• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

Sanpei

This is awesome...

So if i get a game with GWG on x360, i will be able to play it on XBO if it supports...Nice

GAMES with GOLD :D

Get all games including X360 ones :D

Is there a region lock ? Can i use my NTSC game on PAL XBO ?

Bizzquik

They're working on figuring out multiple disc releases like LO and Blue Dragon.

Is this what Phil Spencer told Giant Bomb?
Anyone have a link to the interview? Can't find it on their website.

I hope Microsoft figures out how to make this work for games requiring multiple discs. Having the whole Mass Effect trilogy on my hard drive - with all my purchased 360 DLC, and with no disc swapping - would somewhat make up for EA's indifference towards a proper Remaster.

Figuring out how to make multiple-disc games work probably creates a chance for new digital sales opportunities, too.

Prozel

I was seriously going to sell my Xbone (was very close striking a deal) but that's off. This is game changer for me.

Question is if I should sell my PS4.

Is this what Phil Spencer told Giant Bomb?
Anyone have a link to the interview? Can't find it on their website.

I hope Microsoft figures out how to make this work for games requiring multiple discs. Having the whole Mass Effect trilogy on my hard drive - with all my purchased 360 DLC, and with no disc swapping - would somewhat make up for EA's indifference towards a proper Remaster.

Figuring out how to make multiple-disc games work probably creates a chance for new digital sales opportunities, too.

well, apparently it's not far fetched, just the opposite

Btw Phil told me that he's been emphasizing that games like blue dragon and lost odyssey are also supported and working as expected.

Rad Agast

I'm picking up an Xbox one next month. Was wondering if my NTSC/North American 360 games will work with a European Xbox one. If not, I'll stick with a US one.

Sorry if this has been answered before but it's a huge thread.

I was seriously going to sell my Xbone (was very close striking a deal) but that's off. This is game changer for me.

Question is if I should sell my PS4.

Just have both!

Why sell just look at the announcements the past couple of days you are in for a real treat owning both.

Caayn

Imagine they go deeper and make it backward backward compatible?
38837437a88d44eccc81254ad94bc8648cf045601e855ba3601da5d11a8aed91.jpg

solis74

So i put in the Project Dark Zero disk and tried to install it, but it gave me the message that it was a game not yet supported yet?, i thought it was in the list of 21 preview games that are ready to play?

sangreal

So i put in the Project Dark Zero disk and tried to install it, but it gave me the message that it was a game not yet supported yet?, i thought it was in the list of 21 preview games that are ready to play?

Are you outside the U.S.? Only NA discs currently supported

mike4001_

PAL Disc ?

They are not supported yet (but will be at the official launch)

Wonder if Marvel vs Capcom will ever get supported given the state of that franchise :( i have a copy of UMVC3 and Arcade versions of MVC2 and MVC Origins.

mike4001_

strange, two friends of mine installed ME on their XBOX One, using their PAL discs

Maybe it´s not all games.

But if you look into the official forums there is definitely a problem with PAL discs and they even put it in their FAQ that only North Amiercan discs work at the moment.

But well ... it´s called preview for a reason ;-)

I'm so tempted to pick up an Xbox One.

Outside of Forza, there aren't many—okay, none—exclusives I want to play. But there are a handful of titles I still play on my 360.

I'll need to keep an eye on which third party publishers agree to take part in this.

mike4001_

I'm so tempted to pick up an Xbox One.

Outside of Forza, there aren't many—okay, none—exclusives I want to play. But there are a handful of titles I still play on my 360.

I'll need to keep an eye on which third party publishers agree to take part in this.

Hard to believe that nothing outside of Forza would interest you ;-)

But at least there is Forza 6 and Forza Horizon 2

Just do it => It´s a great system and many more games will come.

Lichter

You have to put a disc-based game to download it or not?

Because I've heard that they let you download the game just by looking to your achievements.

Max_Po

Banned
THis is extremely awesome, and here I was listing my new CoD edition Xbox1 for sale... and worring about getting the cost back.

WIN WIN WIN man... WIN WIN WIN...

Max_Po

Banned
I have most of the game Digitally purchased but they are not showing up.

Example is Banjo Nuts and Bolts...anyone else?

I also have ME digital purchase.... not showing up ..

Cider X

This is some next level black magic. How are they emulating a 3.2 ghz PPC on that slow netbook CPU? Are there any technical articles about this?

sangreal

I have most of the game Digitally purchased but they are not showing up.

Example is Banjo Nuts and Bolts...anyone else?

I also have ME digital purchase.... not showing up ..

You are in the preview, right? Nothing showed up for me at first, I had to just leave it on the ready to install list for a minute

Ratros

This is some next level black magic. How are they emulating a 3.2 ghz PPC on that slow netbook CPU? Are there any technical articles about this?

I am wondering about that too. Maybe it's partly due to the fact that both XBOX360 games and XB1 games use DirectX technologies?

Also I am told that you cannot just insert the disc and play; XB1 will automatically initiate a download, which contains a repacked version of your old XBOX360 game. I guess it implies that the magic behind is not all about emulation...

sangreal

I am wondering about that too. Maybe it's partly due to the fact that both XBOX360 games and XB1 games use DirectX technologies?

Also I am told that you cannot just insert the disc and play; XB1 will automatically initiate a download, which contains a repacked version of your old XBOX360 game. I guess it implies that the magic behind is not all about emulation...

They're repackaged into xbox one games to enable support for the xbox one features. Phil Spencer went into a lot of detail explaining it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjh1Uo_xaSQ&feature=youtu.be&t=11170

It's one emulator for all games though, unlike the OG Xbox emulator on 360

Ichisuke

Neo Member

I'm not an expert at gigaflops, ram stuff or whatever but I'm pretty sure that a processor manufactured back in 2005 can be easily overclassed by something more recent (and more powerful). Plus this is official emulation :)

Top Bottom