yeah, this. With a really big installed user base, cross platform. It's a good deal for both companies; Skype now doesn't have money concerns, Microsoft now has a VoIP solution that works plus Win Mobile 7 will be getting Skype.

The only concern is how MS will futz with Skype for the other platforms in the future. They won't mess with it now (that would defeat the purpose of buying Skype), but who knows about later down the road.

Jomjom

Banned
I expect Skype to be shut down in 6 months. That's how it always works right? Microsoft buys promising company, Microsoft shuts down promising company or in the alternative, promising company escapes, seeking refuge with Activision.

JackEtc

Just give us cross-platform (Xbox and PC) Party/Skype/Whateveryouwannacallit voice chat, let us link our Gamertags to exsisting Skype names, and have the notifications on Xbox also work for Skype calls and sign-ons.

clav

= Patented Body Moving tracking web cam device + software.

Only available on Windows Messenger + Xbox 360.

Sydle

Cool. Looking forward to seeing all the cross-functionality between PC, Xbox Kinect, Phone, Messenger, Outlook, etc.

I also wouldn't doubt that this gets integrated into Facebook somehow seeing as how Messenger already does as much.

jling84 said:
I expect Skype to be shut down in 6 months. That's how it always works right? Microsoft buys promising company, Microsoft shuts down promising company or in the alternative, promising company escapes, seeking refuge with Activision.

Wrong.

sullytao

If it means being able to make calls and stuff while in game then awesome. If it is only accessable through the dashboard then it will be a petty pointless program.

yurinka

Xbox + Kinect + Skype = Yoga phone (powered by Dalshim).
KAL2006 said:
Does this mean no chance of Skype for NGP and 3DS
I suppouse. But I think people won't miss it.

I use Skype daily at work and only use it there. I have it in my PSP and iPod, but never used it there.

LQX

I can see it being a great feature especially being that it may be very simple to use on a XBox. Send a friend invite and you are Skyping a minute later.

Xenon

2w5soj4.jpg

= Job Security

Top Bottom