• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Built for the future

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I honestly believe that people would've taken much more positively to this feature if MS hadn't so horribly oversold it. This sounds a lot more reasonable and actually shows up potential and realistic implementations that we could see.

Not garbage about "unlimited power"
There'd still be the pesky detail of how well games would perform when they don't have a constant reliable connection - still gets us into that "online required" argument.

UNCMark

Banned
OK, that Welcome Back screen is much nicer than the one that leaked yesterday for PS4. Loving their new avatars.

Obviously for a fee, but it is MUCH cheaper then if the developer were to create their own dedicated servers.

Most developers don't 'create their own dedicated servers', they get them from their publishers. ( EA, Activision, MS, Sony, Ubi )

The main reason for the skeptism that MS has dedicated servers exclusivity for CoD: Ghost was because the way the language was presented implied that it was Activision's own servers, and not servers rented from MS.

Pretty fast, i love it. But what's this?
Credit to XboxUncut on Reddit.
ibaafNSH2i961d.gif

Last roar? Best name ever lol.

troushers

Higher fidelity game experiences – As I mentioned before, cloud compute can enable developers to offload computations for all sorts of environmental elements. In a typical game development scenario, the game creator needs to balance resource allocation across each area – world management, rendering, controls, networking, lighting, physics, AI, as well as networking and multiplayer.

How can you balance a game without being absolutely sure that the connection is rock solid? I mean, if it isn't an online game, if you're designing a single-player game, you can't assume the cloud will be there when you need it every time. So really, you will have to have some sort of high fidelity cloud / low fidelity local solution.
Also, if I get to a tricky part of the game, I pull my network cable = enemy AI becomes stupid.

For a fee.

Yep, the perception that all of the Dedicated Servers and cloud "Benefits" is FREE, is simply wrong. Microsoft offers them cheaper than most Developers could run them themselves.

ALSO, it is really good to see that the CLOUD IS BACK! It has been a while and I was disappointed to see Microsoft run away from the CLOUD Talk. I am sure all of this is cyclical, and they are just on Round 2 now, going back and reiterating everything they talked about in the beginning, THE CLOUD being one of their first huge advantages over nearly everything.

EDIT: Wait, when did Microsoft Rebrand the cloud as Xbox Live Compute? This is new right? I have never heard of Xbox Live Computer before.

ckohler

No yosp said it has support for up to 4 concurrent logins. Each controller can have a profile attached to it.

That's good. I'm interested in seeing in what way the PS4 UI indicates this. The XB1's method of having their gamer tiles along the top is a pretty elegant solution.

Goku

Banned
Just watched the video and this is the biggest bullshit there is. Microsoft is embarrassing themselves by keep stating that Cloud Computing will improve Xbox gaming while there is no game whatsoever that offloads core parts of the game (graphics or other stuff) now or announced for the Xbox One. This is a scheme, one of the worst I've seen in the gaming industry.

Actually, Respawn is doing some stuff in the cloud like AI.

As for the console itself, I'm really liking it more and more. Loved the SmartGlass DR3 feature.

Giggzy

I personally love the XB1 UI, but I also haven't had any problems with Windows 8 either. I think it looks much more clean and minimalistic compared to what I've seen in the PS4 vids/screens.

My only issue is the hardware and the chaos happening with Microsoft execs right now. It makes me feel uneasy about the future of Xbox. I have both consoles preordered and I still don't know which one I'm going to keep. Gah! This is suppose to be easier as time has gone on!

They aren't really hiding the fact that these are promotional videos though.

The interview style is a good way to get information across.
It just seems silly to me. Just gimme your sales pitch if that's what it's supposed to be. I'd rather they do interviews with impartial journalists instead.

biRdy

What I don't understand is, what happens when you lose connection? Does the game's ai become stupid all of a sudden?

KrAzEd

Banned
What I don't understand is, what happens when you lose connection? Does the game's ai become stupid all of a sudden?

I have a feeling that the cloud benefits will mostly apply to online only games...Titanfall is the perfect example, where the ai is loaded in from the cloud. This could be used for games like Destiny, The Division etc..

I would imagine any game using cloud computing to a large extent would be "online only" anyway. We are starting to see games go this route. i.e. Titanfall.

I think Watch Dogs is online only as well. Am I wrong in that thought?

biRdy

I have a feeling that the cloud benefits will mostly apply to online only games...Titanfall is the perfect example, where the ai is loaded in from the cloud. This could be used for games like Destiny, The Division etc..

That makes more sense

Zornack

I would imagine any game using cloud computing to a large extent would be "online only" anyway. We are starting to see games go this route. i.e. Titanfall.

I think Watch Dogs is online only as well. Am I wrong in that thought?

Not WD but I think The Division is and maybe The Crew.

But no third party online only game is going to make use of cloud computation that wouldn't be available on the PS4 or PC, so I don't get what Microsoft is trumpeting here. Anything interesting from the cloud is either going to be the same on all platforms, only for first select first party titles or dedicated servers.

Malio

Sounds alright, I guess. But let's get to the real issues here....

Will all this help my ads load faster?

Appropriate thread title change.

First title was a little rough.

The video covers a little more than just the cloud.

boi

Neo Member
Actually, Respawn is doing some stuff in the cloud like AI.

So I'm unable to play Titanfall without online connection? No. Do I get a better experience with the cloud this way? Then I can tell you already this stuff isn't marketable at all. No gamer casual or hardcore cares if bots are better with the cloud or not.

Hanmik

"built for the future"... this really makes it sound like Microsoft has a 8+ years life expectancy for the Xbox One..

Mmm, that sign-in screen design is sexy~

I'm not a big fan of the core Metro design ( W8 Start design ), but the highly simplistic 2 panel looks great, more reminiscence of the Swiss Typography Style that Metro is inspired from, rather than the actual Metro design language.

Top Bottom