• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One blocks used games. Offline Pass confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else read the actual article? It clearly says it's only somewhat confirmed for playing the game installed and without the disc. They didn't say anything about playing the game from the disc.

That's what I said before, it sounds like if you're used to how a used game works now it'll be exactly the same. If you want to install it and play it without the disc you'll need to pay a fee. There isn't really much to freak out about here. I'm wondering what's stopping someone from installing it on one console and then giving it to a friend to play on theirs.

how much is this fee is what would be most interesting now I think people will get over it soon but if Sony copies this later it will suck for a huge number of gamers

Raven77

Depending on what the fee is, it could be ok. $20+$10 fee is still better than $60. Better mean no more Online Pass, though.

Lolol, no no and no.

35 bucks for the USED game then 20 bucks for a fee to play it is "ok"???

You are practically paying the price for it new, even at only a 10 dollar fee.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
No you don't.

THIS SAYS NOTHING ABOUT BLOCKING USED GAMES

This is saying games can install to the system and you will no longer need the disc, meaning you can instantly switch between games you buy. If you want to install it on another console, there is a fee as that naturally means you own the game and can play it whenever.

This thread is kinda insane, there's nothing I'm seeing that says (for now) that you can't just use the disc.
Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.

you can't play from disc.

btkadams

Depending on what the fee is, it could be ok. $20+$10 fee is still better than $60. Better mean no more Online Pass, though.

used games generally aren't that much cheaper than new versions, are they? a $10-$20 upgrade fee could put you at the same price as a new copy.

4ce.gif

I laughed with Cage.

Of course EA got rid of their online pass, becuase MS has implemented a system-wide online pass.

Expect this to be $10-$15. Similarly priced to what curren-gen online passes have been.

Yep, online passes dying was always going to happen when they moved to activation fees/keys.

I don't understand why people are angry, the writing was on the wall when developers started to lock single player content behind online passes.

Why he's laughing? It's coming to PS4. Bank on it.

sahest

Banned
I don't care, used games are a ripoff anyway. I'd rather pirate a game than buy a game $5 cheaper, where all my money goes to Gamestop - either way it hurts the developer.

I'll stick to buying my games new - either when they come out, or discounted a few months down the line.

That said, there was nothing in this reveal that interested me.

Midou

No used games, TV features likely USA only, sports games I don't care about.

I guess if they somehow have some big Mistwalker RPG I'll bite when the system is under $200.

daveo42

Banned
No you don't.

This is saying games can install to the system and you will no longer need the disc, meaning you can instantly switch between games you buy. If you want to install it on another console, there is a fee as that naturally means you own the game and can play it whenever.

This thread is kinda insane, there's nothing I'm seeing that says (for now) that you can't just use the disc.

Wasn't it confirmed that you'd have to install all games on the hdd to play games or was that just a rumor?

you can't play from disc.

Thanks.

Ephemeris

No you don't.

"On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play," a Microsoft representative told Wired.

Sounds mandatory to us that read the article.

Arcteryx

Well that just made my decision a WHOLE lot easier: nextgen = PS4 + PC for me.

Have fun paying double for used/rented games and going through a HUGE hassle when your system breaks down.

megalowho

Damn Microsoft, your big balls are showing

Really want to hear how this gets spun as a good thing for the consumer, if it does at all. Interesting times, folks

I'm not sure why everyone thinks this is a boon for the PS4? Sony is probably going to do the same thing. They've only commented that the PS4 will be able to play used games. They didn't say the PS4 would be able to play used games without paying a fee.

I agree that if Sony doesn't do this the war is over before it began, but I'd bet my foot that they'll be pulling the same bullshit.

Thing is, Steam users buy games when there are amazing deals. I highly doubt you will see the same deals on One.

Yeah, on PC there's no retailer pressure to keep price high. There's some good online stuff on the consoles but it's realistically never going to match Steam, which runs sales much earlier.

Bsigg12

So this is assuming you take the game over, and then remove the disc right? If it's a mandatory install, the initial install gets a key that allows you to play without a disc in the tray, and anything after has to A)keep the disc in the system to play without paying a fee or B)pay the fee to get the key to play the game without the disc in the tray.

That's how I'm seeing it at least.

Jonboy

Honest question that companies like Best Buy, Amazon, and Gamestop really have to consider...do you even stock and carry the Xbox One?

That may sound extreme, but they can make Microsoft's lives far more difficult if they really want to push back on this.

1-D_FTW

As if I wasn't already unimpressed by the whole showing. I thought CoD was the most impressive thing I saw (and I hate CoD). This is the topper on the cake. I really think the year is going to end with me owning none of the next gen systems (unless Sony can show me something in the way of games at E3. I doubt it, though.)

Games have to be installed. They're just trying to make it sound like you have an option.

I understand they have to be installed, I'm just saying as verification (so if you removed the disc and haven't paid the fee or whatever, it would kick you off). On the current Xbox, you can install games, but the disc is still used to verify that you "own" it.

In theory, that's possible on this new Xbox as well.

The PC already does this. People who says they will not buy this system for this should deactivate their Steam accounts.
Pretty much. I suspect Sony (at the behest of publishers) will be doing the same thing. Then what are indignant gamers going to do?

Because it's anti-consumer, and if this becomes a success it sets a nasty precedent for corporate fuckery.
Precedent? PC gaming says hi.

I've never been one to really buy used games in the past. But as I get older and barely play online and have much time to play games, finding a deal has become something I'm more interested in. So used games if I do buy a next gen console would probably be a route I'd entertain more.

Even if I never buy a used game in my life this is such a horseshit anti consumer move and I hope MS are destroyed in the media for this.

The PC already does this. People who says they will not buy this system for this should deactivate their Steam accounts.
You can't be serious.

there's kind of a big difference between buying a physical 60 dollar disc and like a fraction of that for a digital thing. Both psychologically and physically. Physical goods have been resellable for all of eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom