• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox need to make an elite V3 with GYRO as a feature!

Got Steam deck this year and my god gyro support is possibly the best feature of the console.

Really hope xbox team think of putting out a new controller that gives folks the option for gyro because trying to play Halo on a console with a standard OR Elite gamepad feels jank after using gyro on other platforms.

Anyone else feel like once you enable gyro on games you kinda can't go back to traditional gamepad?

EDIT: Can admin fix my typo for title please? I can't do it for some reason :|

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I agree. Hopefully the v3 isn't too far away and while I do like gyro I could live without it.

Would be great if they added it though.

Koppelthorn

Banned
This 100x. I don't even have a Series X|S, but when I had a Steam Deck for some time playing modded MGSV with gyro aim among a bunch of other titles completely changed the game. It's so hard to go back to no gyro after that on PS5. Seriously, both the DualSense Edge and Xbox Elite should have system level gyro input, at their price points its criminal that it doesn't offer that.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
The Office No GIF

Banned
gyro won't do anything if developers don't support it tho.

what they should do is improve their controller settings for all controllers

I want negative deadzone settings, and precise reaction curve settings (not the limited presets they currently have).

with these 2 things alone people could literally fix controller issues in many shooters, including RE4, manually without relying on incompetent devs

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
gyro won't do anything if developers don't support it tho.
make it a mandate then :)

it's fucking gyro, it should be simple to implement. If incompetent nintendo can do it any developer can take like a day or so to add it in before release. 1 day of work put in and you get a far better aiming solution than the 20+ year old twin stick solution which has clearly run its course

Last edited:

mako

I wish I had the brain for gyro - I've tried with splatoon but I'm too old to get comfortable with it

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I wish I had the brain for gyro - I've tried with splatoon but I'm too old to get comfortable with it
I haven't tried splatoon, but imo it's the games that just use it for slight adjustments to aiming that make it work. Like astro or horizon. You do like 90% of the aiming the normal way and just slightly move the reticle before the shot.

i've got the perfect controller for you buddy

That was kinda my point. The fact that they can charge that much for a controller missing so much tech, including a rechargeable battery, its ridiculous imo.
They should at least throw in that rechargeable battery they charge extra for.

Hohenheim

I'd be a happy camper if they made V3 so that it actually register every input on the face buttons for a change.

Couldn't care less for gyro, as I use K/M for every game with precision aiming, but for the pricetag these things have, yeah it sure should support stuff like that.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
People actually play shooters with gyro controls? Genuinely curious I didn’t even know this was a thing other than splatoon
I bought Doom specifically for Switch just for gyro. The Nintendo fanbase basically demands it or they wont touch it hardly. It's just superior.

Redfall would go from an average game to just being able to flawlessly, and easily aim with ease - and a lot more fun. Even if just the Xbox 1st party stuff had gyro, that would be enough.

You literally can't even hardly play shooters without massive amounts of auto-aim, because it doesn't work on dual sticks. Gyro is superior.

I doubt people can even play Neon White without gyro, or M/KB.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i understand, my point is they're both old gimmicks
except that it's not a gimmick and it massively changes aiming in games for the better... there's a reason gyro survived whereas no ones been doing that motion swinging trash for over a decade now.

do you honestly think that it's all the same thing??? it clearly isn't & if it was just a gimmick there wouldnt be such a push for it to get supported in more games, afterall gimmicks typically don't get such respect and love from the public

Last edited:

christ

Neo Member
They really should concentrate on making quality controllers without drifting problems or bumpers breaking after six months use.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I bought Doom specifically for Switch just for gyro. The Nintendo fanbase basically demands it or they wont touch it hardly. It's just superior.

Redfall would go from an average game to just being able to flawlessly, and easily aim with ease - and a lot more fun. Even if just the Xbox 1st party stuff had gyro, that would be enough.

You literally can't even hardly play shooters without massive amounts of auto-aim, because it doesn't work on dual sticks. Gyro is superior.

I doubt people can even play Neon White without gyro, or M/KB.

A ton of personal opinion here passed off as facts.

Koppelthorn

Banned
Yes, let's increase the cost of the controller for a feature that only 10 people care about and that developers will use in gimmicky ways.

I'd rather them invest in swapable thumb stick modules or better overall quality that befits a $200 controller.
If I'm not mistaken, both the Xbox Series and PS5 have decent gyros built in. In theory, system level gyro input could be as simple as a firmware update on the console and controller itself. But I would imagine such features would be locked to the higher tier controllers if ever implemented.

Woggleman

I tried gyro in both Days Gone, Elden Ring and TLOU2 and I never enjoyed it. I tend to be fidgety and I felt like slightest movement of my hand would mess up my aim.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yes, let's increase the cost of the controller for a feature that only 10 people care about and that developers will use in gimmicky ways.
the ignorance here is astounding

if people are having positive receptions about it, and people like Nerrel are making whole ass 20 minute videos explaining how to make it work with thousands of views.... it's clearly not a fucking feature 'only 10 people will use'
hell if you enabled it without mentioning that it's motion control, the only difference most people will notice is that their aiming feels more precise

the only reason people like you are against it is because you played the wii and assumed that's how all motion control is like... that's clearly not the case

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If I'm not mistaken, both the Xbox Series and PS5 have decent gyros built in. In theory, system level gyro input could be as simple as a firmware update on the console and controller itself. But I would imagine such features would be locked to the higher tier controllers if ever implemented.
the ps5 has built in gyro, the xbox controller does not. you need an elite controller or a revision for it to be standard

Banned
I haven't tried splatoon, but imo it's the games that just use it for slight adjustments to aiming that make it work. Like astro or horizon. You do like 90% of the aiming the normal way and just slightly move the reticle before the shot.

almost no game uses it for "slight adjustments", YOU can use it that way, but in Horizon for example I almost exclusively used gyro to aim with barely adjusting with the right stick.

Last edited:

Koppelthorn

Banned
the ps5 has built in gyro, the xbox controller does not. you need an elite controller or a revision for it to be standard
Ouch, that sucks for the Xbox crowd. It's a little odd that the PS5 has it, since the amount of developers that implement it is few. But I always loved it as a input method when creating game prototypes.

Makes me wonder if Sony will one day push out an update for system level gyro input, one can dream...

Banned
Ouch, that sucks for the Xbox crowd. It's a little odd that the PS5 has it, since the amount of developers that implement it is few. But I always loved it as a input method when creating game prototypes.

Makes me wonder if Sony will one day push out an update for system level gyro input, one can dream...

system level gyro input wouldn't work well.
that would mean the gyro would emulate a stick, which would feel like ass in anything that doesn't have a low deadzone and a near linrear reaction curve.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
t's a little odd that the PS5 has it, since the amount of developers that implement it is few.
hence why i feel like it should be a mandate ;) as extreme as it is it's the only way we'll ever see any progress in this field... and it's easy to implement and very optional, it seems like a win win situation for me.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
the ignorance here is astounding

if people are having positive receptions about it, and people like Nerrel are making whole ass 20 minute videos explaining how to make it work with thousands of views.... it's clearly not a fucking feature 'only 10 people will use'
hell if you enabled it without mentioning that it's motion control, the only difference most people will notice is that their aiming feels more precise

the only reason people like you are against it is because you played the wii and assumed that's how all motion control is like... that's clearly not the case
Its like talking to d pad enthusiasts trashing analog joysticks. Stone age thinking.

Koppelthorn

Banned
system level gyro input wouldn't work well.
that would mean the gyro would emulate a stick, which would feel like ass in anything that doesn't have a low deadzone and a near linrear reaction curve.
I can't really remember the specifics since it was almost a year ago, but whatever the Steam Deck did for its mouse/joystick gyro input worked beautifully for everything I tried it on. Though that was mostly third person shooters like MGSV and various FPS games. Maybe Valve had some secret sauce I'm not aware of to smooth things out in that regard.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
hence why i feel like it should be a mandate ;) as extreme as it is it's the only way we'll ever see any progress in this field... and it's easy to implement and very optional, it seems like a win win situation for me.
You don't need any mandate. Just first party support, all the time. That's it. Xbox has a lot of first party shooters. If people get accustomed to it, they will demand it from third party and they'll listen. Happened on Nintendo after just Splatoon.

Bethesda already has experience patching gyro on their games on Switch.

Last edited:

Banned
I can't really remember the specifics since it was almost a year ago, but whatever the Steam Deck did for its mouse/joystick gyro input worked beautifully for everything I tried it on. Though that was mostly third person shooters like MGSV and various FPS games. Maybe Valve had some secret sauce I'm not aware of to smooth things out in that regard.

Valve simply emulates a mouse, you can't do that on PS5 because almost no game supports mouse input

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You don't need any mandate. Just first party support, all the time. That's it. Xbox has a lot of first party shooters. If people get accustomed to it, they will demand it from third party and they'll listen. Happened on Nintendo after just Splatoon.
first party isn't it. TLOU2, TLOU part 1, HFW, God of War 18 and Ragnarok support it. Sony clearly knows how to enable it on their first party but devs (besides Epic) aren't listening. when it's so simple to implement, it needs to be enforced.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
first party isn't it. TLOU2, TLOU part 1, HFW, God of War 18 and Ragnarok support it. Sony clearly knows how to enable it on their first party but devs (besides Epic) aren't listening. when it's so simple to implement, it needs to be enforced.
I'm talking about first party shooters. If you think Halo fans getting accustomed to gyro will suddenly just forget about it after they are used to having a competitive advantage, you're wrong. It's not that much of a factor in Sony games, and I don't think it was particularly well done in most of them. Didn't try it in TLOU. Gravity Rush 1 and 2 actually had great gyro.

Top Bottom