• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Stress Test Disc Found in Launch Day Console

From Reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1r7aos/i_found_this_in_my_xbox_one/

7FJ0Af6.jpg

Apparently something else needs to be plugged into the XB1 for the stress test to work

http://www.geek.com/games/xbox-one-...tched-cases-and-misplaced-test-discs-1578034/

On a lighter note, one gamer opened his Xbox One disc drive to find a surprise inclusion: a Microsoft MTE Test Disc marked “Confidential.” Some investigation revealed the disc to be used for stress testing the console. It won’t load in the machine unless it is first hooked up to another testing device, which only Microsoft has access to. Still, work is underway to pull the ISO off the disc and share it with everyone to see if it contains anything interesting.

Not entirely sure it was threadworthy but thought it interesting. Imagine PS4 had to have the same type of thing. Find it funny that XB1's failures have mostly been disc drives from what I've seen. It's still likely a minor amount and not anything unexpected.

Lock if old

The drives indeed must have stress.

They sound like typewriters.

<cringes>

Interesting find in the maw of a One. Curious to know what's lies within.

Borman

This could be used to crack the console or develop a usb dongle that bypasses DRM.

That won't happen. Every Xbox has had similar disks. The disk is basically a launcher with very, very specific parameters, with some functions that won't do anything after the console is setup anyway (if it is like the Xbox and 360 anyway).

The original Xbox has at least 3 or 4 different versions, each with different tasks. There are disks that flashed the console, tested parts, the whole deal.

BibiMaghoo

What the actual fuck?

I would not want a console I bought as new that had been picked out of a batch to be stress tested.

No thanks. I would return it for another.

Seanspeed

Banned
How legit is this? I mean, its not hard to print a DVD with a label...

Not saying its BS, its just something quite easy to fake.

Wonder what they will find. This could be either nothing or something big but i'm thinking nothing at all since it says it requires something else to operate which is probably where the crucial stuff is at.

Orlics

What the actual fuck?

I would not want a console I bought as new that had been picked out of a batch to be stress tested.

No thanks. I would return it for another.

I don't know, statistically speaking you might have better luck with a console that ran a stress test and passed than a console that didn't run a stress test at all. Not enough information to make that call, though.

Storm360

This could be used to crack the console or develop a usb dongle that bypasses DRM.

not at all

it will be basically something like a forza 5 race course, with the cars moving super fast and lots of AI etc, designed to basically get the console to warm up and get moving

at least that was the case of the 360 stress disc that got found in a repaired xbox, except that was for PGR 3

I don't know, statistically speaking you might have better luck with a console that ran a stress test and passed than a console that didn't run a stress test at all. Not enough information to make that call, though.

Yep, give me a system that's already burned in. I'd pay an extra $50.

Top Bottom