• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Price To Go Back Up - Last Chance for $350

its was going for $349 with a game this year, and you think a $50 deduction a year later is far fetched?

If yes, then I think your the one dreaming.

You make it sound like the 349 thing wasn't an act of desperation. It's all about how comfortable they feel. They won't do 299 unless there's a really good reason for it.

Chobel

Missing sales projections and under-performing is quite different than "selling very poorly", as at least one person in this thread has gleefully claimed.

I can't say SO is "selling very poorly" for sure, but the evidence in front of us (Charts, leaks, anecdotes) suggest that SO is not doing that well in UK/US and it's selling "at least poorly" in Japan and rest of Europe.

You could argue that we don't have Digital sales, but the latest data suggests that digital represents now 20%-30% of total sales, (30% is for games with heavy push for digital like Destiny). And with physical sales not looking hot, So I just don't see how digital sales are going to change that.

P.S. We don't know the internal expectations and budget of the game, so the game may be profitable and doing well at least MS/Insomniac.

I can't say SO is "selling very poorly" for sure, but the evidence in front of us (Charts, leaks, anecdotes) suggest that SO is not doing that well in UK/US and it's selling "at least poorly" in Japan and rest of Europe.

You could argue that we don't have Digital sales, but the latest data suggests that digital represents now 20%-30% of total sales, (30% is for games with heavy push for digital like Destiny). And with physical sales not looking hot, So I just don't see how digital sales are going to change that.

P.S. We don't know the internal expectations and budget of the game, so the game may be profitable and doing well at least MS/Insomniac.

I would go as far to say the game was at least marginally profitable for them, even if it didn't break any sales records or exceed expectations.

Derpyduck

Banned
Supposedly today it went back to $399.

edit: a quick check at Amazon and Walmart.com still has it at $350. Maybe tomorrow?

I imagine it won't change until 3:00am Eastern (midnight west coast). Amazon sometimes takes a half day or so to change prices. They removed the extra 50 dollars in store credit from the product description earlier today but are still giving it at checkout.

EatMyFace

Banned
I can't believe Microsoft is actually going through with this. Price advantage is the biggest reason they won this holiday. It sure wasn't MCC or AC Unity.

They know putting the price back up will see them back to 2nd place. I can't believe they would willingly give up while they're in the lead. Maybe a plain Xbox One with no Kinect or game will stay at $350?
Due to overwhelming demand.

I can't believe Microsoft is actually going through with this. Price advantage is the biggest reason they won this holiday. It sure wasn't MCC or AC Unity.

They know putting the price back up will see them back to 2nd place. I can't believe they would willingly give up while they're in the lead. Maybe a plain Xbox One with no Kinect or game will stay at $350?
Due to overwhelming demand.

They can't lose money by selling 350$ and 2 games free which is 100$ loss in value. Also their first half is empty with exclusives where PS4 got strong ones and multi platform superiority. Lets see how its going to turn out for the next 6 months.

synce

I don't think MS is losing money by selling it at $350. It's not exactly the latest cutting edge hardware

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
$350 in and of itself seems easy to hit at this point with that hardware and no loss. Adding in games gets tricky, but no reason they couldn't throw in a launch 1st party game that probably isn't gonna really be a money negative like Forza 5.

I don't think MS is losing money by selling it at $350. It's not exactly the latest cutting edge hardware

They are using DDR3 and ESRAM with complicated chip design. Soon DDR3 is being replaced by DDR4 so its not going to cheap for them. Also 350$ is retail price but not the price given to Distributors.

If that teardown by AllThingsD was correct in 2013, then the Xbox One costs $396 to manufacture (it was $471 with the Kinect), but who knows if they got manufacturing costs down. $350 seems like they'd lose money imo.

DDR3 price tend to increase, since production volumes for this now old memory are decreasing, or will soon be.

I don't know if MS selling at 349 is losing money. Probably if they bundle a pair of high-demand games with it. But I'm pretty sure that the PS4 production cost is dropping faster than the Xbox One production cost, bacause of RAM and CPU choices. So if Sony ever decide to be agressive on prices to deny MS market shares, they can force MS to sell at a loss.

NolbertoS

Its a great marketing tactic that MS is pushing. Even if they raise the price, watch them announce new base and bundle prices within a month. I'm willing to wait till next Black Friday for $299.99 Xbox One with Kinect. It'll eventually happen, just gotta be patient.

BokehKing

Banned
So why sell it initially at $500?
Kinnect?
I said it in the other thread
They should sell the Kinnect bundle at $400
Stick to your damn vision, your operating system revolves around it, just... Damn...

Again, I'm like the only guy that liked the mattrick digital vision

jelly

The APU is actually more expensive than the PS4 one and DDR3 is looking to be a problem going forward, Microsoft are actually looking into DDR4 just to save cost.

kitch9

Banned
MS knows when to hold them and knows when to fold them.

I'd say what they are doing currently indicates the exact opposite of that.

The APU is actually more expensive than the PS4 one and DDR3 is looking to be a problem going forward, Microsoft are actually looking into DDR4 just to save cost.

Its quite impressive how they managed to cock that up so bad. Surely someone must have hinted that DDR3 could go EOL during the life of the console? All this mess over them thinking TV you can wave and talk to would be the next big thing.

What were they thinking, jesus.

Top Bottom