• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live coming to the PC

The moment I am required to make one of those bloody avatars when I first log into my PC, I am uninstalling Windows and installing Linux or joining the cult of Jobs.

JaggedSac

fizzelopeguss said:
It's a desperate attempt to combat apple and converge all their devices in some form or another. GFWL today has absolutely fuck all to with XBL or even windows currently. It's just some jank client off in the multiverse somewhere.

Actually, your Live account is the same for GFWL and XBL. Achievements cross over as well as everything else, they utilize the same database. GFWL is basically XBL currently, you just can't voice chat cross platform. Same with the implementation on WP7. The only thing this is bringing is branding and a convergence for all media content, not just games. Zune is basically doing that currently as you can purchase music/video once and stream from PC, 360, ZuneHD, or WP7. It is merely a rebranding, not sure why people are getting up in arms about this.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jaundicejuice said:
The moment I am required to make one of those bloody avatars when I first log into my PC, I am uninstalling Windows and installing Linux or joining the cult of Jobs.

that's the moment when I'll see what the chemicals under the sink taste like

Goon Boon said:
They want to do everything short of actually supporting pc gaming.

Really?

The existence of and continued development of DirectX tells a different story.

MS has done a lot for PC game development, as well as graphics card development for that matter.

Their marketing decisions to push the Xbox certainly have affected some games that might have been on PC otherwise.. but I'd say overall MS has been good to PC gaming.

clav

fizzelopeguss said:
It's a desperate attempt to combat apple and converge all their devices in some form or another. GFWL today has absolutely fuck all to with XBL or even windows currently. It's just some jank client off in the multiverse somewhere.
If you think this is a desperate attempt, you haven't been following Microsoft closely.

Microsoft has been planning this for quite a while now.

JaggedSac said:
Actually, your Live account is the same for GFWL and XBL. Achievements cross over as well as everything else, they utilize the same database. GFWL is basically XBL currently, you just can't voice chat cross platform. Same with the implementation on WP7. The only thing this is bringing is branding and a convergence for all media content, not just games. Zune is basically doing that currently as you can purchase music/video once and stream from PC, 360, ZuneHD, or WP7. It is merely a rebranding, not sure why people are getting up in arms about this.

Exactly.. people don't seem to realize that GFWL already integrates with Xbox Live.

Why is it upsetting people that they are talking about furthering that to potentially have some cross-platform games, and more cross-platform features again?

I guess people expected MS to just bow to Steam and not try to do anything with "Games for Windows" which they've spent tons of money on.. have done a lot to support PC development with.. etc?

And many GFWL games.. can be bought on Steam.. so it's not like they are mutually exclusive.

StevieP

Banned
MrDanger88 said:
We already have dolts paying $15 in virginity tax to Blizzard every month, so why not?

Virginity tax is quite a bit different from paying for a service that keeps track of your epeen and provides your console with crappy p2p matchmaking. We get better for free.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
HK-47 said:
So kbm players could ruin console players in FPS? That will end well.

Who said it was strictly for FPS?

Blazblue: Calamity Trigger is cross platform play with 360 users via Games for Windows Live, that seems to not gimp either player because the genre works for that sort of thing.

Unfortunately, the next "major" fighting game title, on PC anyway, is SSF4: AE and that doesn't support cross-platform play (due to "DERP MULTICONFIG AND NOT SYNCING CLIENTS IS HARD").

Games for Windows Live is a decent stab at trying to put X-box Live on the PC platform. But the fact that 1) MS wanted to charge for it 2) developers support it half-ass and 3) MS themselves barely support it means it's never going to get off the ground.

If MS actually was serious about and put their games up for people to buy without credit cards/buying through MS point cards and improved the services, Steam would have a competitor. It's too bad MS doesn't care.

JaggedSac

IchigoSharingan said:
Keep that dedicated server-less SHIT FEST off my PC, Microsoft.

You do realize that it is up to developers as to whether to use dedicated servers or not for XBox Live games right? Right?

Baha

Prophet Steve said:
It has no equivalent of party chat I think though. Although that isn't a very big advantage.

I think it does actually. You can create chat rooms and then initiate steam voice chat with whomever else is in the chat room. Even then, 3rd party apps like ventrilo & mumble already do those things and do them damn well.

MrDanger88 said:
We already have dolts paying $15 in virginity tax to Blizzard every month, so why not?

Paying for an MMO subscription =/= Paying for an online service. MS has already tried this with GFWL in the past and miserably failed. Any attempts to do this again will end in failure again.

Shambles

nVidiot_Whore said:
Really?

The existence of and continued development of DirectX tells a different story.

MS has done a lot for PC game development, as well as graphics card development for that matter.

Their marketing decisions to push the Xbox certainly have affected some games that might have been on PC otherwise.. but I'd say overall MS has been good to PC gaming.

DirectX is vital to their existance, they don't have a choice but to keep trying to push it as the dominant API. They do enough to keep developers attached to the hip with it, and enough to keep consumers locked into the windows platform. They still don't give a damn about PC gaming.

JaggedSac said:
You do realize that it is up to developers as to whether to use dedicated servers or not for XBox Live games right? Right?

Well hello there, 2002. How ya been?

It can be up to whoever the hell you want to name, but the platform is now synonymous with p2p matchmaking. PC is synonymous with dedicated servers. I don't want even the possibility of my online experience gimped by live coming over. I hate GFWL too. Such a painnnn to deal with in Dirt 3.

dLMN8R

IchigoSharingan said:
Well hello there, 2002. How ya been?

It can be up to whoever the hell you want to name, but the platform is now synonymous with p2p matchmaking. PC is synonymous with dedicated servers. I don't want even the possibility of my online experience gimped by live coming over. I hate GFWL too. Such a painnnn to deal with in Dirt 3.
Uh, Section 8 and its sequel exclusively use dedicated servers, and they both use GFW Live.

That's not to say GFW Live makes it easy to implement dedicated servers, but the support is there.

Prophet Steve said:
It has no equivalent of party chat I think though. Although that isn't a very big advantage.
What? Steam chat does every single thing that Xbox Live party chat does and more.

Top Bottom