• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Built for the future

p3tran

Banned
Just curious here Albert, what would be the advantage of not going with yours? Why would they turn down free dedicated servers?
I guess if someone (ea,ubi,etc) has their own servers to use, they are allowed to.

ANYWAY, FREE DEDIS FOR ALL, IS PROBABLY THE BEST NEXTGEN ANNOUNCEMENT YET FOR ONLINE GAMING

as long as a) it is what it sounds it is and b) ms doesnt fuck this up also...

Tycho_b

Just curious here Albert, what would be the advantage of not going with yours? Why would they turn down free dedicated servers?

They might avoid 'free first year' or 'terms have changed' situation. It's free as long as MS keeps them so. So in a sense you're at mercy of a provider.

Bsigg12

Here's hoping for a Xbox Games Store breakdown tomorrow! Having brought in An ex Steam Director in Jason Holtman, maybe the store will be a good thing this time around.

Bsigg12

Here's hoping for a Xbox Games Store breakdown tomorrow! Having brought in An ex Steam Director in Jason Holtman, maybe the store will be a good thing this time around.

obamanotbad.jpg

how long do these "dedicated servers" last though? the entire shelf life of the xbox one?

do we lose data or just access if we go off XBL?

is there a limit to how much data can be used by the dev/user before charges are incurred?

Well, they are not exactly arrays of servers purposed specifically for one task. Azure is actually giant farms of general purpose server arrays that virtualize resources necessary for a particular task. This affords scalable allocation of virtualized server resources for the particular game (i.e., if the game's multiplayer is highly trafficked, then more server resources will be allocated to it; if the game's multiplayer is less trafficked, then less server resources will be allocated to it). In this way, there will be a natural load balancing occurring between the competing game clients that share physical server resources on Azure due to each game's sales lifecycle and waxing and waning of popularity.

Heretic

Still waiting for that magical sentence, Microsoft.

"All games on Xbox One will have dedicated servers."

Point 4 about the geographical adaptability of servers is the most interesting one. Would like to see if there's any tangible, noticeable benefits in regions where server availability is not strong for both Sony and MS.

:D

I must add one thing. As usual, someone asks a question which I didn't consider in my original post. To me, it was assumed, but it may not be assumed to everyone reading.

We provide Dedicated Servers for MULTIPLAYER games. That was implied since we're talking about multi-player gaming, but just in case, I want this on the record :)

Heretic

I was watching that boot up sequence and thought to myself 'Hmm, that seems familiar. Where have I seen those effects used that way before?'

Then it hit me - I've seen them in every sales pitch delivered in PowerPoint when the presenter thinks that to keep people's attention they need to use every single transition animation on every single element on every single slide.

This revolutionary UI is a .ppt file.

Also - cloud schmoud.

Are you fucking serious!?

PRE-ORDER CANCELLED

Atilac

If by some miracle a game is made that relies on cloud computations, what happens to that game when the servers inevitably shut off? I purchased games for my PC on GFWL, I can longer play them when that service shuts off soon, what assurance do I have that the cloud won't have the same fate? and leave me without my property and without a refund?

Well, they are not exactly arrays of servers purposed specifically for one task. Azure is actually giant farms of general purpose server arrays that virtualize resources necessary for a particular task. This affords scalable allocation of virtualized server resources for the particular game (i.e., if the game's multiplayer is highly trafficked, then more server resources will be allocated to it; if the game's multiplayer is less trafficked, then less server resources will be allocated to it). In this way, there will be a natural load balancing occurring between the competing game clients that share physical server resources on Azure due to each game's sales lifecycle and waxing and waning of popularity.

well then calling it "dedicated" is quite misleading no? virtualized is pretty much the opposite of dedicated

well then calling it "dedicated" is quite misleading no? virtualized is pretty much the opposite of dedicated

Not exactly. As long as those physical server resources are locked for the period of time they are demanded by the game client, then they are just as good as a finite allocation of physical servers in a room somewhere explicitly used only for that game.

Azure's ability to dynamically scale allocation of server resources and load balance resource requests amongst their physical server arrays/farms comes down to how well the system is architected.

HelloMeow

I was watching that boot up sequence and thought to myself 'Hmm, that seems familiar. Where have I seen those effects used that way before?'

Then it hit me - I've seen them in every sales pitch delivered in PowerPoint when the presenter thinks that to keep people's attention they need to use every single transition animation on every single element on every single slide.

Also - cloud schmoud.

My god. It's true.

CPgnLA2.gif

kyser73

Wow, what...?

You're comparing the boot up to a PowerPoint presentation?

Also, dedicated servers is a pretty damn big thing for multiplayer games.

It uses the same slide transition & element reveal animations as ppt, sorry but it just does.

I'm not saying it doesn't look slick - it does - I'm just saying it reminds me of a very annoying ppt presentation.

Then call them dedicated servers rather than slapping 'cloud' on it.

Mugatu

Also - cloud schmoud.

I wonder if you can add the screeching tire sound clip to those transitions - every presentation needs at least one screeching tire noise.

2San

I must add one thing. As usual, someone asks a question which I didn't consider in my original post. To me, it was assumed, but it may not be assumed to everyone reading.

We provide Dedicated Servers for MULTIPLAYER games. That was implied since we're talking about multi-player gaming, but just in case, I want this on the record :)
Can you make any statements how long the servers will be provided for a specific online game? Is it 2 years, till the next xbox successor, etc.?

My god. It's true.

CPgnLA2.gif

Also - cloud schmoud.

haaha ... it is kinda true .... but still it is a well done animation in this case.

Issue with animations is that they might be cute at the beginning, but then they become annoying.
however from the gif it seems a rather fast process.

EvB

It uses the same slide transition & element reveal animations as ppt, sorry but it just does.

I'm not saying it doesn't look slick - it does - I'm just saying it reminds me of a very annoying ppt presentation.

Then call them dedicated servers rather than slapping 'cloud' on it.

Not enough checkerboard effect or whizzy particle effect type transitions if you ask me.

how dare anything move!

JaggedSac

Albert, are the dedicated servers free regardless of the amount needed? Or is it an allotment of cloud resources are free and once past that, there is a fee?

And people saying the welcome back sequence is not great looking, are in-friggen-sane. Looks slick as hell.

Mugatu

Albert, are the dedicated servers free regardless of the amount needed? Or is it an allotment of cloud resources are free and once past that, there is a fee?

And people saying the welcome back sequence is not great looking, are in-friggen-sane. Looks slick as hell.

It looks nice once or twice, I think we'll all be sick of seeing it every single time you just want to log in.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Shit...that looks fucking awesome.

I feel so weird typing that. Really loved the look of all that.

BB opened pre-orders again for Xbone today...hmmm.

I'd imagine that the fancy sign-in/bootup/wakeup sequence is also helping to hide the state load. It's a tried and true game development tradition, lol

Hotdamn. As a minimalist whore and graphic design major this feels like such a natural extension of the already-awesome 360 UI. I mean yeah, there's ads, but it doesn't get to me as much as other people. In unrelated news, I've visited Taco Bell recently and didn't get bloody, crippling diarhhea from eating there. I think something might be wrong with me.

Also - cloud schmoud.

holy shit!! Microsoft stole the animations from the people who make powerpoint. That's hilarious!

Jellzy

Neo Member
The last few videos that Microsoft have released have been much better from a PR point of view.

Not a huge fan of Metro but it's looking pretty slick on the One. Transitions aren't as smooth as I'd like though. The slight juddering doesn't appear to be an issue with the video itself so hopefully this can be improved over the next few weeks.

Doffen

Hotdamn. As a minimalist whore and graphic design major this feels like such a natural extension of the already-awesome 360 UI. I mean yeah, there's ads, but it doesn't get to me as much as other people. In unrelated news, I've visited Taco Bell recently and didn't get bloody, crippling diarhhea from eating there. I think something might be wrong with me.

Did you win a PS4? It must be a 50/50 between PS4 and diarrhea these days.

CLEEK

The UI and OS usability/functionality is the one area where I expect Microsoft to excel over Sony.

Thumbs up for snap an app.

I would have agreed with you before Metro/Modern showed that the UX designers at MS are a bunch of chumps. I will never forget my first experience of using Windows 8. It's the very pinnacle of anti-intuitive design. This is not just my personal opinion, but it is shared by respected UX designers. In the console space, navigation of the current 360 dashboard is a slow process, far more so than the XMB. It looks prettier, but form vs function should trump all other concerns. Again, this is just MS shoehorning the Modern UI into every platform, regardless of whether its suitable for it or not.

I boot up my PS3 and with one downwards press of the d-pad, I start browsing my digital games library. You have to jump through a bunch of hoops to do the same thing on the 360, and even then, it's slower to scroll through your entire library.

I can't see the Xbox One being any different, but its too early to see if Sony have bloated the PS4's UI or not. I hope not. The speed and functionality of the XMB has been consistent over the entire life of the PS3 and has been glorious.

Ristlager

Why on earth can't we see this in action? It bogles my mind how Microsoft still have not given us a good REAL presentation of how good the kinect integration is. Stopp talking about this stupid cloud stuff (I can already do 99% of with my PSN+ on PS3) and impress us. It is a month away from launch for gods sake.

I boot up my PS3 and with one downwards press of the d-pad, I start browsing my digital games library. You have to jump through a bunch of hoops to do the same thing on the 360, and even then, it's slower to scroll through your entire library.

"Xbox, go to Collection"

All your games are there. Alternatively,

"Xbox, go to Ryse" (or any other game or app you want to use)

Fastest navigation out there.

Did you win a PS4? It must be a 50/50 between PS4 and diarrhea these days.

I got an offer in the mail to win a free PS4 if I wrote a 5-paragraph essay on GAF detailing why jaggies, screen tearing, vsync and traditional game design were all adequate reasons to tip under 20%, never do cardio or drink milk (it kills your gains), get boners around attractive women (but not ones that are uncut), and kill the pets of any Microsoft supporters. The instructions weren't clear enough so I just ended up asking GAF what a 'doge' was.

The place that sent the offer just ended up mailing me a copy of TitanFall for 3DS.

Top Bottom