• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

etta

my hard graphic balls
I messed up on the first one. Some "HDR" Vizio TVs are HDR but with Dolby Vision and not HDR10.

Don't ask me why. I posted a link.

And you quoted pre-edit >.>
I thought HDR 12-bit panels are backward with 10-bit colours so they only need an update to enable HDR10. I'll try to figure it out in the morning when. Am rested, I'll edit it then.
So most, if not all of my games are on my 1tb external hooked up to my xb1. If I get the S, plug that in and sign in...am I good? That simple?
Yep.

SOR5

tumblr_newvy1XEIs1t95h1uo1_500.gif

RedRum

Banned
Since I already have a 2TB drive, I'll grab the 500GB version. My PS4 and the OG Xbox will go. When Scorpio drops, the S will go.

Ushay

I think I may end up caving in for the 500GB version. Still have plenty of Netflix content to watch in 4k.. so I do have some incentive to swap my old console out for this.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Was planning to upgrade my launch system when this was unveiled at E3. Super sexy system.

But I just can't believe how the value of the original One has just absolutely plummeted. Between constant sales, bigger and bigger bundles, fire sales, crazy amount of extra stock, and the complete disappearance of Kinect; my $500 launch system can barely snag $100 on a trade-in or $150 or so on CL.

For that little, if rather just keep it... But on the flip side, I can't justify two of these systems. Especially when I know I'll be buying a Scorpio next year.

Erv

So I might get this and have yet to own an Xbox one. Really love 3d platformers ala banjo kazooie. Any out RIGHT NOW for Xboxone?

Wag

I read the UHD Player doesn't bitstream, so no Dolby Atmos, etc. Has this been confirmed?

KyleCross

Beyond more colors, HDR has better support for near-black and is brighter overall for brighter scenes and especially brighter specular highlights.

As such, it's not just more color, but brighter images in general, brighter highlights (explosions etc), and better near-black detail.

Someone else already mentioned the HDR10 vs Dolby Vision thing.
The thing that annoys me with HDR is it jacks your backlight setting to max. I keep my backlight on 8, HDR puts it at 20. And because it's metadata it'll jack back up to 20 even if you change it.

Purexed

Banned
This is wrong.

1. "Old" HDR is not may not mean HDR10 or Dolby Vision (Edit2: Due to Vizio not using HDR10, just Dolby Vision)
2. XBO S only supports HDR10
3. TV has to support HDR10. Some TVs only support Dolby Vision. (Edit2: Some Vizios)

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/troubleshooting-4K-and-HDR-on-xbox-one-s

This is wrong too, Vizio just released the HDR-10 upgrade on 2016 P and M series models, so Vizio is ready to rock with the Xbox One S.

I thought HDR 12-bit panels are backward with 10-bit colours so they only need an update to enable HDR10. I'll try to figure it out in the morning when. Am rested, I'll edit it then.

There is no 12 bit consumer display panels. Dolby Vision is 12bit depth (actually it might even be14bit), but no displays are 12 bit at the moment. Dolby Vision meta data is dynamic so it tells the display x items at x nits per scene. It then converts the 12 bit 4000 nit data to the display and the ETOF maps it to what the display is capable of. The rest falls off or clips

HDR10 and Dolby Vision are two entirely different things.

Like NeOak was saying some displays only support 1. The industry standard is HDR10, that is what is required by the UDHA for mastering UHD BluRay. Streaming services do not have to abide by that. Example. Vudu, for the longest time the ONLY HDR they had was dolby vision. Some Vizio's did only support DV until recently. They received a firmware update like 2 days ago for HDR10.

Generally/ideally if they have DV they probably have HDR10 but that may or may not be the case. (unless the Vizio was the only one that was DV only until this past update) If the Display is Ultra HD Premium certified it has HDR10 100%

In order for Xbox One S to support Dolby Vision it is a license issue, they have to buy the right to use it. HDR10 is the open standard.

greekappi

Whoa whoa whoa - hold anne,

Does this thing really play those new 4K Ultra HD Blurays out of the box? I don't mean it's a 4K upscaling bluray player but an actual UHD 4K bluray player? For some reason I don't remember this as a feature, just that it supports 4K video for Netflix and the like as well as upscaling games to 4K, but if it's a native actual 4K UHD bluray player, then that's an insane deal and now I'm tempted!

Also, would it be worth it to get an Xbox One S if I only have a 1080p TV? Won't it still have performance improvements with some games?

If and when I upgrade to a 4K TV, will I need to upgrade my receiver as well? I have an Onkyo from a couple years back, so I'm assuming they have receivers that are required for 4K? I don't have anything going directly from the unit (PS4, Wii U, Xbox One etc) to the TV, I'm not a heathen. I only have all HDMIs going into my receiver and then one monitor out HDMI going to my TV. What do I need in a receiver to make it work? Any recommendations?

NeOak

This is wrong too, Vizio just released the HDR-10 upgrade on 2016 P and M series models, so Vizio is ready to rock with the Xbox One S.

Perfect.

Quoting etta so he sees it.

Maybe add a small line for Vizio P and M owners to check for software updates?

In order for Xbox One S to support Dolby Vision it is a license issue, they have to buy the right to use it. HDR10 is the open standard.

Sadly, it isn't just a license. You need a codec chip for DV, otherwise a software update would be all that is needed on HDR10-only TVs to support Dolby Vision.

NeOak

Does this thing really play those new 4K Ultra HD Blurays out of the box? I don't mean it's a 4K upscaling bluray player but an actual UHD 4K bluray player? For some reason I don't remember this as a feature, just that it supports 4K video for Netflix and the like as well as upscaling games to 4K, but if it's a native actual 4K UHD bluray player, then that's an insane deal and now I'm tempted!

Also, would it be worth it to get an Xbox One S if I only have a 1080p TV? Won't it still have performance improvements with some games?

No, it isn't worth it for games if you have a 1080p TV since it most likely doesn't support HDR at all for games, and that is likely the only improvement they will get from the S.

Yes, it is a UHD BD player. Mind you, it needs the Anniversary update to be able to play them.

greekappi

No, it isn't worth it for games if you have a 1080p TV since it most likely doesn't support HDR at all for games, and that is likely the only improvement they will get from the S.

Yes, it is a UHD BD player. Mind you, it needs the Anniversary update to be able to play them.

What is the Anniversary update? Is that some sort of day one patch?

Fredrik

Awesome job on the OT etta!
I really don't need the S but... but... I want it sooo bad! :/
Best designed console since GBA SP.

The problem for me though is that I have the consoles connected to a Marantz receiver and Epson projector, which are both 1080p. The investment to start with 4K is very very high unless I want to downgrade everything else just to get 4K. Not sure if it's time to jump in just yet.

If and when I upgrade to a 4K TV, will I need to upgrade my receiver as well? I have an Onkyo from a couple years back, so I'm assuming they have receivers that are required for 4K? I don't have anything going directly from the unit (PS4, Wii U, Xbox One etc) to the TV, I'm not a heathen. I only have all HDMIs going into my receiver and then one monitor out HDMI going to my TV. What do I need in a receiver to make it work? Any recommendations?

I'm only getting it for HDR in games, as I already have a 4k blu ray player. Personally if you have a system that supports Atmos/DTS:X etc, I wouldn't use the xbox for a bluray player. The standard Xbox One wasn't able to pass Atmos or DTS:X from what I know, so I really don't expect the S to be able to do it. If it does that would be great, but if not it's not worth it if you have a set up that can actually utilize those.

Sadly, it isn't just a license. You need a codec chip for DV, otherwise a software update would be all that is needed on HDR10-only TVs to support Dolby Vision.

This is true, not sure why I didn't mention it as well, but its hardware as well.

Either way the FAQ should really only reference HDR10 and nothing else to avoid confusion.

It's going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out for them with HDR10 in games, HDCP 2.2, only having 1 HDMI out so it may not be really usable with legacy hardware etc

Not having any HDR games available right now at it's release is a missed opportunity won't really be able to dig into it until we have software for it

Hawk269

The thing that annoys me with HDR is it jacks your backlight setting to max. I keep my backlight on 8, HDR puts it at 20. And because it's metadata it'll jack back up to 20 even if you change it.

That should not matter when the system activates the HDR mode. It only looks horrid/blown out when you manually engage HDR mode but not feed it HDR content. On my Sony set, when I watch a UHD movie, it activates the HDR mode and like you said, it jacks the brightness level to the max, but it does not look blown out of anything, it looks fantastic. If I activate HDR mode without the UHD player doing it when it plays a HDR movie, colors and brightness are blown out of proportion. HDR content when played adjusts things on it's own so things do not look blown out, engaging HDR without feeding it HDR content it is going to looks really bad.

This brings me to a small gripe with MS and the Xbox One S. Phil & Team should of had at least one HDR game ready to go at launch of the unit or an existing game patched to take advantage of HDR. Right now, we have no real way to see how HDR gaming will be like until Forza Horizon 3 releases in September, if they had something like Halo 5 with HDR added or some other high profile game, it would of been great for new owners to see what the Xbox S can do with HDR gaming. While we can see the impact of UHD movies with HDR, the gaming aspect is what I really want to check out. Even having a indie title with HDR would of been welcomed. I think this was/is a missed opportunity. They proudly talk about stunning HDR gaming on the Xbox S, but they have nothing gaming wise until mid/late September to show it off.

Will the Gears 4 bundle be Xbox PlayAnywhere?

Beyond more colors, HDR has better support for near-black and is brighter overall for brighter scenes and especially brighter specular highlights.

As such, it's not just more color, but brighter images in general, brighter highlights (explosions etc), and better near-black detail.

Someone else already mentioned the HDR10 vs Dolby Vision thing.
I can think of an existing game on the system which would realy "pop" with a HDR update ;)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The wait for the Gears console is going to be fucking painful. Gone be hard to resist caving and buying the 2TB white one.

Xenoflare

I wonder if it would have sold a lot more.

I swear this thing has the perfect console to controller proportions ratio.

I think the Xbox One is eerily repeating PS3's life albeit it doesn't have the ability to catch up to it's rival, being a big ass glossy media brick and something sleek and stylish after a slim down

When I saw the One S it gave me the same feeling I had 6 years ago with the PS3 slim.

That's why I'm getting mine.

I dont really know much about tv's, but my mom bought a curved 4k one recently. It was a Samsung. I couldnt find any mention of HDR on the box. It listed something called PurColor and UHD dimming, im assuming thats not it?

Top Bottom