• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One system update coming today

TheZink

anyone else having more problems with Kinect lately?

I have to say Xbox On probably 10 times for it to turn on.

Its really driving me nuts.

I have a PS4 and it works fine.

Every time I turn on the Xbox its problems after problem.
Lag in the UI. Not signing me in. Wont repsond to voice commands.

I've calibrated Kintect probably 10 times in the past two days. Moved it to different areas and still problems. This is in a quiet and empty room. Im really thinking of just returning it until they fix all these problems.

acksman

I've calibrated Kintect probably 10 times in the past two days. Moved it to different areas and still problems. This is in a quiet and empty room. Im really thinking of just returning it until they fix all these problems.

When calibrating make sure you turn the volume up very loud. It will tell you if it is to loud. When I did it properly it made all the difference. I can now speak in a regular voice with the TV volume up and it works well with Xbox On.

If you are still not happy with it just return it, no use in having something you are not going to use.

Then you should keep your PS4 and return Xbox One. Xbox On never work right for me after the first few times, it now usually take 3 commands for it to "wake up" but works for everyone else in my family. Also when come off suspend sometimes, HDMI have trouble with "handshaking" similar to issue with PS3 many years ago.

All other voice control works fine for me. I sold my PS4 because I prefer the exclusive on Xbox One at the moment, and see no reason to keep two very similar system.

TheZink

When calibrating make sure you turn the volume up very loud. It will tell you if it is to loud. When I did it properly it made all the difference. I can now speak in a regular voice with the TV volume up and it works well with Xbox On.

If you are still not happy with it just return it, no use in having something you are not going to use.

Thanks. I have tried that. Loud and quiet. Doesn’t really matter. Just won’t work consistently at all. :(

NavNucST3

Thanks. I have tried that. Loud and quiet. Doesn’t really matter. Just won’t work consistently at all. :(

I actually prefer to calibrate when there is more background noise than when it's less quiet so whenever I did my calibrations v1 and v2 I've always waited until things like my furnace and/or dishwasher were going then I would start the cal. Currently, however, I would say that v1 performed better than v2 has but that's a tricky comparison since the v2 commands have increased dramatically.

"EDIT" I reposted this in another thread that is probably more appropriate. I hope that ok.

I have had almost no problems with the Kinect. Are you saying "Xbox...On"?

I think it's very important to just have a momentary pause between the words "Xbox" and the command. It works nearly flawless for me if I follow that simple rule.

TheZink

Then you should keep your PS4 and return Xbox One. Xbox On never work right for me after the first few times, it now usually take 3 commands for it to "wake up" but works for everyone else in my family. Also when come off suspend sometimes, HDMI have trouble with "handshaking" similar to issue with PS3 many years ago.

All other voice control works fine for me. I sold my PS4 because I prefer the exclusive on Xbox One at the moment, and see no reason to keep two very similar system.

Ive thought about that a lot. My 7 year old son loves the xbox which is the one reason I havent. He loves it logging him in when it sees him. Funny thing is facial recognition works fine for him.

I know it's been said before, but calibrating Kinect's audio features with the sound cranked up as loud as you can go makes a huge difference in the reliability of voice commands. Last night I cranked up my sound to reference level and ever since then I barely have to speak up and the voice commands are working about 99% of the time or so. It's pretty amazing actually.

TheGrue

I've still not received the update automatically. Last night I tried setting it to power save mode, turn it off, turn it on, uncheck and check auto download...nothing worked, it seemed. Turned it on this morning and it said it is time to update, but I think it is downloading something, so I believe it never did it automatically.

Just curious if the people who had it work also have the beta fast game launch thing enabled. I was wondering if maybe that was jacking with it.

Remf

Wait, you sold your PS4 that JUST came out because it didn't have enough exclusives at the moment? I smell BS.

You can't voice command to specific channel numbers right? Say "Xbox, Watch channel 5000"

No, and this sucks. The OneGuide has the wrong HD channel commands for Comcast Little Rock so whenever I say "Watch ESPN," I get an on demand channel. I was hoping the latest update would fix this, but I'm sure this is a separate issue that will be fixed in a TV app update. I've contact customer support about the issue and it seems other Comcast cities are having similar issues.

Wait, you sold your PS4 that JUST came out because it didn't have enough exclusives at the moment? I smell BS.

I would consider doing the same if my games weren't purchased digitally. I can't imagine I'll be playing it that much after I'm done with Ass Creed IV, at least until DriveClub and Infamous come out, but I may give Knack another go on the hardest setting. I'm still happy to have the console, though, as It performs nicely for sure. It's just that XB1 will probably get most of my playtime since it'll be my Killer Instinct Box. :)

TheGrue

The only other setting I have set that I would think might interfere with this would be I had it set to never turn off the XBox automatically , instead of 1 or 6 hours. I just changed it to 6, but won't see if that matters until next update.

beanman25

No, and this sucks. The OneGuide has the wrong HD channel commands for Comcast Little Rock so whenever I say "Watch ESPN," I get an on demand channel. I was hoping the latest update would fix this, but I'm sure this is a separate issue that will be fixed in a TV app update. I've contact customer support about the issue and it seems other Comcast cities are having similar issues.

That's a bummer. I've got Uverse, and can't voice to certain channels.

How about turning the cable box on and off? What command would that be?

I just set up my Kinect last night and it works perfectly, but I'm in a small room and sitting real close to it.

You can't voice command to specific channel numbers right? Say "Xbox, Watch channel 5000"

No, and this sucks. The OneGuide has the wrong HD channel commands for Comcast Little Rock so whenever I say "Watch ESPN," I get an on demand channel.

Are you sure?, that was the first thing I tried. "Xbox, watch one, zero, zero, two" and it went to 1002. I haven't done it since launch day so maybe I was hallucinating. I will try it again tonight to see.

GavinGT

Banned
I've still not received the update automatically. Last night I tried setting it to power save mode, turn it off, turn it on, uncheck and check auto download...nothing worked, it seemed. Turned it on this morning and it said it is time to update, but I think it is downloading something, so I believe it never did it automatically.

Just curious if the people who had it work also have the beta fast game launch thing enabled. I was wondering if maybe that was jacking with it.

I am using the beta option for fast resuming on one of my consoles and not on the other one. Both consoles got their updates about 8 hours ago while they were in standby.

What seriously, you are calling me out on this? Why is it a BS, I sold it to a friend at work who really want one and I am not using it much. I got GT6 to keep my busy along with Forza 5. I bought systems to play games not for some silly fanboy agenda. Why would I have $400.00 sit on my shelf not being use. As is I barely have enough time to play on one system.

Are you sure?, that was the first thing I tried. "Xbox, watch one, zero, zero, two" and it went to 1002. I haven't done it since launch day so maybe I was hallucinating. I will try it again tonight to see.
Hmm... wiil try again tonight. Haven't tried since launch day either.

watership

If you ran the calibration many times and the volume on your tv is loud, and it's still not working... I think your kinect/xbox one might be busted. Voice commands worked well for me on the old kinect, and if you're not getting basic voice commands to work, there is a problem.

Did you try to get someone else to test the voice commands a well? I have noticed that the kinect sometimes just shits the bed with some voices, maybe it's part of the learning side of the voice processing?

I would definitely be returning it if I were in your shoes. It really doesn't seem like your problems are typical though and that's certainly not what I've experienced (outside of the not signing me in a couple times). Possibly you have a faulty unit?

TheZink

If you ran the calibration many times and the volume on your tv is loud, and it's still not working... I think your kinect/xbox one might be busted. Voice commands worked well for me on the old kinect, and if you're not getting basic voice commands to work, there is a problem.

Did you try to get someone else to test the voice commands a well? I have noticed that the kinect sometimes just shits the bed with some voices, maybe it's part of the learning side of the voice processing?

it definitely likes my wife much more than me. It tends to work much better for her.

TheZink

I would definitely be returning it if I were in your shoes. It really doesn't seem like your problems are typical though and that's certainly not what I've experienced (outside of the not signing me in a couple times). Possibly you have a faulty unit?

Funny thing is I went home at lunch and did a full hard rest of the system and it was working much better even though I had done that just a day ago. Thats the problem for me though. One day it will work just fine. The next it wont work barely at all.

derfybzh

Xbox update didn't fixes back to home crash from most of my games when I play multi : NBA, Call Of Duty, Battlefield. I'm so fed up , and microsoft seems to not care of all the players who have those troubles since European launch. Call the support they say sorry mate you European are not enough vocal about your trouble. Only have seen a few articles about that. Going back to PS4 till they fix it !For the record both hardware I get crashed , even the one send by the support. Seems to me like a memory leak.
Very disappointed ....

JetJetJaguar

Neo Member
Sad that this patch didn't address issues with party chat during games. I know they are talking about fixing that but today or "day one" would be better about a feature so integral to "the experience".

rokkerkory

Xbox update didn't fixes back to home crash from most of my games when I play multi : NBA, Call Of Duty, Battlefield. I'm so fed up , and microsoft seems to not care of all the players who have those troubles since European launch. Call the support they say sorry mate you European are not enough vocal about your trouble. Only have seen a few articles about that. Going back to PS4 till they fix it !For the record both hardware I get crashed , even the one send by the support. Seems to me like a memory leak.
Very disappointed ....

Man that sucks, I can only feel your frustration.

This is why I won't jump into next-gen until 2 years from now.

Very disappointed ....

I think BF4 is the culprit. After that game crashes, everything else does repeatedly until I cold boot the sucker. Some people think it's a memory leak issue because of this.

I think BF4 is the culprit. After that game crashes, everything else does repeatedly until I cold boot the sucker. Some people think it's a memory leak issue because of this.

I'd have to agree only because I don't have BF4. Since launch I've had Ryse crash on me once and NBA2K14 crash twice. Still shitty as I don't think any crashes are acceptable but definitely not as bad as he's getting.

Bsigg12

Very disappointed ....

I haven't played BF4 in 4 days and haven't had a single crash. I kept having issues with BF4 crashing so I said fuck it and haven't played it since and Ryse, DR3 and Peggle 2 have not crashed once since. I think BF4 may be causing a memory leak.

derfybzh

It wasn't BF4, I played Call of straight from Cold boot without even touching BF4 since a week and all time I play Call of it drops every two to three games (multi) to dash. Then impossible to launch anything until I cold boot another time.
I think I have more played with the power on button than with my games ...

It wasn't BF4, I played Call of straight from Cold boot without even touching BF4 since a week and all time I play Call of it drops every two to three games (multi) to dash. Then impossible to launch anything until I cold boot another time.
I think I have more played with the power on button than with my games ...

I've spent about 15 hours on Ghosts and I've had it crash to the dashboard once.

Ghosts has been the only completely stable game for me. Dead Rising 3 is mostly stable, but I got crazy frame drops that didn't clean up until after a hard reboot of the system. Forza crashes to dash, Ryse locked up.

I don't think so. But I can tell the thing "Xbox, Watch Fox Sports One" and have it go to FS1. "Xbox, Watch Fox Sports Two" and have it go to Fox Sports One... and of course "Xbox, Watch Fox Sports West" and you guessed it, straight to Fox Sports One again. Seems to understand ESPN channels at least. Still a piece of shit.

Top Bottom