• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Am_I_Evil

Only happens when the XBox is set to 4K. 1080p is fine and what I currently have it set to. Zero issues on 1080p.
And yep, you just explained the issue exactly. I even made a video of it to share on YouTube so people could see what I was seeing.
I think it is just the signal itself, as when it happens, it is already on 4k, it just blacks out and goes to 4k again.
So (certain) Vizio models have a problem with maintaining the 4K signal from 4K components. All signs point towards it has to do with the bandwidth issue I mentioned above. HDMI 2.0 should support up to 18 Gbps. For some reason the Vizio's does not, and only supports 10 Gbps.

So if we apply this to what we know about transfer rates, the analogy that can be used is the stream (in this case the signal from the One S) is just dropping out as the transfer rate from the One S (and Roku 4, etc.) is too fast for the VIzio's port to process. And the quick blackout occurs until the stream catches up again. Note the audio never drops, just the video, which would take up the majority of the bandwidth.

Simply put, it sounds like Vizio may have cut some corners with the hardware they chose to use in certain models and the specifications of the HDMI port are not up to par with modern day specifications as it should be.

this is also happening to me with my XBOX One S on my Vizio M55-D0...looks like i may need to call vizio today...drops to black with no way around it...i've tried numerous HDMI cables (but seriously, shouldn't the one with the XBOX be good enough) to no avail...

this is also happening to me with my XBOX One S on my Vizio M55-D0...looks like i may need to call vizio today...drops to black with no way around it...i've tried numerous HDMI cables (but seriously, shouldn't the one with the XBOX be good enough) to no avail...

Did you allow it to set up 4k automatically or did you go in settings and change anything? Also, are you using the hdmi in for tv?

Am_I_Evil

Did you allow it to set up 4k automatically or did you go in settings and change anything? Also, are you using the hdmi in for tv?

let it set up itself and then checked all the settings...its HDMI-1 and subsampling is on...i am not using the HDMI in currently (i was the first night)

let it set up itself and then checked all the settings...its HDMI-1 and subsampling is on...i am not using the HDMI in currently (i was the first night)

I have a feeling it could be something with the hdmi in. Is there a way you could reset it and not have anything going in the hdmi in to test it?

Cartman86

Banned
Anyone not been able to register their Xbox One S for the Kinect cable? I get an error that they are alerting someone to fix the issue.

Am_I_Evil

Anyone not been able to register their Xbox One S for the Kinect cable? I get an error that they are alerting someone to fix the issue.

is there somewhere to do it online?

I just registered the One S (already had my regular One & Kinect registered) and called in yesterday...had tracking by the end of the day yesterday and am getting it tomorrow...it shipped FedEX 2-day.

is there somewhere to do it online?

I just registered the One S (already had my regular One & Kinect registered) and called in yesterday...had tracking by the end of the day yesterday and am getting it tomorrow...it shipped FedEX 2-day.

You have to contact Xbox support to do it once your One S is registered, I did it via chat. They have info about that on the support page.

My adapter shipped a few days ago, which was a 3 or 4 days after I contacted support.

DirtyLarry

Damn. Sorry to hear that.
I will know a week from tomorrow if the replacement Vizio is offering is will fix the issue or not.
I have a feeling it could be something with the hdmi in. Is there a way you could reset it and not have anything going in the hdmi in to test it?
Solid theory. However thinking about it some more, I do not believe this is a reason anymore myself. I know I said I could not help but notice people having the issue were using the One Guide and Live TV, however now I believe it is irrelevant. Unfortunately I believe I have a very good reason as to why as well. I have (and have had before getting the S) the same exact issue with my Roku 4. And it is also only when it is set to 4K.

So I do believe it is the Vizio TV's, themselves and because I believe this and I know it is not all TV's thanks to you and XBudz, I am pretty certain it could have been a manufacturing issue. Companies can and do often change components providers. Hell, it could have been the same provider but an issue at the factory itself with a certain batch that appeared to be working but was actually not.

Simply put, it could have been a combination of not the best quality control and you get what you pay for. Because let's face it. I know I purchased a Vizio myself as it was not only well reviewed, but it was less expensive. Also truth is when they came out there were not a whole lot of external components like the One S and Roku 4 doing 60hz 4K signals, and the ones that were available were more expensive external Blu Ray players that not a lot of people owned and or were doing 4k 30hz. So from that perspective as well it would make sense we did not hear much about the issue until these past couple of months.

golem

I just talked to chat, didnt need to register anything on the site. Gave them my old SN and new one and they approved it

Norse

Just got an email from Costco .... Up to 400$ off vizio 4k sets...80,70&50 m series and few of the D series. The M series have hdr but the D series don't.....the 50" m50 is $679us with free shipping.

Just bought the 1TB model today, love the design of the system and feel of the controller. I found it amusing that it took half an hour before you really took control of anything. System update, ridiculous montage video with generic rock music that's unskippable, then controller update.

WadeitOut

The stuff was down for a day. The person I talked to in chat couldn't even do it internally. It should be back up now though. I couldn't even register my console.

ridiculous montage video with generic rock music that's unskippable, then controller update.

Not only is that video skippable by hitting the home button, but the controller update doesn't have to be done then.

gamz

Just bought the 1TB model today, love the design of the system and feel of the controller. I found it amusing that it took half an hour before you really took control of anything. System update, ridiculous montage video with generic rock music that's unskippable, then controller update.

Relax....Enjoy the show bro.

Anyone else having issues with HDR? My father bought one mainly to use as a 4k bluray player. He said when he turned HDR on, he couldn't play movies. The TV would tell him there was no signal.

He has a Samsung KS8000, and we've watched movies on it with my Samsung 4k player no problem. With the HDR setting on the TV off, the XOne works fine, if he turns HDR on, he gets no signal from the XOne. Seems pretty weird. Microsoft told him to return it, so Amazon is sending a replacement on Friday.

Norse

It sure would be nice if TV manufacturers would make all the HDMI ports hdr enabled so people wouldn't be required to plug stuff into certain HDMI ports. Just saying

Anyone else having issues with HDR? My father bought one mainly to use as a 4k bluray player. He said when he turned HDR on, he couldn't play movies. The TV would tell him there was no signal.

He has a Samsung KS8000, and we've watched movies on it with my Samsung 4k player no problem. With the HDR setting on the TV off, the XOne works fine, if he turns HDR on, he gets no signal from the XOne. Seems pretty weird. Microsoft told him to return it, so Amazon is sending a replacement on Friday.

Is there a dedicated HDMI port on the tv for HDR or do you have to turn that setting on on the tv for that particular port? Glad to know they are sending another xbox, though.

gohepcat

Banned
Anyone heard if the Xbox One S will get UASP support?

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/2...e-usb-3-0-uasp-for-really-fast-external-stora

Not sure if this was a hardware or software issue with the original Xbox One.

Hmmm. I think they are already using something similar to that. The external drive I have hooked up to my original Xbox One seems to be substantially faster than internal Sata 2 drive. The only way that would be possible is by using something other than the standard USB 3.0 spec.

I've been watching Newegg's eBay store page for good bundles. They just posted the 500GB Halo bundle with AC: Syndicate, Fallout 4, and MGS V for $329.00. Is this probably as good as we'll get until Black Friday?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-One-S-...-Metal-Gear-/302051863559?hash=item4653b1ac07

Just $30 more for 3 more games is a great deal
Fallout 4 is great
Metal gear solid V is also great
Assassins creed is alright

I wonder if GameStop still sells eBay gift cards, so tempted to get this bundle

thatJohann

I've been watching Newegg's eBay store page for good bundles. They just posted the 500GB Halo bundle with AC: Syndicate, Fallout 4, and MGS V for $329.00. Is this probably as good as we'll get until Black Friday?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-One-S-...-Metal-Gear-/302051863559?hash=item4653b1ac07

Is there a website or twitter account to find out about deals like these? I know about reddit /r/greatxboxdeals and about @wario64 on twitter. What else should I be checking?

Thx!

Try turning on UHD HDMI Color on for the input he's using it on.

Erv

can you or someone else keep us posted on whether they add any more deals because i would buy this if they included games i actually wanted and if I recall newegg had put several different bundles up for the other xbox ones.

TK-421

Hmmm. I think they are already using something similar to that. The external drive I have hooked up to my original Xbox One seems to be substantially faster than internal Sata 2 drive. The only way that would be possible is by using something other than the standard USB 3.0 spec.

That's cause the internal Xbox One SATA interface is limited to SATA2 support and is a slow 5400RPM drive. USB3 has more bandwidth than SATA2 and your external drive is probably faster than the internal one.

UASP is faster than the standard USB3 protocol and would be nice for my external SSD to be able to take advantage of it.

FYI: The Xbox One accepts 250GB SSDs even though they said 256GB is the minimum. This Samsung 850 EVO I bought from Amazon is working great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAJ412U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Try turning on UHD HDMI Color on for the input he's using it on.

That's what he's doing, I believe. By the way he described it (I haven't been over there to look at it) there isn't a setting to turn HDR on/off on the console? But, when he turns it on for that input for the TV, that's when he loses signal, even if it's a standard 1080p bluray.

Just to reiterate a logical follow-up question, it's only with the XOne. My 4k Samsung player works perfectly fine on his TV with HDR on. We just watched 4k Creed on it a couple weeks ago no problem.

Is there a dedicated HDMI port on the tv for HDR or do you have to turn that setting on on the tv for that particular port? Glad to know they are sending another xbox, though.

You can turn it on on any of the inputs. He tried multiple to be sure one wasn't fucked.

I came to post the deal too... lol, Newegg... "Games are CDs version"

Also because I'm sure many people are probably just scrolling past it...

$330 US DOLLARS, NO TAX OR SHIPPING IN MOST STATES! 9 GAMES BRUH!!!

You definately want to get an external HDD with it though, you're not gonna have much space after installing all the games...

1472097574764_zpsk3faeumv.jpg

I would have kept it if it didn't require an external power supply, but I never really use the damn thing anyway outside of the occasional movie and FH2 (which I sold since 3 is coming out soon). It didn't seem very useful on my PC either (couldn't even get it to work with Skype). Glad I was able to get $100 for it thanks to the adapter cable. Also managed to get it all in the adaptor box. :D Saves me some money on shipping. My 2TB upgrade was basically a wash after this.

Honestly they need to remodel the Kinect too, it's damn near a third of the size of the console. They should make a smaller white version that works just off of USB power, but we all know it's a dead accessory.

faer0n

That's what he's doing, I believe. By the way he described it (I haven't been over there to look at it) there isn't a setting to turn HDR on/off on the console? But, when he turns it on for that input for the TV, that's when he loses signal, even if it's a standard 1080p bluray.

Just to reiterate a logical follow-up question, it's only with the XOne. My 4k Samsung player works perfectly fine on his TV with HDR on. We just watched 4k Creed on it a couple weeks ago no problem.

You can turn it on on any of the inputs. He tried multiple to be sure one wasn't fucked.

Maybe hdr Mode only works with hdr Signals. My tv automaticly changes to hdr when i Start the Netflix app. Did you try it while playing a hdr movie?

Maybe hdr Mode only works with hdr Signals. My tv automaticly changes to hdr when i Start the Netflix app. Did you try it while playing a hdr movie?

Yes, he tried 4k blurays with HDR also. But, the TV handles non-HDR sources just fine with HDR mode turned on, I have the exact same TV.

Sounds like it isn't a widespread issue if no one else here is experiencing it. Hopefully his replacement fixes it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I made some quick videos of the Life of Pi issue I mentioned, still have no idea what's causing it.

Messing with the backlight in The Lego Movie just adjusts the backlight as usual, and other movies act the same way so far. In Life of Pi adjust the backlight makes the colors all weird, and I haven't been able to find settings that make it look normal.

I'm still really unclear how HDR works. I've noticed a lot of weird stuff. Mad Max: Fury Road looks completely different on disc compared to the downloadable version on Vudu, the Vudu version's colors are more vibrant to the point of looking oversaturated, and the HDR effects are more noticeable. at the beginning when Immortan Joe is giving his speech the "spotlight" on him looks noticeably brights, and when the camera is behind him there's noticeably more contrast between the view outside and the inside of the cavern. The disc version looks way better, the colors are a lot more natural, but the HDR effects are less drastic. TV is calibrated with the same settings for both.

I'm still not clear how I'm supposed to set up the TV either. I saw a post on AVS where a Vizio employee said that for Dolby Vision content you're just supposed to use the Calibrated Dark preset, no additional changes. but jacking the backlight all the way up makes it look better IMO. Not sure if the Calibrated Dark thing is for HDR10 as well or if that's supposed to be calibrated differently, but it still looks pretty damn incredible to me using that preset.

I've noticed that HDR content definitely looks better in a dark room, I think because my TV just doesn't get bright enough while playing HDR stuff. Looks fine in a dark room but if I try to play a movie during the afternoon on a weekend or whatever it can look like the movie is show is set in the evening since the picture seems dark. I have a 55" P-series.

I'm still having some pretty bad stuttering issues, not sure if it's the Xbox or my TV. I need to play some regular non-4K BluRays to see if it keeps up, I've never had a problem playing movies from Vudu off the tablet remote or streaming services though.

Anyway, not sure how interesting this is to anyone. If anyone has any ideas about the Life of Pi thing I'd love to hear.

HDR is a bit of a shit show in terms of standardization right now. All the studios are mastering the films different (to different brightness levels, brightness roll-offs, and on different mastering displays) and setting different metadata from title to title. Plus all of the TV manufacturers are doing their own thing in their HDR10 implementations.

And the calibration protocol for sets is essentially like weeks old.

Dolby Vision is probably the best right now since Dolby has more of a standardization, but that doesn't mean that it still can't get messed up my provider or TV. I know the Mad Max discrepancy has been discussed on AVS.

Smokey

Probably best to wait until next years sets to see what's going on with HDR. As mentioned above it's a giant cluster right now.

mike4001_

Honestly they need to remodel the Kinect too, it's damn near a third of the size of the console. They should make a smaller white version that works just off of USB power, but we all know it's a dead accessory.

I actually don´t really understand why Kinects needs this much power.

It´s 2 cameras and a microphone and I read they didn´t include much hardware with that because it would have been too expensive.

But yes => Same for me, I am not using the thing anymore because of all the cables I would need with the One S.

Would that paper it's wrapped in prevent moisture from getting into the system if left outside or in a damp environment while boxed?

I've yet to set my replacement up and had the windows open one night when there was a bit of dampness in the air. It's been driving my mind crazy with worry, although I know there's nothing to worry about realistically.

I hope to set it up tomorrow. My friend said he would the other day, but only if I bought him a bottle of rye and that feels dumb and kind of rude. So I think I'm going to do it, since I have to start a game I only have for a limited time.

Hopefully it will go well, and not be a shitshow like the last time.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Is there a website or twitter account to find out about deals like these? I know about reddit /r/greatxboxdeals and about @wario64 on twitter. What else should I be checking?

Thx!

After noticing the first couple S deals last month on various sites like Fatwallet and CAG, I just made a shortcut to Newegg's eBay listings, sorted from highest to lowest price. Obviously this won't catch if they accidentally make a price mistake and post something really great for the wrong price, but it'll have any of their normal bundles, usually listed on the first two lines. I just check the link a couple times a day. They seem to post new things at around 1700-1900 EST most of the time, though not always.

http://stores.ebay.com/Newegg/Video...2468&_sticky=1&_trksid=p4634.m14&_sop=3&_sc=1

pitchfork

Would that paper it's wrapped in prevent moisture from getting into the system if left outside or in a damp environment while boxed?

I've yet to set my replacement up and had the windows open one night when there was a bit of dampness in the air. It's been driving my mind crazy with worry, although I know there's nothing to worry about realistically.

I mean, unless you left it outside in the rain, then you have nothing to worry about

This is an OCD thing right? I know how much of a mindfuck that can be mate

gamz

I hope to set it up tomorrow. My friend said he would the other day, but only if I bought him a bottle of rye and that feels dumb and kind of rude. So I think I'm going to do it, since I have to start a game I only have for a limited time.

Hopefully it will go well, and not be a shitshow like the last time.

As long as it's not out in the pouring rain it's fine. Think of it this way it was probably in all kinds of hot crapped trucks getting to Amazon warehouse or wherever you bought it. It's fine.

thatJohann

After noticing the first couple S deals last month on various sites like Fatwallet and CAG, I just made a shortcut to Newegg's eBay listings, sorted from highest to lowest price. Obviously this won't catch if they accidentally make a price mistake and post something really great for the wrong price, but it'll have any of their normal bundles, usually listed on the first two lines. I just check the link a couple times a day. They seem to post new things at around 1700-1900 EST most of the time, though not always.

http://stores.ebay.com/Newegg/Video...2468&_sticky=1&_trksid=p4634.m14&_sop=3&_sc=1

Good idea! Thanks. Just bookmarked that link.

mrback

Hi
has anyone tried viewing 4k hdr stuff in the native youtube app? everything seems to play in 1080p when you choose to show video info in the settings.
cheers :)

Lima

Hi
has anyone tried viewing 4k hdr stuff in the native youtube app? everything seems to play in 1080p when you choose to show video info in the settings.
cheers :)

The Youtube app is not updated yet. IE also can't display 4k content so you can't use the browser either.

Top Bottom