• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One gets external storage, real name support, auto-sign in w/June system update

Dabanton

What media box is it

Just one of these. It's nice and small and I just have it sitting beside my XB1.

designer-habitat-nanodbrs6.jpg

185349_detailedj1sq1vmsci.jpg

The best thing for me is because it's going through the XB1 it plays out 5.1 sound. It's a nice solution to streaming for me as it's plug and play. As no way will MS or Sony ever allow MKV's to be played native on their consoles.

Good stuff. Having the HDD non-replaceable is nothing but a scam this day and age.

Well, it's not like the PS4 has ever been stuck with a default HDD though. It was user-replaceable since launch last I recall.

Externals are a lot cheaper though, so it's by far a better solution.
A competitive edge though? What does that even mean?

I bet he's putting in some crazy hours, what with designing and writing every word of code himself.

Not just because its cheaper, but you take the Hdd out and you basically remove 500GB of data that you now have to transfer to the new, say 1TB drive, and on top of that hassle, it becomes only 500GB of added storage as opposed to adding a full TB.

Adding external storage is a much easier and beneficial advantage, such as hot swapping, adding more than one drive, and even taking it with you to a friends house. Win win in every aspect that I can think of.

airborn

Whats wrong with the language settings? (Genuinely not sure)
Language and billing region are seen as one. There's no mix-and-match option.

If you want to play your games in English or want an English Dashboard, but are living in a non-English country, you are forced to change your billion region (online store).

Adding external storage is a much easier and beneficial advantage, such as hot swapping, adding more than one drive, and even taking it with you to a friends house. Win win in every aspect that I can think of.

And this allow to have a third or even a fourth hard drive, unplug any off the two plugged drives and plug the third one, more games! and you can back to the unplugged drive. As you said, win-win in every aspect.

EDIT: It looks like 16TB is the max size per drive, due the NTFS limitations. Then, you can have up to 32TB at the same time.

Lkr

part of me wishes they included a DTV tuner on it so you could get live TV on it through that. i don't personally see how the TV stuff is useful in anyway though. as a prospective buyer, could someone explain why the TV on it is useful?

sangreal

part of me wishes they included a DTV tuner on it so you could get live TV on it through that. i don't personally see how the TV stuff is useful in anyway though. as a prospective buyer, could someone explain why the TV on it is useful?

I like to watch sports in a window while I grind away at collectathons

it's also nice to get notifications and stuff while watching tv, though you can do that w/ smartglass anyway

I love to watch TV while doing a Skype videocall.

After this update I wonder what they can do next.
The one major area left, IMO, is media playback/streaming. You can't store files on the internal hard drive. You can't play back music/videos from an external drive. You can only stream videos from a PC if you use "Play To", which is weak.

I suspect (or at least, I hope!) we'll see them address that next, now that the major gaming stuff is out of the way. They seem to have prioritised things best on most requested gaming features, but better media functionality is the one thing left that a lot of people are talking about on the Xbox forums. The one major thing anyway.

Kssio_Aug

Yay! I pratically just bought my Xbox One! =)
I already ordered it on the store, but will have to pay it monday on the bank!

Yep really want re arranging pins next. Getting tired of constantly moving things to the front to get the arrangement I want.

Also, can I have my Xbox jewel on my controller flash to let me know the battery is dying? Flash slowly to begin with which tells me there is about 10 minutes left and then flash really fast at the one minute mark.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
The one major area left, IMO, is media playback/streaming. You can't store files on the internal hard drive. You can't play back music/videos from an external drive. You can only stream videos from a PC if you use "Play To", which is weak.

I suspect (or at least, I hope!) we'll see them address that next, now that the major gaming stuff is out of the way. They seem to have prioritised things best on most requested gaming features, but better media functionality is the one thing left that a lot of people are talking about on the Xbox forums. The one major thing anyway.

If you have an android phone Allcast will stream to it.

EvB

I was playing a game with the TV snapped on the side of the screen the other day, whilst my girlfriend read a book and watched the Tv at the same time.

I spend more time gaming than I do watching TV and my gaming revolves around my other gaming friends, so being able to switch between friends list/tv/games etc with ease has proved to be really neat so far.

It feels really backwards that I can't do the same with my other machines

malfcn

I don't pay for cable, so I can't comment on the live tv part. But we use the tv everyday for Hulu or Netflix. It is sometimes used in snap mode, but the problem sometimes comes down to the sound mix etc. Still love the feature.

Thankfully I am not a videophile, because I have heard some people complain about the pq/iq and sound being effected. Either because of the HDMI pass through, or because they have the settings for gaming, that don't work as well for cinema.

It's not a perfect solution, AIO. But it is damn good and works for me.

klodeckel

Banned
That first step would be absolutely useless. Why would you want to hold it down when you can easily just tap it and just about everything is on the dash by default. You can see most of it just in that pic. There is no need to slow it down.
Precisely not. But good that you mention this. Except the friend list tile, every single tile and basic system functions can always be on a different place at your home screen (dependent on the order you opened them). The only way to prevent this is to misuse the "My Pins" feature - and even that way isn't quite comfortable.

The solution mentioned in the picture should be easy to implement and the user knows that he will find the basic features always at the same place.

This idea is also awesome btw (Xbox Minis).

klodeckel

Banned
It looks like preview beta will come "very soon"...

Some more details:
Xbox.com Beta Forums said:
Hi all!
We know since Wednesday's announcement of the June update that you are all very excited to get to see these new features in action, and we're working hard to deliver! While I can't say a specific time, I can tell you we will have this update ready for you to preview very soon.
With that in mind, we thought you might like to get ready for one of the coolest features of the June update: External Storage. If you've been holding off to pick up a drive, don't delay!

Just make sure you pick up a hard drive that meets the following requirements:
- Must be USB 3.0
- At least 256GB in size

Some other notes to keep in mind:
- You can connect up to two external hard drives at once, and we encourage those of you who want to try this and have two hard drives to do so!

- Your external hard drive can be powered by either an AC Adapter or straight from USB

That's it! Hopefully you'll be ready to plug in a drive as soon as the update is released for preview, and start installing ALL the things!

We'll let you know the moment we are ready to kick off this preview for you, but until then - Game on! :)

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_early_a...view_forums/wave_3_1405/f/4756/t/1759357.aspx

Maybe tomorrow ... :)

Lima

How is the performance of SSHD compared to SSD?

load1.png

This is from the PS4. It's by far the best speed/price ratio as SSD prices are still insane.

I guess since you can move stuff around you could also get a big 5200rpm external from seagate or western digital and put a say 250 or 500gb SSD in an external casing and always move the games you are actively playing on it like some people do on PC.

The Flash

Banned
And if you have a Windows phone, you can use myMediaHub. You can pick up serviio files with it, then send it to Xbox One. Works really well.

SWEET

Dead Rising 3 is for sure! The other one however, I'm still deciding. Wont take Forza 5 however because I dont like simulators, I would be more happy with Forza Horizon! =)

Give Killer Instinct a try. It's got an amazing training mode if you're not someone who plays fighting games.

Kssio_Aug

Give Killer Instinct a try. It's got an amazing training mode if you're not someone who plays fighting games.

Yeah! Sure!
But how is it on the controller itself? Im really bad at fighting games, but one thing that always kept me way of trying is that theyre usually made to play with a arcade controller.

But that one is free to play, right? (with 1 fighter at least)

The Flash

Banned
Yeah! Sure!
But how is it on the controller itself? Im really bad at fighting games, but one thing that always kept me way of trying is that theyre usually made to play with a arcade controller.

But that one is free to play, right? (with 1 fighter at least)

I can't speak for controller vs arcade stick but people who use arcade sticks say that the game plays fine without one. The free character rotates every week. Jago and Sabrewulf are the easiest to use. Spinal, Fulgore, and Glacius are the hardest to use.

Kssio_Aug

I can't speak for controller vs arcade stick but people who use arcade sticks say that the game plays fine without one. The free character rotates every week. Jago and Sabrewulf are the easiest to use. Spinal, Fulgore, and Glacius are the hardest to use.

Ok! Thanks for the tips! =)
Im definitely gonna try this one!

MrBenchmark

There was a live webcast for Xbox ambassadors tonight.

Most info was just a recap of what to expect in the June update.

Biggest thing answered was about external storage.

External drives must be USB 3.0 powered or USB powered.
Two external drives are supported at the same time plus the internal drive with a maximum of 32.5TB max!

Data can be moved between any of the drives and used on any Xbox one once you sign in on that Xbox.

Kssio_Aug

I have a PS4 and one thing I notice when I see this Xbox One update, and now that video, is how Sony is really getting behind on the system aspect. That "real name share" stuff is on PS4 since day one, but it looks like that what MS just added on Xbox One is already more functional (allowing you to select many friends at once, and in a more simple way).

I hope Sony is really taking in consideration all the feedback on their blog to update their system, there are plenty of things they need to update too.

I have a PS4 and one thing I notice when I see this Xbox One update, and now that video, is how Sony is really getting behind on the system aspect. That "real name share" stuff is on PS4 since day one, but it looks like that what MS just added on Xbox One is already more functional (allowing you to select many friends at once, and in a more simple way).

I hope Sony is really taking in consideration all the feedback on their blog to update their system, there are plenty of things they need to update too.

I have a feeling this gen is going to be very similar to last gen in regards to firmware. The XB1 already offers a more full featured experience, and they're adding features at a much faster pace than Sony.

Top Bottom