• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Scaling Chip Improvements in February Update (No more sharpening filter!)

thelastword

Banned
I hope you guys realize that this is just going to make the games look blurrier in general. I mean any sub-native HD game will look much softer without the artificial sharpener.

Mononoke

Banned
I hope you guys realize that this is just going to make the games look blurrier in general. I mean any sub-native HD game will look much softer without the artificial sharpener.

It is what it is. If the game looks blurry, that's the flaw of the systems hardware. I would much rather the game look natural, vs overly harsh sharpening effects that make things look jaggy (on top of the crushed blacks).

The filter didn't make it look better.

Jomjom

Banned

By "softer" you mean what it's supposed to look like when you up-rez a sub-native HD game instead of making it look even worse by applying an artificial sharpening filter right?

I hope you realize that if you prefer you can just turn your TV or monitor's sharpness setting to maximum and ruin your eyes.

The way MS had it set, people who didn't like the sharpening couldn't "unsharpen" it.

Does anyone have BF4? I don't have an Xbox One but I know the games textures looks very different on my TV whenever I increase or decrease the sharp levels.

def sim

Oh gosh, I'm glad they sorted this out

It was really harsh to me. Going from AC4 PS4 to AC4 XBone was enlightening and disappointing. A hit in image resolution I can deal with, but the strong filter just killed the look of most all games.

I turned off my console even completely unplugged it to power it all the way down. Turned it back on with the touch button on the one. Then the dashboard came up as usual after over a minute. Still no update. So i xbox off'd it then waited 5 mins.. Turned it back on with xbox on and dash came up fast but still no update =(

My power brick however has almost always had a white light on in this state since launch. Its barely ever been orange unless i hold the power button on the console to turn it off.

I dont get why there isnt simply a check for updates. I have my preferences set to automatically download updates so whats going on?

Softer, but not blurry? Are you serious?
Yes, quite. Softer is what my PC games look like when I run them slightly below native resolution. Blurry is something associated with things being difficult to see. "Blurry" is what happens to the screen when you pan or sprint in KZSF, for example. Or when an EMP was dropped in BF4 before they removed the visual effect. Uncomfortable to look at and often headache-inducing. Nothing here is difficult to see or look at; it's simply softer down the lines and edges.

Or is that difficult for you to wrap your brain around?

Mononoke

Banned
I turned off my console even completely unplugged it to power it all the way down. Turned it back on with the touch button on the one. Then the dashboard came up as usual after over a minute. Still no update. So i xbox off'd it then waited 5 mins.. Turned it back on with xbox on and dash came up fast but still no update =(

My power brick however has almost always had a white light on in this state since launch. Its barely ever been orange unless i hold the power button on the console to turn it off.

I dont get why there isnt simply a check for updates. I have my preferences set to automatically download updates so whats going on?

Your power brick should always be white. In the last update, the brick would blink white when the update was ready to install. However, many have said this update, their power brick didn't blink....and just by taking it out of sleep mode the update would start downloading. It looks like the method that worked last time isn't working. Seems like the updates are just being dished out randomly, and you can't force it to install. :(

EDIT: I agree with you though. They try to make updates more "seamless" by having them automatically download, but when your update isn't downloading, it becomes frustrating that you can't just go to a section and initiate the update (like you do on your phone or PC).

Caayn

Have it in instant-on mode. It's updating when the Xbox logo starts to softly blink. Or if you come home and the PSU is orange instead of white it's done a system update.
Try turning it off completely(energy saving mode) reboot and turn instant-on on. Shut it down and wait a couple of minutes till the Xbox logo softly blinks.

Kinyou

Great news! Unbelievable that removing a feature makes stuff actually better. MS really screwed up with that one.

RoKKeR

Oh this has an effect on Titanfall too? Awesome! I was noticing a similar overly sharp effect with Titanfall, similar to what AC4 used to look like.

AC4 looks a lot better now, looking forward to seeing how Titanfall looks now. [spoilers]if the servers were up.[/spoiler]

Mononoke

Banned
Have it in instant-on mode. It's updating when the Xbox logo starts to softly blink. Or if you come home and the PSU is orange instead of white it's done a system update.
Try turning it off completely(energy saving mode) reboot and turn instant-on on. Shut it down and wait a couple of minutes till the Xbox logo softly blinks.

Yeah I tried that. I turn Energy Saving On. Then I did a hard reboot. Turned on Instant On, and put it in sleep. Guess I'll try waiting 15 min this time.

Thrakier

Yes, quite. Softer is what my PC games look like when I run them slightly below native resolution. Blurry is something associated with things being difficult to see. "Blurry" is what happens to the screen when you pan or sprint in KZSF, for example. Or when an EMP was dropped in BF4 before they removed the visual effect. Uncomfortable to look at and often headache-inducing. Nothing here is difficult to see or look at; it's simply softer down the lines and edges.

Or is that difficult for you to wrap your brain around?

Yes. FXAA makes a picture softer, for eaxmple. Sub native resolution is just blurry. Very much so.

Gurrry

Ok just played about 10 mins of KI and tested the new scaling.

It didnt look terrible before or anything, but this is definitely much smoother. Im digging it.

Now.. if Titanfall would put its servers back up...

Mononoke

Banned
Ok just played about 10 mins of KI and tested the new scaling.

It didnt look terrible before or anything, but this is definitely much smoother. Im digging it.

Now.. if Titanfall would put its servers back up...

How did you get your update to install? Still trying to get mine to. =/

Ok followed the steps and now the xbox one is off. You are saying that it will just randomly start blinking white on the power button at some point?

nate75

Ok followed the steps and now the xbox one is off. You are saying that it will just randomly start blinking white on the power button at some point?

the Xbox light will flash for 30 secs or so ,after it stops flashing turn on your xbox it wiil start updating

Hawk269

Not sure where to put this request for help so here it goes.

I just moved and reconnected all my Audio Video Gear. For some reason, every once in a while, The Xbox One will change the audio to just stereo versus the 7.1 I set it at. Prior to moving it never did this as well. It is completely random when it does it. For example, the first few days of reconnecting it, it would change all the time. For the last 36 hours it was fine staying at 7.1, but today when I got home, it magically changed itself to Stereo.

Any ideas on what I should look into?

Thanks for any help!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The games aren't blurry. They are softer, but not blurry. And it is a clear improvement.

No, they're blurry. Upscaling 720p to 1080p results in blur. Dead Rising is incredibly blurry.

I don't understand why this would be a respawn request. I mean, I get why it is or was, but it had to be fixed for every game. It was broken previously. Developers were actively avoiding using it.

Caayn

It worked for me and others are saying that it worked for them too. But it doesn't seem to work for everyone.

Metfanant

No, they're blurry. Upscaling 720p to 1080p results in blur. Dead Rising is incredibly blurry.

I don't understand why this would be a respawn request. I mean, I get why it is or was, but it had to be fixed for every game. It was broken previously. Developers were actively avoiding using it.

id agree with them being blurry...but the images were already blurry...the edges were just sharpened to hell and back...the result of removal of the sharpening filter is a "softer" image, not one that is more blurry

Not sure about that, I think upscaling is similar to a Gaussian blur.
put it this way...if im watching a bluray on my TV...its in 1080p...no scaling....

- if i crank the sharpness up to 100...the image is overly sharp...

- if i drop the sharpness to 0...the image is not BLURRY....it is soft...

in the case of the Xbone...we had blurry upscaled images...with razor wire edges due to sharpening...now we have blurry upscaled images that have more natural soft edges...ill take the second scenario every time

Not sure where to put this request for help so here it goes.

I just moved and reconnected all my Audio Video Gear. For some reason, every once in a while, The Xbox One will change the audio to just stereo versus the 7.1 I set it at. Prior to moving it never did this as well. It is completely random when it does it. For example, the first few days of reconnecting it, it would change all the time. For the last 36 hours it was fine staying at 7.1, but today when I got home, it magically changed itself to Stereo.

Any ideas on what I should look into?

Thanks for any help!

The same thing happens to me except I have mine set to 5.1 uncompressed and it drives me insane.

Mononoke

Banned
It worked for me and others are saying that it worked for them too. But it doesn't seem to work for everyone.

Yeah, this method worked for me for the last update. But I'm not having luck this time. Oh well. I guess it will eventually roll out for me. Bleh.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
id agree with them being blurry...but the images were already blurry...the edges were just sharpened to hell and back...the result of removal of the sharpening filter is a "softer" image, not one that is more blurry

put it this way...if im watching a bluray on my TV...its in 1080p...no scaling....

- if i crank the sharpness up to 100...the image is overly sharp...

- if i drop the sharpness to 0...the image is not BLURRY....it is soft...

in the case of the Xbone...we had blurry upscaled images...with razor wire edges due to sharpening...now we have blurry upscaled images that have more natural soft edges...

Oh it is definitely better. And if you don't think so, you can add a Serrated Ass filter by fiddling with your TV.

def sim

So any news on the crush blacks? Great news, just seems they would fix both at the same time.

Gamma is still skewed. I don't know why they have it like that, it was the same with the 360. I guess it's a weird preference of whoever is in charge of these things.

Metfanant

Oh it is definitely better. And if you don't think so, you can add a Serrated Ass filter by fiddling with your TV.

which i think is perfectly acceptable...some people shockingly liked it...so now they can do it manually on their own...but it should have never been implemented by the console...

personally i probably have the sharpness settings a little high on my TV...though i have a Rear Projection DLP which has a naturally softer image to begin with...and i like a little extra contrast in my life as well lol

Top Bottom