• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Dashboard Leak - Version 2

EvB

Not that I can recall.

Really? Cause I could hit the PS button on my controller and bring up the XMB. I could press the guide button on my 360 and bring up the mini dash.

And what happened when you tried to get to certain services?
It wouldn't let you access them and you'd have to back out to the real dashboard, that won't be the case this time. There is going to be no diminished features when you are playing a game.

I do like avatars :/

Image00004.gif

lol, jk

Looks like the ads have been pushed to the far right while the left screens display mainly console options. Better than their current arrangement.

Pins are on the left side. They are user-defined so you can personalize what games/features/apps you want quick access to. Sort of like Windows Phone and Windows 8.

Same reason I prefer to use touch tone rather than speaking instructions. the amount of work required to provide clear instructions and waiting for feedback that my instructions werent clear is more time than me going to look for Fez in games.

I'm not sure how much more clear "Xbox Bing Fez" could be. It takes 2 seconds for the download page to come up. It works incredibly well with the current Kinect. It doesn't do a direct translation, it searches available content for the closest match. So unless a game comes out called Zonic the Fedghog, it's unlikely that it'll interpret your speech wrong most of the time. If you search for Zonic the Fedghog today, it's likely Sonic The Hedgehog will come up because, like I said, it's searching for the closest match not literally trying to interpret your speech letter for letter.

One thing that always bothered me on 360 kinect was the 'Say what you see' feature.
Really hope with new kinect you can just say, Xbox Launch Ryse and it will just launch from anywhere.

FINALBOSS

Banned
And what happened when you tried to get to certain services?
It wouldn't let you access them and you'd have to back out to the real dashboard, that won't be the case this time. There is going to be no diminished features when you are playing a game.

EXACTLY WHAT WE'RE SAYING.

All he did was pull up the dashboard. He didn't access any of those services.

Hence, it wasn't multitasking.

That was the funniest thing about this 'leak'. Casually promoting Bing, instead of anything else, lol. My gut is telling me this is definitely not a conventional leak, but an honest attempt by MS to show how the UI really works, no strings attached, so we won't see hundreds of "this is not real time!" comments.

Oh come on, "Casually promoting Bing, instead of anything else"
What else is there in that section? All of those apps where he is looking is a base Xbox One app or a Microsoft app. There is nothing else.

"Bing's garbage" Yep, definitely casually promoting.

To have playable software, a finalized XB1, and understanding of current level of progress of both games and OS, he must have connections to MS, and he wouldn't be stupid enough to upload a video with his face and name on youtube. Regardless, I admire MS trying to really hit home the "look, our UI is really functional" message. For that alone, I commend this video.
Or he is a teenager with a parent who works at Microsoft, he has a pre-launch Xbox One at home, and wants attention.
Plus, there are plenty of bugs in that footage. Dashboard doesn't come up after he pushes the button. Ryse stutters in constrained mode.
Why would they leak this when instead they could just show a demo of it?

Bgamer90

Banned
Same reason I prefer to use touch tone rather than speaking instructions. the amount of work required to provide clear instructions and waiting for feedback that my instructions werent clear is more time than me going to look for Fez in games.

It takes no more than 5 seconds to look for something on the Xbox via Bing voice.

It's simple. It's no where near as complicated as you're making it out to be.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
EXACTLY WHAT WE'RE SAYING.

All he did was pull up the dashboard. He didn't access any of those services.

Hence, it wasn't multitasking.

Exactly. I have no doubt multitasking is in there but I just want to SEEEEEE it functioning. Pulling up a dash is fine and dandy but show me the goods.

EvB

One thing that always bothered me on 360 kinect was the 'Say what you see' feature.
Really hope with new kinect you can just say, Xbox Launch Ryse and it will just launch from anywhere.

Yeah, that's the biggest thing I'm looking for right now, using the Bing voice search (if you live in a country that supports it) can be a good way to get to a specific game or show or film, but it still requires you to make 3 or 4 voice commands more than I would like.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
UI designed for tablets being shoved into a console. If you want to sell me a PC for my living room just make the damn thing a PC.

It's actually a very console optimized interface... And I hate win8 metro probably more than anyone on this forum

More color variation would be nice (hope we can modify that)

def sim

Not a fan of the Windows 8 interface. It's cool that you can do stuff while waiting for a match or something. But that's something I'm probably not going to use, I don't think it's possible to do something productive while waiting for 2 mins.

The aim isn't to do something productive when playing video games, right? On my computer, I alt-tab out to check facebook, twitter, or neogaf during loading/transitional screens. It's certainly a nice ability to have.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Exactly. I have no doubt multitasking is in there but I just want to SEEEEEE it functioning. Pulling up a dash is fine and dandy but show me the goods.

Technically, pulling up a dash while the game is still running is already multitasking. Nothing relevant really distinguishes a "dash app" from an actual application spawned by the dash.

kurbaan

Banned
That's kinda the thing.

We haven't SEEN any of the snap features since the initial reveal.

Well we have not seen any UI since then. It doesn't mean its not there apparently major nelson is doing some a UI walk-through so instead of jumping to conclusions we should just wait for that.

BTW a lot of you guys should read this, they demoed multitasking and voice stuff at Gamescom the other day:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-what-the-xbox-one-dash-means-for-gamers

Voice control on Xbox One actually works and it seems to be genuinely useful.

Xbox snap upload. And now the upload app is snapped to the side of the game. I'm still playing and I can actually go and set-up a manual record session recording up to five minutes of gameplay

"We have a very small operating system layer that's just the code, we have what we call the application layer so that the applications in the OS run independently of the games, That's why you can do Snap and that's why I can switch independently between apps without affecting the game performance. The game gets the vast majority of resources for the console. The OS and applications run in a totally different part and they don't affect each other. Two games can't run simultaneously because they take up the bulk of the resources. So when I start a new game I have to unload the old game and load the new game, but I can still have up to four applications running in the background. That was instantly switching, as you were seeing."

KoopaTheCasual

Oh come on, "Casually promoting Bing, instead of anything else"
What else is there in that section? All of those apps where he is looking is a base Xbox One app or a Microsoft app. There is nothing else.

"Bing's garbage" Yep, definitely casually promoting.

Or he is a teenager with a parent who works at Microsoft, he has a pre-launch Xbox One at home, and wants attention.
Plus, there are plenty of bugs in that footage. Dashboard doesn't come up after he pushes the button. Ryse stutters in constrained mode.
Why would they leak this when instead they could just show a demo of it?

Let me know when this "leaked" footage gets pulled down...

FINALBOSS

Banned
Well we have not seen any UI since then. It doesn't mean its not there apparently major nelson is doing some a UI walk-through so instead of jumping to conclusions we should just wait for that.

Oh no doubts.

I'm not here to say that it doesn't exist or that it won't be there. I just find it kind of odd that we haven't seen any of this stuff since the reveal.

casmith07

The irony of this shot saying "Press A" instead of press start or any button or something is pretty funny.

Interface looks good. Looks like both consoles are going for that "window pane" kind of interface.

Dear Microsoft, get rid of "Metro"

Why would they? It has gotten a considerable amount of praise. Almost any and all criticism is aimed at it's unnecessary functionality on a desktop PC; not a criticism that carries over to a console (or a tablet/phone). That's not to say you have to like the design, but many people do on the right device. Some people seem to be confusing criticisms of Metro's implementation on a desktop with Metro as a design language.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Technically, pulling up a dash while the game is still running is already multitasking. Nothing relevant really distinguishes a "dash app" from an actual application spawned by the dash.

I feel like we are just going around in circles now.

I am just going to drop it.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
That doesn't mean anything, maybe they just don't give a shit?

Yep. In addition, methodically taking down such videos would just lead to bad publicity. People would already have seen/copied them, and declare that Microsoft wants to hide development problems with the UI. Leaving them up, on the other hand, just brings some minor, nice attention like this thread.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I actually quite like Bing. I think some of the ways it displays info have influenced Google positively.

EvB

The irony of this shot saying "Press A" instead of press start or any button or something is pretty funny.

Interface looks good. Looks like both consoles are going for that "window pane" kind of interface.

There isn't a start button anymore.

Really? Cause I could hit the PS button on my controller and bring up the XMB. I could press the guide button on my 360 and bring up the mini dash.

You had to the quit the whole game if you wanted to get back to the full home screen though. Now you can have the full dash running at the same time as the game.

MCD

I actually quite like Bing. I think some of the ways it displays info have influenced Google positively.

Bing on mobile and Xbox is great. I mean, on Xbox, I just use it to quickly find X game.

Bing on web is terrible because most of my searches tend to be technical and that's where it fails horribly.

KoopaTheCasual

That doesn't mean anything, maybe they just don't give a shit?
These two videos of the UI haven't been taken down yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofHr3jmQWdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRRV-UWtsew

Is this not a public event in the links you just posted? Are these not from Gamescom? That's not even close to someone having a retail kit at home, without supervision, and just going through unlocked features on his own. And again, how would this 'teenager' get access to this stuff without seriously endangering the job of his parents? It goes against logic. I don't understand why you're arguing with me, when the result is the same either way. It's just demoing the UI running in real time in a home setting.

EDIT: I don't think people realize exactly how easy it is to pull unwanted footage off Youtube, today. It's literally a press of the button. One think that sends off a red flag, is when a leak is using the most popular video sharing site in the entire world. All legitimate video leaks I've seen recently, are either shared person to person, through mega.nz, mediafire, youku, or some other really poorly moderated site. Like I said nothing wrong with this not being an actual leak, but I'm not gonna be that gullible.

Looks really plain and boring. It's just a bunch of green boxes. I guess we'll need to see more of it when ms is ready to show it off fully featured.

I just don't like the idea of having tons of boxes that are apps that MS have a hard on for similar to windows 8.

Xater

I think it is kinda weird that the game continues playing when he goes back to the dash. I would hope my game pauses so i don't miss anything. Kinda like the Vita does it. I still see where I left off but the doesn't run in the background. maybe there will be an option to set something like that.

timlot

Banned

I kind of like Bing too. I use Chrome though so is just works better with google, but when I get the urge to do a "play around search" I go to bing and it works just fine.

Top Bottom