• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One(Not Series X) not turning on and power brick light stuck on orange. Anyone go through this who found a fix?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
A friend of mine has been dealing with this issue. He's not tech savvy, so he called me over, and I dropped by to try and fix it for him. I tried all the usual stuff... unplugging it waiting a while, plugging it back in. Make sure connections were secure. Trying hard reset. Holding in 3 buttons on the console in together. None of it worked. I googled and tried at least 5 methods that came up on google and Youtube. None of those worked either.

The console makes a sound when you press the console power on button, but doesn't turn on and the power brick light is stuck on orange which apparently means is stuck on standby. Not sure why it doesn't work, he's had it in storage for a while and hasn't used it in a year or so. Last time he used it, it worked fine.

He doesn't have a lot of money, so he can't afford a new console. Even if he could, he could maybe barely afford a Series S, but all of his games are disc, so he couldn't afford to rebuy his entire collection again digitally on top of it. I'm not sure if Microsoft support still offers replacement power supplies for the Xbox One because it's from so long ago. Does anyone know if they do? If not, would have to find a used one somewhere which may or may not work.

In the mean time, I want to see if I can find a fix and curious if anyone offered any solutions. Tried one that recommended inserting a disc, that didn't work. Plugging the power cord back into the power brick, while it was still plugged into the wall until it made that crackle sound... that didn't work. I did this last of all the methods because it seemed unsafe, but an MS support person on Microsoft's website recommended it. Didn't work. It might just be dead, but want to exhaust all possibilities before I try and help him order a replacement power supply.

The Xbox One power supply orange light means the machine is on standby. It's not receiving sufficient power, so you won't be able to turn it on. To fix this problem, you should unplug the power supply and wait for ten FULL minutes. This should reset the power supply.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The Xbox One power supply orange light means the machine is on standby. It's not receiving sufficient power, so you won't be able to turn it on. To fix this problem, you should unplug the power supply and wait for ten FULL minutes. This should reset the power supply.
Tried that. Unplugged it for for longer than 10 minutes. Hours. It didn’t do anything.

Rockondevil

Yeah my power brick on mine died a year or so ago and was very upsetting.
I only found knock off bricks online and the reviews didn't look like they are too safe so I ended up just getting a One S at the time.

Banned
I had a similar issue with my Xbox 360 brick.

how I fixed it was first unplugging everything, then plugging in the Power Supply only, and after a minute plugging the power supply into the 360

CeeJay

Is the turn on sound a bit quieter, muted? I had this, bought a knock off (but still quite expensive) replacement power brick which brought the Xbox back to life. Although the power brick was supposed to be a silent one it wasn't, noisy as fuck. In the end I just bought a proper Microsoft part which was as good as the original.

DaGwaphics

At least the power brick light isn't red, but I'd try another one for sure. Does he know anyone with a working unit?

nush

The console makes a sound when you press the console power on button, but doesn't turn on and the power brick light is stuck on orange which apparently means is stuck on standby. Not sure why it doesn't work, he's had it in storage for a while and hasn't used it in a year or so. Last time he used it, it worked fine.

This is probably the cause, maybe the storage conditions were not so good and some capacitors have gone bad, or there some corrosion on the power connector so give that a clean.

This happened to me with a og One that was gifted to me by my roommate at the time, and the 3rd party power brick worked without issue till I sold it at gameslop some 3yrs later.

Top Bottom